Home General Discussion

New iPod

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
I'm baaaaack!

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/

indextop20050907.jpg

The new iPod Nano. I'll have to buy one now.

Oh, and iTunes 5 is out too.

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    You still don't have my powerbook nyah nyah. =D
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    damn this thing is fucking crazy, and it comes in black... I mean... wtf???
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to add a rant to the fun, kdr-wise, why is it that i can't download quicktime without downloading itunes?
    and to add insult to injury, you can't just choose to install quicktime seperately, you need to uninstall itunes afterwards.
    That ipod nano looks cool, though. i really wonder how clear the screen is, as the screens in the photos (which are just pasted in, no doubt) look amazing.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    One of the guys at LD picked one of these up yesterday. Very nice and compact.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i've got quicktime 7 installed, and it didn't install itunes, pea.

looks like they listened to people complaining about the lack of a screen on the shuttle.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    to add a rant to the fun, kdr-wise, why is it that i can't download quicktime without downloading itunes?
    and to add insult to injury, you can't just choose to install quicktime seperately, you need to uninstall itunes afterwards.
    That ipod nano looks cool, though. i really wonder how clear the screen is, as the screens in the photos (which are just pasted in, no doubt) look amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya that really bugged me too. But then I was using Musicmatch and found that iTunes was so much better.

I use my iPod manly for going to the gym. I found that you don't need a screen. Most of the time you just adjust the volume and hit next track. I think they got the Shuffle right. I don't need my music player to be a ...... also.

I still have my 1st(2nd?)Gen. iPod 10G. The battery is fine but the screen died years ago. Not realy missing it.
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    Still lacks gapless playback, crossfading, hierarchical playlists, parametric EQ, and decent dynamic range compression.

But I got suckered into buying one. My motorcycle enjoys making any hard drive based player go crazy, so this should be good for holding enough songs to give me a selection, and also never have skipping/lockup issues.

I just wish Apple would actually add an audio based feature to the iPod instead of a screen lock.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Look at the size of that thing! I wonder if it will fit into my PDA's CF slot? Does it support OGG?

Pea: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm&ei=JNEmQ9V00JZGwO21zgc
    No need to istall another player just for one format.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Does it support OGG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cmon, we are talking about itunes. No, it wont support something it cannot control. (Without modded firmware).

iRiver bitches!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    im afraid that thing would slip through the 5 year old holes in my pockets made from keys.

guess i need new pants.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    looks like i'd put it in my back pocket, forget about it, sit on it and it'll just snap in half.

my cd/mp3 sony discman still does the job...

surely at that size you'd need great vision just to read the display?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I think I'm going to wait around for this one:

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5944.html

it will probably make me poor, but I'd rather upgrade a device I already carry rather than add a new one (don't have an mp3 player yet, just an mp3 cd deck in the car). This phone has 4GB of storage, WiFi transfer including music sharing with nearby phones, 2 MP camera, games and videos for planes. . . mmmmmm.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    doc_rob: heh, yeah, my brother was talking about getting one of those. wireless linux network booting from a phone, anyone? tongue.gif
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone that wants to buy me an ipod, feel free. That nano looks crazy.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Bought a 4 GB today. These things are slick!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    while neat, i'd be afraid of breaking it. I'd prefer a nice 30-40 gig ipod or iriver just so I have enough space to fit a good chunk of my music library.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i really dont like it when people buy things because they are smaller but less functional. i have a 30 gigabyte zen and its quite large, and people are always "thats fucking huge" and then resume on with their tiny little 4 gigabyte ipod that wouldnt fit half of my music.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Keg: While this didn't sell me on the nano, I thought it was pretty amusing:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

I would think an ipod or any other device with a hd (moving parts) would be more prone to breaking than a flash memory device, but what do I know?

Mishra: Good thing I paid for it with my money and not yours I guess eh? =]

I already own several portable hard drives and didn't want yet another with added music playing capability. I've never really seen the need to lug my entire music collection around with me either. I also hate carrying stuff - doesn't matter what it is - my wallet, my keys, my cell phone - even pocket change drives me nuts, so the smaller my music player the better.

This is a nice compromise between a 20-40 GB solution (too big) and a shuffle (nice and compact, but not enough memory and no screen for searching through song lists). Basically, it has everything I need or want. To me that's good product design, and worth spending some money on. I don't mind paying extra for apple's aesthetic or brand either.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i went into work monday and my ipod was completely froze onto i tried the reboot thing.. no response so i left it there off the charger thing to let the battery die,, maybe that will reset it.. after that and it randomly deleting ALL my music (the space is still there, just can not access the songs) and the inherent pile of shit that is itunes (ended up using the winamp plug now) i pretty much completley regret ever buying the overpriced piece of crap, i have it and one of the nice bose docking bays with speakers. so... what is the big deal about the nano? is it just like a bit smaller? i mean it seems every five minutes they release a new slightly smaller pod and everyone rushes to buy them.. i'm not sure if i get it.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    When your ipod freezes, hold down the Menu and Play button at the same time to do a hard reset.

I had the same thing happen with the songs. Use windows explorer and browse to the ipod. There should be a bunch of hidden folders on there. One is called "Music" or some such. The folder you are looking for will be labeled F01, F02....etc (or something in the same pattern..). Grab those folders, drag them back to your hard drive and re-add them to the itunes library. Ta-dah. Fixed.
  • Vark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vark polycounter lvl 18
    In the even that reset doesn't work, let it sit until the battery dies and you can usually reset it that way.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...i have a 30 gigabyte zen and its quite large, and people are always "thats fucking huge" and then resume on with their tiny little 4 gigabyte ipod that wouldnt fit half of my music.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife just got the new Creative Zen Sleek 20 gig, and absolutely loves it. It's just a hair smaller than the regular 40/60 gig Ipods. No color screen, but the sound is fantastic, and she doesn't have to use ITunes, which she is not fond of. It'll also play WMAs, which I personally prefer. It also has a generous 18 hour battery life, and is priced fairly.

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=13599
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I share Rhino's opinion (wow)

it's true...my Ipod is plagued with problems. It isn't immediatly found on every PC I have (work, laptop, desktop) reliably, it caused some sort of a mishap and I lost my music library, and it doesnt skip over to the next directory once it finishes playing...how unintuitive!

I think people (including me) liked the ipod cuz it was:
    -marketed well
    -it's pretty
    -it has a clever and unique control scheme

The rest of the features are mediocre or poor in my estimation. itunes pisses me off SO much. God, I hate that application.

-R
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    why is it that i can't download quicktime without downloading itunes?

[/ QUOTE ]

oddly, you choose to download the Beta and you can download it on it's own or with iTunes.

the new iTunes crashes on me after a larger playlist for some reason, but only on Windows. not that it bothers me much, as Media Player has a better sound system with SRS.

As far as the iPod goes, they just seem to be getting smaller... but a quick question, why does the price not seem to change much?

Reason I don't have an iPod is because they're like £200-ish, and I'm not really that willing to part with over 3x the money for something that does basically what my Muvo does.

seems to be getting kinda ridiculous now imo
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya kub, that would not work on my ipod, i had to let it sit till the battery died.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    On my old one you have to hold down Menu+Play+Pev.+Next for about 5+ sec.

I think you need to hold it down longer.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    help me win a free nano!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've rebooted it several times before, this time no ammount of holding it would work, it was frozen solid
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I've not had any problems with my 1st gen ipod. I was in costco today and they had the 20 gig ipod photo there for $239 which seems to be a pretty good price. They'll have the 2 gig nano for $189 according to the manager I talked to. I still cant decide if I should bite on the 4 gig nano or do the 20 gig. hmm..