Home General Discussion

Life update

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys!

Sorry it's been such a long time sinse I posted anything, but I've ben busy.
As some of you know, the GF came back from Kuwait. We did a relationship upgrade from BF & GF to Husband and Wife. We then started packing to move to the Great Northwest from Indiana. We finally made it here after a disatorous start. We were taking my van and the wifes car. Well, the van died in Illinois. There went my trnsportation. We got a U-haul for 2000 bucks! (we couldn't find another van for that price frown.gif ). That also put us behind schedule by a day.
We finally made it to Everett Washington, pulled into our apartment complex and both said "yuck!". Lesson learned here. Don't believe online apartmnt descriptions. We needed a place to live and we already paid the deposit and first months lease, so we're staying for a bit. Nexy day I check my email and find that the job I thought I had lined up was gone. It seems that they needed me to contact them the day before. Unfortunately I hadn't been able to check email for 4 days and didn't know that. Crap happens, had to move on. I got thge resume out and started applying like crazy and also started doing temp work. The wife is still waiting for her fingerprints to clear so she can teach here, but they haven't gone through yet. So here we are in Washington basicly unemployed and working on making a new home
On the bright side, I just go a message from nintendo saying they would like to interview me for a tech support position, and another tech recruiter wants to talk with me on monday.

I'm hoping I can get life together enough to do some of my mediocore 3d soon.

cya smile.gif

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Hey dave, good luck and congrats. smile.gif I hope things work out for you.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Ironically this is also how I started out up in the northwest...moved from Oregon to goto school with nothing more than $300 bux and a small uhaul of my stuffs and 1 friend living up here to show me the ropes.

It'll get better soon, just be patient wink.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    good luck with it all

It sounds like you made it over the hump smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Geez, if you marriage survives all this, then I think you've got a strong relationship to last wink.gif

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck. Hopefully those new offers will turn into something great for you.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayer that's pretty scary that you started this way also.
    BTW south Everett sucks, at least in my area it does.
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm sure things will get better. I'll update you guys later.
    I'm about to take a test to see if I'm fit to work for nintendo phone support crazy.gif
    Going to wait for the kids to go to sleep though. I can't concentrate when they keep yelling "DAD" every few minutes.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    It took me six months after moving up here to finally land my job at Gas Powered Games. The 3d market just isn't as big as it is in a place like Los Angeles or the bay area, but there are still definitely jobs to be found. Just hang in there and keep looking, something's bound to turn up.

Check out sites like garagegames.com for freelance work. And you might want to look into placement agencies around here like Filter to get you some contract work to hold you over. Good luck with everything.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the words of advice FatAssasin. I really don't do 3D as a career. I do tech support for a living. I'm way too slow to do anything art related professionally. Lots of IT jobs out here so it's just a matter of time till I get a job. Heck if worse comes to worse I was a baker for 13 years. I can always go back to that.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOOT!!
    2 more job offers have come in. One is a temp job that pays about 20 an hour and the other is a full time that pays about 14 an hour!!!! Persitence pays off! WOOHOOOOOO!!!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    tech I know a few people in seattle area who would be happy to hep you out (jerry is even one of them smile.gif Lemme know if yer stuck with no job inna while and I'll what kind of contacts I can help dig up smile.gif

-R
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Right now Im helping myself....to a tasty slice of pie smile.gif

Sounds like you got the bases covered TS, time to start fending off those job offers with your +1 stick of pwnage.

HEHE
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once I finally have job I'm buying myself a dozen celebratory doghnuts.
    Also, why can't I find some decent italian roast around here? The coffee taste like burnt folgers in most places frown.gif

On a side note. Does anyone know of a $200-$300 used motorcycle for sale? I need something cheap to replace the van. Most of the jobs I'm looking at require a bit of a commute, that I can't do on foot.