Home Technical Talk

need help with vertex baking my character

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
following bobo the seals tut on vertex bake, built a lo poly model (2500 faces,will post later) split him into 2 parts head/body.did head ok,assigned multi sub object to head and followed tut.
Now i am attempting same with body,exactly the same procedure albeit with more ids in mutli sub object, but when i go to pick object using textporter,it comes up unfolding object,freezes then craches!
tried turning on/off various options in Assign Vertex color and textporter and when it does not crash i just get a bitmap that looks like a lightning strike.
please i need help
I am using max 7
like i say yesterday when i did the head i had no problems

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're using texporter? Why not just use render to texture if you have max 7?
  • Hooker with a Penis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooker with a Penis polycounter lvl 18
    Aaaaaand this is in the wrong forum.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I had this same problem!!!!! But I got it to work, and it's awesome because you can use the vertex paint interface. Here's a quick tutorial:

1. Make a box.
    2. Go into material editor and in the diffuse slot add a vertex color material, then apply it to the box.
    3. Add Vertex Paint modifier to the box.
    4. At the top of the paint interface window select vertex color display unshaded.
    5. Then paint some color on each vertex of the box.
    6. Now, at the bottom of the modify panel there is an assign vertex colors menu, this is how we'll get the painted colors on a texture map.
    7. The only option you need to check is mapping (for the painted vertex colors), then hit the assign button.
    8. Now open the render to texture dialog (press 0).
    9. Under Mapping Coordinates choose use auto unwrap.
    10. Under Output add a complete map.
    11. Under Baked Material choose output into source and render to files only.
    12. Hit Render and that's it!
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunglao polycounter lvl 18
    thanx for all your help,will post model 4 feedback when complete
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    moving to 2D/3D discussion. don't people know it's there?