Home General Discussion

Burning Man

PaK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PaK polycounter lvl 18
I got my ticket....

Burning man

If you're interested in going and live in the Bay Area my roommate and I will be leaving next friday around 3pm from SFO (in a jeep, we're picking someone up).

What is Burning man?

Burning man FAQ

This was a last minute dealie for me, but I think it'll be a great opportunity to shoot awesome photos and have some wierd fun.

-R

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burning man? You dirty hippy!!
    I have a friend thats going there too man.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, you going to do anything crazy there?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not terribly far from it, but I've never gone. I HATE the heat, so walking around in the desert isn't for me smile.gif
    The artwork and festivities are pretty interesting, though.

smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    fuck man I've always wanted to go, but I thought that shit was free no? Just sorta turn up looking like a whacked out cyber freak and party?
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Hey PAk,

We are having a community dinner on Thursday night, at the false profit camp.

If you can make it by, we are camped at 4:30 and amnesia, I beleive.

I have a red ocotpus dyed on my head, with red side burns.

cheers

dabu
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I missed ya Dabu,

Burning Man was fun. It was like mardi gras meets madd max ...but with hippies.

2 days was more than enough from me, I'm not a huge electronica fan, and I'm not so liberated (I kept all my clothes on). I'm so covered in dust you'd think i was white.

Boobies were nice though. All in all a good time, but too much dust, and the poeple I was rolling with were a lil' too highschool.

-R
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    all of you hippies are evil EVIL persons you must go to jail now and never get a job in the industry!

cuz that's what really counts.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Like woah man, negative vibes from you man. Here, take a drag from my bong.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    When using a bong, you take a "hit," not a "drag." Man, your face must be red after such an embarrassing stoner faux pas.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    i say we rol both oxy and shotgun in a giant jointb and take it to burning man 2006.

Just credit me for the art direction...cuyz i dont wanna goto the desert again with the stinky hippies.

-R
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Pak,

Sorry to hear that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be for you. Conversely, this was the best burn for me ever, my camp was well organized, and I met some amazing and gorgeous women. Space Cowboys came by and rocked our camp from midnight til past dawn with sick sick breaks on Tuesday night. The people, drugs, music, and art were the best Ive seen out there.

Next time lose the clothing, you might just find yourself opening up a little. And if you don't dig the people you camp with, there are about 29,000 new people to meet.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    I added some pics, but they aren't showing up for me. hmmm, more later.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Got em working!

I can post more if you guys want, but this forum isn't the best place...

Marc getting his hair done
    1.jpg
    My playa honey passed out (thats battle angel tattooed on both shoulders =HOT)
    2.jpg
    The morning of our party, still going strong at 8am
    3.jpg
    critical tits parade, boobies as far as the eye can see
    4.jpg
    one of the best mornings of my life
    5.jpg
    shes actually wearing a shirt this time
    6.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the church says hallucinogens are the devil you are all the devil hippies are devil free thinkers are devil.
    you must all go to jail for being evil people and never get a job in industry!!

its very important that you do not get a job in the industry.

lolz
    you see the symbol on that girl ^^ ? symbol of Aum, the third eye, etc.
    i actually found out coincident or not it is also my name (hebrew) from a certain angle.

in any case, no this is deffinately not the forum to post this kind of stuff.
    seriously, ppl are going to make z-brush models of your head and push voodoo pins in it and shit..

why not try this forum - http://www.forums.ayahuasca.com/phpbb/
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I.. I need more pictures...
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Burning man, hardly ever appealed to me...

Electronic music and interesting artwork? Yeah
    The Sun, Neo-Hippies, and dust everywhere? fuck no!

and it's not that I'm too conservative for it, because I'm not really that coservative, it's that I'm too Bitter and reclusive for it, haha.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    heh, it was pretty cool...but the novelty wore off. Then it was just camping in the desert.

Hey dabu, those are some very nice shots u have there. I didnt take my camera cuz i heard some horror stories before I left about things getting stolen, i kinda regret it now...

-R
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    Post more photos, I might need to go next year as long as work isn't in crunch.

I just wish it wasn't during the summer? I love the desert and the heat, don't get me wrong. But what's wrong with October?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Heh nice one Dan. Glad you got to chill finally. A little different from being in crunch mode eh? I'm still there, but I can almost taste the end. So close.....

Boobies in any numbers are good, but in those kinda numbers? Damn, better than any lame sunset ;-) And er 'playa honey'? What is this language you speaketh?! I'm getting so old!
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, playa is "beach" in Spanish, but I noticed on the official site that Pak posted they seem to use the word to refer to the desert. And I believe "honey" is a young'un colloquialism for female friend, usually implying some sort of intimate relationship. So my guess is that she is some floozie that he met at the event, or maybe a girlfriend that he brought along.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just figured 'playa honey', meant his 'Old lady' or 'she-lover'. Haha.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Ok so Im posting a few more, but if anyone is really curious, there are far better shots to be seen online, Ill see if I can dig up some better ones. Peoples galleries should be coming online in the next few weeks, and there was a ton of amazing art and people this year.

Pak, I understand your fear, but I was fully prepared to lose my camera. Its hard to take photos, as the act turns one from participant into spectator. And spectators suck. If you show up dressed in shorts and a t shirt, don't expect anyone to take much interest in you. If you are half naked in fur and body paint, people will be much more friendly.

Cheers Daz, I can't wait to come back and tell war stories. And "playa" is simply how we refer to the desert floor.

Keyser, this girl was no floozey. Floozey implies boring and/or easy, which this gal is definitely not.

As far as "dirty hippies", after a week in a hot dry climate without showering, everyone smells. But if you smell and have dreadlocks, well, I can see the confusion.

You just get used to it. And its not a big deal.

I happen to _love_ dancing to breaks, so the draw is large for me. There is other music to be had, but it is much more rare.

And Shotgun, I had a job in the industry, and its easy to forget how much life there is out there to be lived.

2003, it lit up at night, a chandelier that fell from the sky
    7.jpg
    2004, Nevy
    8.jpg
    2004, the temple, made from leftover parts from dinosaur kits
    9.jpg
    2005, the man
    10.jpg
    2005, like being hugged by the ball bin, only no urine smell, and a terrible pic of me
    11.jpg
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never known floozy to mean "boring." It usually means promiscuous and/or immoral. Anyway, I was joking tongue.gif and I'm pretty sure shotgun was also (if I remember correctly, he was lambasted for starting a thread about taking a hallucinogen and was told he should be blackballed from the industry, hence the sarcasm).

It looks/sounds like you had a great time and took some pretty good pictures. I'd like to check it out at least once in my life... it's within driving distance from here, so maybe if I can convince one of my friends, brothers, or father to go next year.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Keyser. Even if you can't convince anyone you know to go with you, don't let that stop you. The community of people that are into this event is large and spans the globe. I would recommend paying camp dues and going with a large group that has been before. You will be able to enjoy the benefits of a large camp, like large comfortable shade structures, couches, and good food. Bringing all your stuff in your car and just going isn't a bad idea either, but it will make for a different experience.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice, i wish i could go to this.

parade of breasts yay!! ill celebrate that.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like you had an awesome time man. The thing that amazes and befuddles me, is how in the WORLD do they get those giant things out into the desert? It's like they must have had 18 wheelers and trailers to get it all there. That's so awesome!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like an awful lot of hype for an overgrown rave...

I must be missing some important point... :|

?
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Its more than just dancing to electronic music and doing drugs, though I am in my post raver phase, so naturally that aspect appeals to me as well.

The original idea of Burning Man, which Im not really qualified to define, started as people going off into the middle of the desert and creating their own society for a week, where you can literally do anything you want, as long as you aren't hurting anyone else. There is no vending here, nothing can be bought or sold, so when people approach you, they are not trying to sell you anything. Its a little strange but after coming back from there, the everyday world in which we live in looks very different. And there are many things about the lifestyle at burning man that I wish were more prevalent in the world abroad.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldnt mind going to something like that... Maybe someday when I have actual money and time. Though I hope straight edges arent looked down upon?
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    And there are many things about the lifestyle at burning man that I wish were more prevalent in the world abroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wish people made of colorful balls would randomly hug me too...

Haha, no, just kidding. I see what your getting at though. To return to a more,dare I say simpler time? Where it's just about being peaceful and enjoying yourself. Too bad human nature can't accept things like that...
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The original idea of Burning Man, which Im not really qualified to define, started as people going off into the middle of the desert and creating their own society for a week

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe the origins weren't quite as lofty as 'creating their own society for a week'. the origins are a bit obscure now, and now doubt caught up in a certain amount of revisionism given the colossal popularity of the event these days... but it basically started out in 1986 as guys burning stuff on a beach. that's about it. then, on account of all the burning, the authorities said 'shoo,' and they moved out in the desert four years later, and the burning man that we're familiar with started in earnest.

certainly an interesting and culturally unique festival at this point. though the descriptions of how hard it is to really get it, man are rather humorous.

official pages:

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/1986_1996/firstyears.html

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburningman/
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh, that makes sense in it's own rights I suppose. Though in the end, and when it gets right down to it, while that works great for a week of partying and fun, in society, it just wouldn't. People need motivation to work. Money, bad as it is, is actually in theory a very, very good thing. It promotes a just and fair way of compensation and reward for work done, and provides a means for everyone to get what they need.

Its been corrupt beyond that of course, all things get corrupt, but it is still better than without IMO.

But yea, still sounds like it does have a decent and interesting theory behind it. Though from the pictures I've seen it has transformed more into a huge party full of hippies more than the actual week long building of a mini society? Although, I suppose pictures can't tell all?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    would just like to point out that the quote "money is the root of all evil" suffers from the fallacy of vicious abstraction: the full quote is the "love of money is the root of all evil." greed, not money itself, is the problem.

it really would be quite interesting to see the 'decommodified' society of burning man in action, though. especially from an artistic standpoint. you can't change human nature, but the subversion and redirection of some of those energies should make the festival interesting indeed smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Timothy 6:10
    For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It deffinatly would be interesting to see such a thing, however I believe that the society itself would have problems living much past a week. Artistically it's great if you like those kinds of weird art things, not my thing, but it can be cool. However, realistically... Who's doing the farming? Who's processing the food? Gathering materials for shelter, building shelter, finding sources of water and purifying it, advancing technology, etc...

The idea behind it is interesting in it's own way, however I've always been somewhat of a realist, and to me this whole hippie society of everyone does what they want is more of either a reason to just go out and party/let loose/get naked in the desert/be free of responsibility and maturity than any actual effort to test out a new "society".
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir, Burning Man isn't really an attempt to create a new society, Dabu was just describing the experience as a sort of microcosm of humanity and human society.

And by the way, capitalism (as successful it has been at stimulating progress) is not the be-all, end-all of human society. Believe it or not, it is possible to have a successful society that is based on a different economic system.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    You're right Gauss, it did start out as a far simpler idea. What you get out of the man really depends on what you take into it. Some people spend weeks before and after the event, setting up and taking down all the art, and cleaning up after 30,000 campers. Some people simply show up for the weekend looking to get trashed and ogle nakedness.

Its true, it really wouldn't be sustainable for long periods of time, but more because of the environment, than people not wanting to work. The entire event is a HUGE undertaking, and people go to all this effort and spend lots of money for the sake of simply being part of the experience, whether that be creating a large and impressive piece of art, performing, cooking and feeding people, or simply just being there. Granted if not everyone is participating and giving in various ways, the system will ultimately fail. But I like to hold the romantic notion that it could go on for quite a while, given adequate resources.

I think B Man has the power to change people, as cheesy as that sounds. I was changed after my first time.