Home General Discussion

Converting Montana coal to oil?

KeyserSoze
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but I'm posting it anyway because I find it interesting. I was almost going to post it in the "Oilstorm" thread, but I figured maybe it deserves it's own thread.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050825/pl_nm/energy_montana_dc

Basically (for those who don't want to read the whole article) he says he can convert Montana's massive coal reserves into gasoline (petrol for you limeys), diesel and jet fuel using a technique developed by the Germans in 1923 and used by the Nazis during Dubya Dubya Two. The method wasn't economically viable in the past when oil was below $30, but with a barrel of crude costing nearly $70 today, there's a huge benefit in using this technique. He says he can supply the entire US for the next 40 years without causing any environmental damage at about a dollar per gallon (I believe the $1 a gallon would be the consumer price). "We can do it cheaper than importing oil from the sheiks, dictators, rats and crooks that we're bringing it from right now."

I think this sounds like a very good idea.

This governor is one of the few politicians for whom I actually have some respect. I heard him speak on a talk-radio show awhile back (he didn't mention anything about converting coal to oil then), and he just seems like a cool, well-traveled and intelligent guy. He's a real cowboy who used to make a living as a cattle rancher (unlike a certain politician who owns a fake ranch and likes to pretend to be a hick). He's a liberal democrat who was elected (and very popular) in an overwhelmingly red state, so that should tell you that he's doing something right.

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    that sounds really cool. if this does get the go ahead then it might revive some of the depressed/deserted coal towns out here in the Appalachians. hell, it may even revive the economy in the entire region, which in turn would boost the county's economy and might help to pull us up a bit more toward the green...

but it is just a temporary solution to a major issue. we still need an alternative to oil/coal. ;\

and if this does take off i can see a future president in the making wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like sense to me. Seems Australia was also looking into using this method for making gas a few years ago, too.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone see the irony?

j/k aside, it is a good idea, but only if the time is used to get alternatives ready, otherwise it will simply move the problem 40 years into the future.

But to be honest I really don't see the problem the americans have with the oil prices. You cut easily cut back the use down to european levels, with is a massive amount (and we europeans still waste tons of it), and the end customer price is still laughable in the US.
    Here in Germany the gas price just hit 1.43€ for a liter (which is approximatly $1.80 for a 1/4 gallon if I remember correctly).
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    JKMakowka: Remember that America is a MUCH bigger place than any European country... they need to use more petrol just as a byproduct of living in a place where they naturally need to cover more distance to reach things.

However that does not excuse the ridiculous abundance of motor vehicles with terrible fuel consumption. It's a kind of cause and effect thing - fuel prices are lower, so people don't see why they need to worry about good MPG so much. I think on average, European vehicles get a better MPG than American vehicles. It'd be interesting to see some sort of statistics on that, maybe I'll have a look later.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    This is a fabulous idea. I think it will be interesting to see what kind of blockades Gov. Schweitzer runs into as the Saudis learn of it and relay their displeasure back to their toadies in Washington.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    Ya know, we didn't run out of oil in the US. We did not run out of oil in Texas. The Texas oil industry ran into very cheap imported oil and then basically collapsed.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Dukie: Nobody said you ran out of oil smile.gif
    This is merely a different method.
    Anyway, isn't the world set to run out of oil in less than a few hundred years anyway?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Less than a hundred as I understand it and that was predicted before china took off.
    I'd like, no love this country to become energy independent again.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Some estimates say only 40 years of oil are left, and it's all downhill. This new method states it will help us for the next 40 years. But I don't believe methods of lowering gas prices will solve the big picture. If prices are lowered, the general population will simply take advantage of it all over again. We'll be having gas parties (that's a joke..haha). Along with lowering prices, methods must be put in place to use these cheaper resources more effectively and intelligently, and gradually replace them with new innovative sources, and become energy independent from the Middle East. Most will say it can't be done, but I think it can. There are many more crises to prevent, but we'll need leaders to act now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've noticed people in my area getting more gas-conscious, people are selling or trading in their gas guzzlers for smaller more efficiant cars. The funny thing is, about 80% of the population here is over 60, they're trading their Crown Victorias for Scions and other small cars.

I'm thinking of getting a bike to ride to work but I need to find a safe route to ride, the roads aren't bike friendly here.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I guess this governor guy hasn't heard that burning oil makes pollution, and pollution screws up the climate, which then creates Category 5 hurricanes that permanently damage ancient and historic coastal cities. Oh well.

I think there are probably reasons that coal liquefaction didn't take off as a technology right after the Germans developed it. It's probably a lot like the idea that oil shale can be converted into usable petroleum, an idea that gets reinvested in every 20 years or so, but always ends in everyone involved going bust. Good luck, Montana!

/jzero
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The reason is that it's not financially viable. The Nazis had no major oil wells under their control so they had to resort to using the vast coal reserves of the Ruhr area in such inefficient fashion. The Ruhr area's mines are mostly abandoned today, BTW.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umm, I think we can best the Nazis...
    Anyway I believe the answer is right overhead, we are grossly under utilizing the energy we receive from the sun.
    All we need to do is collect it. The big advance needed is batteries. Batteries suck right now but then they haven’t needed to be very good before now. If we had efficient quick-charging high-powered batteries there isn’t anything we couldn't power with them.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    If we had efficient quick-charging high-powered batteries there isn’t anything we couldn't power with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you power airliners with them? tongue.gif

[edit] I forgot to mention that I think the concerns that this would only serve to reinforce our dependency on oil are valid, but I don't think the answer is to allow our economy to fall to shambles in a hope that we'll be forced into finding alternatives. I don't believe throwing a kid in a lake and telling him to "swim or drown" is the best way to teach him to swim.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    if only we had cold fusion. wink.gif Power our houses for a month on a gallon of water.

oh well, its a pipe dream! ;D
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The big advance needed is batteries.

That's what fuel cells are for.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    What nobody has brought up is the fact that most all plastics are made from types of oil. Lubricants come from oil. Not just gasoline/petrolium.
    This is a tough problem.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Could you power airliners with them?

[/ QUOTE ] Not the current engines but yes you could.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Some estimates say only 40 years of oil are left, and it's all downhill. This new method states it will help us for the next 40 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this all the time, and I really want to know where this actual data is coming from? I'm not trying to insult you, but I'm genuinely curious.

The world has plenty of oil according to this guy:
    http://www.radford.edu/~wkovarik/oil/3unconventional.html
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on who you believe. Everybody has his own theory and it's wise to always be prepared for the worst case scenario.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What nobody has brought up is the fact that most all plastics are made from types of oil. Lubricants come from oil. Not just gasoline/petrolium.
    This is a tough problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. In fact, I think a majority of oil consumption goes to things other than fuels. Like you already mentioned: plastics, lubricants... and then there are things like synthetic materials for clothes, solvents, insecticides, car tires, and so on and so on.

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Could you power airliners with them?

[/ QUOTE ] Not the current engines but yes you could.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure about that. I just can't imagine an electric motor being able to produce the immense about of thrust that is generated by a gas-turbine engine. If it were possible it would have to be a prop plane, and I imagine the amount of batteries (even if we developed super-efficient batteries) would need to be quiet excessive in order to give the aircraft an inter-continental range.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe a hybrid jet...
    The most thrust a plane needs is during takeoff where the power of an electric motor still can't touch the power of a combustion engine (although they are getting close). Maybe a set of assist jets could help get it up to altitude, then the rest of the trip is mostly maintaining and gliding..

Batteries still don't come close to storing the potential energy that petroleum does though. They would have to get several orders of magnitude more efficient to be light enough.

edit: well maybe 'an' order of magnitude. Electrics get about an 80-mile range max and gasoline/diesel get about 300
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    it's true, technology has mostly left battery development behind. Comparing the massive leaps and bounds we have made in processors and memory, charging batteries and storing energy is about twice as good as when electricity was first discovered.

Nuclear power in the home! that's the 60's vision we need! laugh.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    As a pilot myself I can tell you fairly confidently that electric motors cannot power jet engines Same reason you can't make a steam desktop computer, it doesnt work like that. And Gliding?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know you can make plastic out of peanuts and I guess corn should work as well (Homeophathic?). Didn't say a jet engine. It'd have to be some sort of prop but really you have no choice but to slow down a bit once the fuel is gone. As for take off? How about an array of advanced transformers? That'd give you a nice power boost. Jets are very fast yes, but props can generate more than enough power to get a modern jumbo jet fuesalage off the ground.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Didn't say a jet engine. It'd have to be some sort of prop but really you have no choice but to slow down a bit once the fuel is gone. As for take off? How about an array of advanced transformers? That'd give you a nice power boost. Jets are very fast yes, but props can generate more than enough power to get a modern jumbo jet fuesalage off the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, not really, no.
    Shut up while you are still not a compete tool. laugh.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Part of the reason I.C. engines are so potent is in part because we have been developing them for so long.
    It is an old technology, with which we have abundant experience.

While electric motors & batteries of one sort or another have been around for ages, they really havent been taken seriously for transportation because it hasn't been necessary. We had fossil fuel powered vehicles.

The simple fact is there are other alternative sources of energy, methods of propulsion & ways to get various "oils".
    Vegetable matter produces oils that can be processed to create a viable substitute for the previous black crudes.

We will get by. We will adapt. As always, we'll discover something new, revolutionary & better in the process.
    I think. smile.gif
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fuck you.
    C-130
    http://www-astro.lbl.gov/~jodi/johnbear/sp/flights.html

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever been in a C-130 while in flight. Do you understand that the C-130 is a 50 year old aircraft, or that it is designed for short take off and landing, etc, etc, etc.
    You lose, good day sir.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fuck you.
    C-130
    http://www-astro.lbl.gov/~jodi/johnbear/sp/flights.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, powering a prop with an electric motor isn't really the problem, getting power to those motors is the problem. For the most efficient electric cars, it takes about 600 lbs of batteries to replace the power and range of 1 gallon of gasoline (which weighs about 6 lbs). Now, keep in mind that the fuel capacity of a normal C130 is somewhere between 20 and 30 tons, which would require 3,000 tons of batteries to achieve the same power with electric motors. Yeah, good luck getting that thing off the ground, it would have the weight/lift ratio of a damned elephant (Dumbo excluded laugh.gif).
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll also point out those are inefficent and or suboptimal props and wings. A fifty year old c130 can fly with unducted props? Then batteries are the problem. Better batteries are the solution as I said in a post further up.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    actually the Herc is top of the line when it comes to its engines, Ducked fans? Do you even understand what you've read in popular science (for kids)?

Seriously, Weiser_Cain, stop trying to justify electric motor powered prop passenger planes, it's like creationalism and free enegry, no matter how much you huff and puff, slam your fists and incorrectly cite references it's never going to fly.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if we could improve the efficiency of batteries 10-fold (I'm not even sure if that's theoretically possible), it would still be way too much weight... unless the only cargo you plan on carrying is batteries, which kind of defeats the purpose.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    What would be interesting is some way to create combustion with hydrogen, I think NASA is experimenting with it. Not like hydrogen fuel cells, which create electricity, but actually burning the hydrogen.
    Even that, jet fuel is extremely cheap, you could piss into the fuel tank and it wouldn't have much adverse effect. :P
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/prop06apr99_2.htm

Apparently the V2 was fueled with alcohol made from potatoes (vodka?). No oil required.
  • Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    What happened to the whole ethyl alcohol thing from corn deal? That seems like a great alternative because:

*Clean burning
    *Renewable by the sun basically
    *I always hear farmers are going out of business
    *Developer farm land is in better shape than oil land
    *The US has more farm land than oil
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've been wondering the same. I read an article about the corn produced gasonline back when we were paying $1.80 (you know, a couple months ago).

It always amazes me how we hear about "new techiniques/techonolgies" yet we rarely see them become anything. Makes me wonder if special interest groups are able to stop them somehow.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Just imagine the recharge time on all those batteries.

"It always amazes me how we hear about "new techiniques/techonolgies" yet we rarely see them become anything. Makes me wonder if special interest groups are able to stop them somehow."

What is truly amazing is that the internal combustion engine and the battery are 19th century tech!

Way back I read an article about using flywheels for storage...
  • Hedhunta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hedhunta polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've been wondering the same. I read an article about the corn produced gasonline back when we were paying $1.80 (you know, a couple months ago).

It always amazes me how we hear about "new techiniques/techonolgies" yet we rarely see them become anything. Makes me wonder if special interest groups are able to stop them somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is because the "big oil" companies that are raking a profit from this whole thing have enough money to pay off the inventors of said technologies to the point where they are set for life even if gas were to run out.. as long as there IS oil, this will remain true. too many people have too much money invested to allow something such as "cheap energy" to exist until its tottally and completely too late.

the same thing goes for prescription drugs, the drug companies arent researching ways to curepeople, only to make their symptoms go away to the point where if they go off the drugs they are immediately sick again. thats why cancer and aids will never be cured until some government steps in and does it themselves instead of leaving it up to corporate peoples whose only interest is, you guessed it.. making money, not making people healthy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the Shizuma Drive is the answer!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    J
    What is truly amazing is that the internal combustion engine and the battery are 19th century tech!

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the battery was first made back thousands of years ago. they found a clay jar with a copper wrapped rod that if filled with grape juice it would produce an electric charge.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    J

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the battery was first made back thousands of years ago. they found a clay jar with a copper wrapped rod that if filled with grape juice it would produce an electric charge.

[/ QUOTE ]

You saw that on mythbusters, didnt you? wink.gif
    Anyway, no one is sure, not to mention it had the wrong metals for a battery.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    from Wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]

There is some evidence—in the form of the Baghdad Batteries from sometime between 250 BCE and 640 CE (while Baghdad was under Parthian and Sassanian dynasties of ancient Persia) of galvanic cells having been used in ancient times. Such ancient knowledge in the history of electricity bears no known continuous relationship to the development of modern batteries. The conjecture that these devices had an electrical function, while plausible, remains unproven, as with devices discovered in Egyptian digs that are alleged to be batteries as well.

In 1748, Benjamin Franklin coined the term battery to describe the simple capacitor he experimented with, which was an array of charged glass plates. He adapted the word from its earlier sense meaning a beating, which is what an electric shock from the apparatus felt like. In those days, the entertaining effect of an electric shock was one of the few uses of the technology. Other experimenters made batteries from a number of Leyden jars connected in parallel. The definition was later widened to include an array of electrochemical cells or capacitors. The Voltaic pile was a chemical battery developed by the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta in 1800. Volta researched the effects which different metals produced when exposed to salt water. In 1801, Volta demonstrated the Voltaic cell to Napoleon Bonaparte (who later ennobled him for his discoveries). The discoverer of biological electricity Luigi Galvani, researched the same effect with two pieces of the same metal exposed to salt water.

The scientific community at this time called this battery a pile, accumulator, because it held charge, or artificial electrical organ. Some early battery researchers called the device a gravity cell because gravity kept the two sulfates separated. The name crowfoot cell was also commonly used because of the shape of the zinc electrode used in the batteries.

In 1800, William Nicholson and Anthony Carlisle used a battery to decompose water into hydrogen and oxygen. Sir Humphry Davy researched this chemical effect at the same time. Davy researched the decomposition of substances (called electrolysis). In 1813, he constructed a 2,000-plate paired battery in the basement of Britain's Royal Society, covering 889 ft² (83 m²). Through this experiment, Davy deduced that electrolysis was the action in the voltaic pile that produced electricity. In 1820, the British researcher John Frederic Daniell improved the voltaic cell. The Daniell cell consisted of copper and zinc plates and copper and zinc sulfates. It was used to operate telegraphs and doorbells. Between 1832 and 1834, Michael Faraday conducted experiments with a ferrite ring, a galvanometer, and a connected battery. When the battery was connected or disconnected, the galvanometer deflected. Faraday also developed the principle of ionic mobility in chemical reactions of batteries. In 1839, William Robert Grove developed the first fuel cell, which produced electrical energy by combining hydrogen and oxygen. Grove developed another form the electric cell using zinc and platinum electrodes. These electrodes were exposed to two acids separated by a diaphragm.

In the 1860s, Georges Leclanché of France developed a carbon-zinc battery. It was a wet cell, with electrodes plunged into a body of electrolyte fluid. It was rugged, manufactured easily, and had a decent shelf life. An improved version called a dry cell was later made by sealing the cell and changing the fluid electrolyte to a wet paste. The Leclanché cell is a type of primary (non-rechargeable) battery. In the 1860s, Raymond Gaston Plant invented the lead-acid battery. He immersed two thin solid lead plates separated by rubber sheets in a dilute sulfuric acid solution to make a secondary (rechargeable) battery. The original invention had a short shelf life, though. Around 1881, Émile Alphonse Faure, with his colleagues, developed batteries using a mixture of lead oxides for the positive plate electrolyte. These had faster reactions and higher efficiency. In 1878, the air cell battery was developed. In 1897, Nikola Tesla researched a lightweight carbide cell and a oxygen-hydrogen storage cell. In 1898 Nathan Stubblefield received approval for a battery patent (US600457): this electrolytic coil patent is referred to as an "earth battery".

In 1900, Thomas Edison developed the nickel storage battery. In 1905, Edison developed the nickel-iron battery. Like all electrochemical cells, Edison's produced a current of electrons that flowed only in one direction, known as direct current. In World War II, Samuel Ruben and Philip Rogers Mallory developed the mercury cell. In the 1950s, Russell S. Ohl developed a wafer of silicon that produced free electrons. In the 1950s, Ruben improved the alkaline manganese battery. In 1954, Gerald L. Pearson, Daryl M. Chapin, and Calvin S. Fuller produced an array of several such wafers, making the first solar battery or solar cell. In 1956, Francis Thomas Bacon developed the hydrogen-oxygen fuel cell. In 1959, Lewis Urry developed the small alkaline battery at the Eveready Battery Company laboratory in Parma, Ohio. In the 1960s, German researchers invented a gel-type electrolyte lead-acid battery. Duracell was formed in 1964.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

You saw that on mythbusters, didnt you? wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i saw it on Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious Universe or one of those shows over 10 years ago tongue.gif