Home General Discussion

FX Networks presents: OILSTORM

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
Holy Hell, go to this site and watch the promo, then read the synopsis. You will not believe your eyes.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/oilstorm/main.html

Replies

• War_Destroyer
    Offline / Send Message
    War_Destroyer polycounter lvl 18
    2 words...Fucking Eerie!!!
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Wow .... man that is bizarrooooo
  • Sean McBride
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hehehe i saw that preview on tv a month or so back. Kinda funny how the pcies of gas has gone up about 30 cents in a few days...

3.10 where I live now.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha and thats why people need to stop living so far from work. Its also why we need to get a better mass trasportation system. All things that will never happen as people are stupid, and presidents are afraid to do big works. Insted we fight wars because we need to let off some steam because our gas prices are so high and sense we have to drive 50 miles each day that makes us mad. And they have oil and thats just not fair!

Just think how much more relaxed you would be if you could walk to work, or jog to work each day. And when you traveled you didnt have to wait in an airport for 5 hrs just so you can sit on a plane for another 5. Just imagin if you didnt need a car, how nice would that be.

I realised that it takes about 4hrs to drive to seattle and it takes about 5 hrs to fly to seattle from spokane. 5 because 3hrs before the flight as they always delay them, 1hr in flight, and another hr in seattle waiting for your shit. The best part is they both cost the same price to do with gas prices now days. hmmm
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Solution: Better railways. Two cities with airports should have train stations as well and trains are somewhat more efficient than cars or planes. Considering the max road speed limit in the US is 75MPH and trains can go much faster the transit times should be shorter. Also, trains can be run on electric power without problems so you could use nuclear, solar, wind or water energy when you don't want to use oil. It doesn't produce any gasses though the nuclear stuff will result in radioactive waste.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    ... from the guy who lives in a country where the highways have unlimited speed wink.gif
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It isn't that easy. Not everyone can afford to live near work.
    Northern California is a good example.

The Bay Area is where all the work is. And because of this cost of living has gone up considerable throughout the years. Half the people who live in the bay area are only there because they've lived there before the huge tech boom. The other half are just extremely wealthy.
    And for the people who work in the Bay Area, but can't afford to live there... their only solution is to move further away to find cheaper housing.
    A few years back, the valley here in northern California was the prime target for those people. A LOT of people moved here to find affordable housing at the expense of having to commute an hour (or more) to work.
    I'd say a good 50%? Maybe even more of the people who work in the Bay Area live in the Valley and make that hourly commute in the morning. It's the only way they can afford to live and keep their jobs. Mass transit is available that extends outward from the valley... but they only go to certain locations. Often times the train stations aren't close enough to where people work. Shuttle services are available, but because it costs money, not every company can afford them.

Mass transportation isn't easy to implement now, either. I don't think anyone really foresaw in the past just how large a growth boom northern california would have. We have enough trouble as it is to widen freeways to help aleviate traffic. Adding rail roads for trains is almost next to impossible. Not only do you have to make room in the already crowded cities/towns... but you'd also have to carve through the mountains that surround the valley.

And, to be honest, people really shouldn't complain about gas prices. $3.00/gallon is nothing compared to what the Brits have to pay.

As for flying... I've never had a problem. When I flew down to southern California (a 5 - 6 hour drive) the flight only took 45 minutes. Plus maybe an hour of waiting inline. Add an hour drive to the airport from my house... that's only about 3 hours of travel as opposed to 5 or 6.
    On the way back was even quicker for me. 5 minute drive from the Hotel to the airport, then a 15 minute wait plus another 45 minute flight.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Wouldn't it make more sense to scatter the workplaces a bit instead of having them all in one location and not enough room for everyone to be close to work?

Mass transit is available that extends outward from the valley... but they only go to certain locations.

Then add more locations. It's not impossible. Busses for small scale, trains for large scale movements.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    because you know, like everyone can find a job near their home or find a new home near their place of employment. and places that don't have city water or sewage lines can support mass transportation systems. tongue.gif
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    THANK YOU for posting this. I've been trying to remember the name of this movie this whole week. I watched this when it initially aired and I felt it was pretty rediculus, but much of it has come true so far.

It starts off saying how the hurricane will hit Louisiana, and take out the refinerys. They say in the movie that it'll take 6 months to repair the ports and paths to the refinery. The president then delays on releasing the oil reserves and by the time it's released, the economy is already too far gone, so the oil reserve doesn't ease the prices.

This is the point we're at right now.....but it's been pretty accurate at this point.

Now for the more rediculus. The movie turns from believable to stupid. The perfect conditions all fall into place in the movie. Saudi Arabia decides to help us which causes militants to get pissed and hold a mall in saudi arabia hostage. This causes a civil war in their country because America goes in to help. Then we start working out a deal with Russia for some oil relief, which leads to them sending us shipment of oil. But half way here, the tanker turns around because China outbids us on that oil.

The second half got really stupid because the timelines are ignored. By the time we work out a deal with Russia, enough time has passed that we should have fixed the ports in Louisiana. But that wouldn't work with their plot wink.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Our economy isn't going to suffer that bad from this. It's only going to have short term impact (albeit hard). And Saudi Arabia is already increasing oil production by 500,000 barrels per day. No mall has been held hostage yet, right? smile.gif

Quite an interesting movie though. Very similar to real events. Spooky.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I'm saying is rediculus. The hostage part is where the movie got hard to watch.

What would you consider not suffering bad? Our economy's been in the crapper for about 3 or 4 years now. It was actually just starting to level off before this happened. Now people are having to pay almost double for gas than they had to just earlier in the year.

I'm glad I bought my Jetta when gas prices first spiked a few years ago. Unfortunately, I'm in an area that basically requires a long commute to get to work (about 30 miles one way for me).
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Over a length of time, people forget how bad the current situation is. Numbers are given to ease the pain, but those numbers are usually pocket lint compared to what they should be.

Strange. Just as strange as the TV series pilot that predicted 9/11.
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just as strange as the TV series pilot that predicted 9/11.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe I know what you're referring to?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The Xfiles spin off?
  • okkun
  • PaK
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I live in the bay area, and I bike to work everyday. my commute is 12-15 mins each way. I have a geat place to live for 700$ a month which I share with 3 other people.

If you are motivated to find a solution you can live and work anywhere with compromises.

-R
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends on what those comprimises are for people. In my case, I have a family to worry about. If I were to move closer to my job, I would place myself into a higher crime rate city (much higher) and poor schools for my kids.
    I'm also currently in school, so to leave this state, I would lose out on credits that I've acquired here. Not to mention finding a new job in a new city.

It's easy to claim people can find a solution when you're in a city with a better situation.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

[/ QUOTE ]

i saw that a long time ago

looks like someone who will do anything to sell a bunch of books
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    id love to be able to bike to work.. too bad it's 30 miles away (almost exactly) and id have traverse some pretty steep hills both ways, one is at least a mile and a half at about 35 - 40 degree incline :\

fortunately my little Geo Metro LSI gets about 40 miles to the gallon when i drive smart and dont blaze up those hills like all these asses in there extended cab dualie pickups. i pay about $10 - $25 in gas a week. but this weekend ill be filling it up from nearly empty to drive to my parents and back. so ill probably have to fill up twice this week.

still most people in this area, hell in the state, commute at least 20-120 miles a day to get to work. simply put, unless McD's is your idea of a career you HAVE to commute somewhere. and most of the time the quality jobs just arent there to justify moving to a larger place. the jobs just arent there to balance out the increase in rent/house payments in the larger areas.

even if mass transit were to be implemented here, it would take 25 years or more and thousands of workers just to install the lines through these mountains. and that would just be one rail between the two major cities around here (from Lexington, KY to Huntington, WV) . this isnt SimCity where you can lay rails from the begining on perfectly flat land. this is rural hick-ass Appalachia Kentucky.
  • jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.ems.org/nws/2005/09/01/press_release_do

Here's something. Like NBC renewing Star Trek, Toyota has agreed that all the people testing their all-electric RAV4s can keep them. Toyota wanted them back because they though they had failed, but the drivers insisted on keeping them. Toyota evidently thought that the cars were a failure because they didn't go more than 100 miles on one charge. I could use a RAV4 like that. Companies can be so damn stupid.

/jzero