Home General Discussion

(Recent) trends in multiplayer FPS

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
Just a thought that occured to me lately:

Why is it that there are recently only multiplayer FPS that basicly require to have at least 10 or 12 people playing (better to have 32 frown.gif )?
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy those heavy team-play FPS like Enemy Territory or Battlefield(2), but they are impossible to play on private lan parties (I don't have 11 friends who enjoy hardcore 24h fragfests laugh.gif ), and also tent to be quite anonymous, e.g. you seldomly have these funny personal vandettas with certain players etc. like it was back in the days of Duke3D for example.

Of course there are the old school Deathmatch FPS like Quake1,2,3 & Half-life1 (and recent Open-source games, like nexuiz etc), and I guess low numbers of players better fit to these kind of games. But pure DM gets boring after all these years frown.gif

There are also these few COOP games, but they are rare and often only let you replay the single-player you finished already weeks ago. And competition between players is also more interesting, and offers way more replay value.

But I think a non DM/COOP FPS game that is fun with 2-3(or max 5-6) players shouldn't be that hard to do, right? frown.gif

/rant end

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I miss innovative weapon sets, i.e. take any build engine game for example, except anything before 1996 and anything during/after 1998.

Yeah, what happened to the good ol days setting up sticky bombs, tripmines, and using scrolling inventory systems?
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    None of the answers on that poll fit my answer.. But I think only 2-3 people max 5-6 would be feckin retarded, The more people for me the more fun it is.. 2-3 Is to boring, Even if it is a small map and the respawn time is low, its just not fun. Battlefield 2 actually makes you feel like your in the War. When your playing with 64 people its teh awesome, But imagine battlefield 2 with smaller maps and only 2-3 people.. wtf :O? Thats just not right smile.gif. Imagine a war with only 2-3 people laugh.gif.

Everyone likes something different, I just like more people.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    good call JK. I kinda sorta have a HL2 mod in dev with the plan of taking in back to the 1on1 dm gameplay, with tight maps and minimal 'stuff'. Of course, I still don't know anything about hl2 editing. frown.gif
    The huge games are fun, but hey we were doing 100 player games in Quake1. Warhead is too young to know old school DM.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Remember the old 2 on 2 Rocket Arena matches? that was CLASS!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18

What ever happened to Team Fortress classic 2? i love the original
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I miss innovative weapon sets, i.e. take any build engine game for example, except anything before 1996 and anything during/after 1998.

Yeah, what happened to the good ol days setting up sticky bombs, tripmines, and using scrolling inventory systems?

[/ QUOTE ]

um.. have you played HL2DM at all?
    quick scroll for weapons, and recently the added laser trip mines, which makes my method of killin all the more fun (i tend to get someone to chase me down and have them walk over nades or trip mines i've layed down).
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    "you seldomly have these funny personal vandettas with certain players etc. like it was back in the days of Duke3D for example. "

haha nonsense when i played joint ops there'd always be someone on the other team i had a vendetta against
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely like the teamwork involved in games like BF2, makes playing with lots of players more involved because you come to depend on them, and them on you, to reach the goal... of course the game is really one big CTF / Onslaught, so comparing it to classic DM's isnt really fair.

Funny enough, tho, I actually find the Onslaught game type to be a more fun DM than regular because the added vehicles balance it out more, as I've found my kill ratio goes way up when I'm in a vehicle (but only in UT, in BF2 i still kick ass on foot). Part of the problem with 'innovative' weapons is they tend to slow gameplay down, as 'innovative' tends to lend itself to "some kind of non-standard projectile that takes a while to load, lock on, or fire".
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

um.. have you played HL2DM at all?
    quick scroll for weapons, and recently the added laser trip mines, which makes my method of killin all the more fun (i tend to get someone to chase me down and have them walk over nades or trip mines i've layed down).

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but too bad everyone whores the stupid gravity gun

Oh and by inventory system I did not mean weapon selection. Since when was the last time you've had a game with a holograms and jetpacks in selectable inventory systems?
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dunno about selectable inventory items, but I know i've played a few server-based modifications for UT2k4 where they added on special powerups and whatnot for the weapons that could play along that line.

as far as the grav-gun, cheap, i only ever use it when i've used up all my other ammo, or want to grab ammo out of reach... i gave up using it as a weapon (occassionally as defense for nade grabs) as i couldnt hit jack with it.
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
    I just recently added a few more gamemodes to Nexuiz in the 1.2 release, its no longer just pure DM. The CTF in the new release is designed for around 5 or so players, I don't think Nexuiz would work well with 20-30 players like battlefield2. Teamfortress style Nexuiz is also in the works by a few other developers, but I guess thats not thing your talking about.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Might want to look into console games. Those rarely support more than four players. Or Splinter Cell, it has a pretty innovative 2-vs-2 mode.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    CodeRED:Alien Arena has a variety of maps that are suited for 2-5 players, 5-10, 10 or more. There are CTF maps that also run the gammut of player numbers.

We also have All Out Assault, with yes, vehicles you can get into. There are currently two All Out Assault maps, one is smaller, suited for 2-10 players, the other large, and suited for more.

We haven't announced it yet, but we are working on a new version of the game called Alien Arena 2006, and are adding in yet another game mode, and a number of other things that I'd rather not divulge just yet.

We've also done some more code optimization, and plan to do quite a bit more. The game already plays very fast on most any computer, even with bloom and reflective water on. It's going to be even faster. Even with some new nextgen effects.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    tribes 2! (as far as inventory goes anyways, it gave you a ton of stuff to play with.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KDR: Yeah I tried that, but the horrible controls, and the ofter over simplified gameplay made me quickly remember why I hate console FPS.

@FoeHammer: Interesting that you mention that game, since it is the exact opposite of what I am talking about. I think it was one of the first games that really required to have at least 10 players. But you are kind of right about the inventory stuff, even though it consisted mostly out of buildable turrets and all sorts of standard weapons.

@Vermeulen & Irritant: I enjoy both of your games (thanks a lot for the great work), but somehow they fit more into the realm of standart DM (or CTF) which is fun with few players, but also as much fun with more players.

I think Cheapy got what I was trying to get at. Laser tripmines, holograms, shrinkweapons etc are fun as long as you are only playing with few players, since you can place for example the mines at a certain location to exspecially hit a certain player. If you get more players, you are basicly just spamming mines so that anyone gets hit. Which isn't fun, and doesn't give you the satisfation of tricking someone to run in your laser-tripmine laugh.gif

Of course it doesn't have to be only these fun gadets like it was done in Duke3d.
    I could imagine that a realistic sniper game would be fun with 2 (or a few more people), too. Kinda like in the movie "Enemy at the gates".
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    medal of honour: allied assault has some pretty good sniping multiplayer with 6 or so people
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    JKMakowka: if you really want you could just download a duke3d Port and start playing it again.

http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=jfduke3d - Port
    http://forums.dukesterx.net/portal.php - online client.

PM me and I can "help" you locate a legit duke3d.grp file you need to play.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    People are so addicted to these high-player games that they need things like this

http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/7293/
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    JKMakowka: if you really want you could just download a duke3d Port and start playing it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't the point. It is not about reviving the memories, or having that 'old school' gameplay.

What I want is a modern FPS that is fun to play with few player.

But thanks for the links anyways wink.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I really miss running around with friend and lan parties and taking down enemies together. smile.gif I really wish fps games these days would spend just a little time focusing on the cooperative aspect. frown.gif