Home General Discussion

Calling all guitarists

Keg
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Keg polycounter lvl 18
Curious to see who out there in polycount land is also a guitarist. Curious as what guitars you play and amps plus effects pedals.

For me I play a simple black american california fat strat (no pics at the moment) basically your stock fender strat, but with a humbucker pickup in the bridge. My amp is a pathetic rocktek 10 watt peice of donkey dung. And only effects pedal I have is a cry baby wah pedal.

On a side note, what guitar tab sites do you use is any at all? right now it's a mix of guitar pro 4 with a nice 22,000 list of tabs and http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Copied and pasted from a recent similar thread on CA.

My main axe is my avatar icon here... Ibanez RG448 in natural ash finish, they don't make 'em like that anymore... it's damn fun to play and sounds great.

Also have a black Epiphone Flying V (for alternate tunings - Ibanez is double-locked), but I want to sell that and get something slightly more versatile.

I recently bought an old, partly broken Epiphone Les Paul for next to nothing, got some new EMG 81 + 85 pickups, new chrome hardware, and gave it a big overhaul... then I gave it to my brother for his birthday, heh.

Also have the body of an old Marlin which is slowly getting re-formed and I hope to actually build it up into a working guitar eventually... just don't have time at the moment.

For recording, I run my Boss GT3 through the line-in of the sound card, works very well. The overdrive/distortion effects are too digital sounding most of the time though... takes a lot of tweaking to come up with something good.

Main amp is a 65w Laney TF200 combo... I don't gig or anything, so I don't need anything bigger at the moment...

I'd love to own one of the Musicman John Petrucci signature 7-strings... they're awesome. A Parker Fly would be fun too... they're really nice to play. However I've been thinking of buying a Yamaha APX5 electro-acoustic, I like the sound.

My playing is somewhere between Santana-random (although with better conclusions) and Paul Gilbert shred (although not quite as fast ) smile.gif

My main resource for tabs is http://www.powertabs.net/ .
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i have the same guitar as you

Aug2801.jpg
    poor quality picture, deal

my amp is a small behringer behind the guitar i am not sure of the model, and i dont have an effects pedal

http://www.guitartabs.cc/
    http://www.azchords.com/
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i have an Epiphone SG Special (currently tuned down half a step), a 10watt Mashall amp, and a DOD Death Metal Distortion pedal.

for tabbing i use Guitar Pro 4 demo and get tabs from mysongbook.com. i used power tab briefly but didn't like it as much as GuitarPro 4.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I have a cheap satin black fender strat run through a zoom 606 guitar pedal to a randall rg25rm amp, which is apparently 25 watts.
    I plan to build a bass on that les paul(I think) guitar body with the sharp horns with a ebony neck and I'll carve the head myself.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weiser: Uhh... building a bass out of a les paul body? I hope you're changing the neck... the scale length of a guitar and a bass are completely different...
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I was just using the body, I'll use a bass neck (was thinking of going fretless) and hardware, I only worry about attaching it to the body since the body would be mostly if not entirely finished and I worry a little about diffrences between bass and guitar neck couplings, though mostly about diffrences between companies. Should be no problem.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Here are my guitars:
    guitars.jpg
    Washburn WG-587V
    Prudencio Saez Model 6
    I also have a 15 watt Marshall amp. For tabs I mostly use www.powertabs.net where I am also a tabber with the same username(it's good to see there are powertabbers here too MoP). I rarely use Guitar Pro and www.mysongbook.com also.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Keg: I have a few guitars. I've been playing for many year and I've promised myself a new one for every year since my divorce. LOL I now have 15. My favorite is an '89 Gibson Explorer. I play ok....mostly like blues but play anything. I use a Marshall 65w Valvestate, and have a Peavy Studio Chorus and a cool lil' Brian May Vox amp. I'm not one for pedals...much. I use an MXR Chorus. I'd like to get a Rotovibe and a Crybaby Wah one of these days.
    Here's a link to my web page for my guitars. Not a big collection but it's fun for me. Have a look, dood.... http://hark49.homestead.com/Gtrs.html crazy.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd totally burgle Sal's house! tongue.gif
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I try to play....it just seems that self-teaching isn't getting me anywhere. =]
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I once had as many as seven guitars...but since "retiring" from the grind of playing live shows, I have trimmed it down to three:

Red Gibson SG (complete with punk battlescars)
    Ephiphone Les Paul Studio
    Yamaha Acoustic

I have two amps:

200 watt Marshall Valvestate(good like finding one of those ever again) with full stack.

50 watt Marshall Valvestate portable.

I have dozens of little effects gadgets, but never used them live.

Incidently, my band is reuniting for a Leukemia benefit show in October. I spent last weekend "re-learning" about six old songs. I realized just how much I missed playing them...
  • Deimos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deimos polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing about 7 years...got a Jackson Warrior ( http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?partno=WRXT_Warrior - same colour and everything) and a Squier Strat, a 30w Marshall amp (don't need anything more to play in my room...) and Boss Metal Zone and V-Wah pedals. I'm currently in the process of replacing the stock pickups in my Warrior with an EMG-81/85 combination to create an awesome thrash guitar \m/. I use Guitar Pro 4 with http://www.mysongbook.com for my tabbing needs, although, to be honest, whilst I can play a selection of awesome metal riffs from other bands, I mostly just play my own stuff.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Started playing when I was 12 (10 years now). Had a high school band once and we covered some old Rage against the Machine, and Red Hot Chili Peppers tracks for our school talent show. I'm not as good as I once was. I sold my Jackson Kelly Pro and my Crate Halfstack years ago to concentrate on this 3D stuff.

I still have the urge to play everyday. I keep a Jay Turser guitar and a small Fender combo amp around to keep my chops up. My dad has a rock band going, and built his own garage studio, which I often use to jam in after work, or sit behind the drums. I rely on www.powertabs.net as a reminder of how to play old favorites. I prefer grinding to some Megadeth. When life settles down, I'll buy another Jackson (or ESP, not a fan of Fender), some processors, and get back into the art of shredding.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I have a guitar I bought several years ago, a Kramer Focus. I'm hardly a serious player, I strum it every now and then.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Played bass for 17 years, thats a little less than my age, picked guitar 2 years ago, the switch seemed undoable at first but became pretty good after intensive playing.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    I own a fender -- don't play.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    guitars_001.jpg

not my picture but my guitar is that(exactly the same)-- a Sunn Mustang (some form of Fender)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i own a bass... that's about all i can say..
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

for tabbing i use Guitar Pro 4 demo and get tabs from mysongbook.com. i used power tab briefly but didn't like it as much as GuitarPro 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you beat me to it, GTP 4 is a great tool to learn quickly, it offers a virtual fretboard that plays quite a variety of songs, there's a file with 50000 cover songs flotting around the net.

You can slowdown the speed of which you'd like to play and follow the solos and rhythm with the dots. Pretty cool
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just starting myself....

I got an Ovation acoustic/electric and an epiphone starter electric

w a Fender G-Dec Amp.. <-- fun amp

also a starter behringer amp..

guitar.jpg