Home General Discussion

Ninja Edit: WOO! Computer fixed!

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
OK, so I was just doing some work tonight, when BAM, my whole computer just shut down. I thought it might be a problem with the mains, but my monitors still had power, and they're plugged into the same power strip.

Pressing the power button no longer turns the computer on. It does nothing. I opened up the case, checked all the cables - all still in place.

The LED on the motherboard is lit, so I guess it's not a problem with the PSU?

Is it possible that the processor or RAM is fried?

Anyone got any ideas on how I can test it or maybe get it working again?

[edit]I'm posting from my laptop here, so all is not lost - but all my current work is on the desktop computer's hard drive (ironically I was thinking about backing it up again this morning), and I have no way to get the work off that hard drive and onto the laptop.

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    maybe take out the ram and cpu and try turning it on? if one of those are the problem, i think it should start up, just not go anywhere from the boot up screens.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Just start with the simple troubleshooting procedures and update us.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I tried taking out the RAM, Processor and video card. The motherboard LED is still lit when the mains is turned on, but pressing the power button has no effect. Maybe the switch in the power button is fucked? Heh.

Maybe the power supply is just screwed enough for it not to provide enough power to boot up, but enough to light the mobo LED? It sounds unlikely to me...

So I'd say either the motherboard is broken or the power switch is. Is there any way to turn on the motherboard without the power switch?

Slayerjerman: I'm not too familiar with these simple troubleshooting procedures... this sort of thing hasn't happened to me much, and usually if something goes wrong it's a fairly easy solution. This is confusing the hell out of me - the power is there, all the individual pieces are working fine, but pressing the power switch has no effect...
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    If your power button is fucked, just take off the power button connector on your motherboard and use a screwdriver or some other metal object to touch the 2 points together to turn it on.

Sounds like it's your motherboard or your PSU. Although the LED may be on, one of the other rails may have died.

Test it with a new PS, and if that fails, it's your mobo I'm guessing
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The turbo button should provide a plug that fits on the power button connector. If it's really your power button that should do it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, turbo button? What turbo button tongue.gif

I'm gonna see if I can borrow a PSU today and see if it's that. I really hope that's all it is, I don't want to have buy a whole new motherboard frown.gif
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Turbo button? lol if your using a computer from the stone ages smile.gif

Usually if you can't power on at all, it could be the PSU or the Mobo is fried.

(my stupid Asus fried one day several years ago all by itself and was only a half year old, I got a replacement underwarrenty, but since the board was discontinued they gave me a used one, which was screwed up too, as you had to power up, then press restart to get the system to boot up. I never trusted ASUS anymore cause of that)
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    The same thing happened to me. I ended up getting a new power supply and mother board. I know for sure my problem was the power supply as I got the mobo first and it still did nothing, the original mother board might have been fine I haven't gone back and checked. So I'd suggest you start with a new powersupply first then work your way up.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, fortunately my flatmate has a spare PSU in his room, but he's out at the moment and his room's locked. Thankfully my flatmates are all exceptionally cool guys, and Paul has offered to drive up this afternoon and give me it so we can sort this out.

I have a project deadline in 3 days, and the only up-to-date versions of my work are currently inaccessible in my desktop computer...

With luck, I won't have to buy a new motherboard... I guess I'll find out tonight.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the PSU blew it might have taken the mobo and perhaps the drives with it. Start praying NOW.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh, KDR, you're like a delightful ray of sunshine on a rainy day!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Have you tried again after it's sat for a while? (So it could cool down)
    Check your CPU fan/heatsink. Is it clogged up with dust bunnys? This is the most common problem I've found on computers like this. If the computer doesn't turn on after the CPU has cooled down, then the CPU is probably toast.

Here's some thoughts:
    Does the computer beep at all? Like does it possibly work, but the video crapped out.
    Usually, if the CPU is still good, the motherboard or video card info will appear. If the RAM is bad, it would start beeping or freeze at that point.
    Were you doing anything that would have been a strain on the CPU?

I don't suppose one of your mates has a similar computer that you can try your CPU in. If so, throw it into another computer and see if it'll boot.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shame on you Mop, now you've confused all of the "There is no sarcasm on the internet" people.

Notman: It doesn't power up at all so I doubt it beeps.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's defineatly the PSU or mobo. My PSU fried out on a me back in June, and the same thing was happening (mobo light was still on). Due to that, it took more time to find. But it could also be the mobo. Just swap out that PSU and you should know right away.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Notman: It doesn't power up at all so I doubt it beeps.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't fully power up, but it does receive power because the motherboard lights up. That is the level of power up that I'm refering to.
    That's not to say that it isn't the power supply.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all your help and advice guys - it's up and running again.
    My flatmate is a saviour (thanks Paul, yet again!) ... he had a spare 450W PSU lying around, and just gave it to me. That was all the trouble was - everything else appears to be working perfectly still (I'm posting this from the fixed machine!).

I'm still kinda jittery, when I replaced the whole power supply and booted up, it seemed to be taking a lot longer to load than usual, and I was praying the hard drive wasn't busted.

I'm very lucky - it all seems to be there. Backing up my important stuff is in progress right now. Lesson learned.

Now I'm gonna go to sleep for a very long time, wake up and jump up and down violently on the old, broken PSU with righteous fury!
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    A little birdy told me where to find an express version of some good backup software that can automate a backup to another drive (like a USB or Firewire drive) so in case this happens you can at least take the drive somewhere else and quickly access your files.

If you are reading this and you don't have a current backup of all that graphics work that you've slaved for years over, you are going to take it up the ass at some point. It's not a matter of if, but when.

ftp://ftpdownload.maxtor.com/pub/Personal_Storage/OneTouch/OneTouch_CD.iso

User's Guide...
    http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=1118

This can also be used with tape and CDs. This is not pirated software but something we bundle with external drives for backups. (I'm a Maxtor employee) You don't need a Maxtor external to use it but I encourage you to get one because they quite frankly rock if you've ever had a workstation go down unexpectedly.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    The led on the motherboard is usually from the 5 volt rails. The main power is on the 12 volt rails.

To test your powersupply now (without having to put a new one in yet), find the on/off jumper coming from the powersupply, and short circuit it. All you are doing is completing the circuit.

Like what would fit in those two prong holes? A small piece of stripped wire (like from the interior of a telephone cord). Formed into a U and fit nicely inside.

Dont worry, there isnt much current going through it, but if your worried, use something with a unmetal unhandle to do the task.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    sledgy: funny thing about that... I had a 120gb Maxtor OneTouch (so I already have that software on CD, heh), and it was used as a backup drive for all my important stuff.

Guess what? It stopped working about a week after my old harddrive died. Fortunately I managed to get all the important stuff off it during that week, but damn, I'd only just had it over a year, and I'd treated it really well! Just one day out of the blue (it had just been sitting on top of my computer case for months) it started getting bad sectors - entire folders disappeared and stopped being accessible, or wouldn't copy entirely. Then about a week after that started happening, it just stopped reading anything at all.
    Now I have a very expensive paperweight frown.gif
    Also every USB pen drive I seem to get breaks after a few months - the first one I had stopped being able to write new files to the disk (existing files were fine and readable but the write-protect button seemed to be broken)... i sent that back and got a replacement under warranty. That one worked fine for longer, but then one day just stopped working at all. No read, no write, nothing. I really don't have much luck with hard drives. Did I mention my laptop's hard drive kindly wiped itself one time at boot-up? I still have no idea why that happened. Fine one night, shut down ok. Start it up the next morning - error, bad disk - do a scan on it, no files to be seen. Fixing the master boot record did nothing, scandisk just found a fresh clean drive as if it had been formatted. Had to reinstall windows completely, lost everything.

So yeah... backing up to an external drive is all well and good provided the external drive is reliable. I can't afford to replace an external hard drive once a year frown.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i had a hdd that wouldnt detect in the bios once , so i hit it with a hammer a few times and it started working just long enough to get the data off. I think this should allways be the first step taken when somthings wrong.

One think ive noticed about HDDs ive bought from Maxtor, is that they always seem to go just after a year, ive seen 5 die like this in the last few years. Glad your all sorted tho Mop
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Good to hear Mop, im happy everything is under control for your Pc
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

One think ive noticed about HDDs ive bought from Maxtor, is that they always seem to go just after a year, ive seen 5 die like this in the last few years. Glad your all sorted tho Mop

[/ QUOTE ]

i've had a maxtor drive last a few year, the next died within a few month, and the replacement for that died the very same day. the next maxtor drive i buy will probably explode the moment it arrives.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any geek will tell you "that's to be expected" when you tell him you had a Maxtor drive fail. Maxtor has a really bad reputation. On Slashdot there was a story about a harddrive with self-destruction mechanism (you know, to prevent data from falling into the wrong hands), half the replies were "Maxtor already builds those".

MoP: Do you have an industrial strength magnet lying around somewhere?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: Hmm, I don't think so. The only thing I can think of that might be affecting things is my guitar amp, there's a fairly big speaker in that, but it's not that close to the computer, and it's not turned on most of the time.

I remember my flatmate put some unshielded hi-fi speakers next to his monitor last year, and ever since then it's had nasty little lines of discolouration down the sides...

I moved my guitar amp further from the computer out of paranoia anyway...
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear about that MoP - you could always open up that case and put another drive in it so you can at least get the use of the enclosure (which are extremely good cases IMO)

KDR - Meh, whatever...we have less than 1% of our drives fail within warranty. Granted retail drives are a 1 year warranty now, but so is the rest of the market. "Any geek" (I'm assuming you mean the self-proclaimed computer experts with the coveted A+ certification posting on message boards in a rapid fire attempt to demonstrate his technical dominance over his correspondants before going to bed at 4am and sleeping in the fetal position with dick in hand) strike me as pretty rabid and for some reason they just don't come across with alot of credibility when it comes to becrying our products, or anyone else's for that matter.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    sledgy: Heh, mine failed just outside the warranty frown.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is a strange claim, as I've found Maxtors to be the most reliable HD brand I've owned.

All of the Hitachi, Western Digital, and SeaGate drives Ive had have failed much more rapidly & badly than any of my Maxtors. I had a WD & a Hitachi drives that I purchased and within 1 month they both went tits up, so I replaced them with Maxtors and have been sailing smooth ever since.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's probably just luck of the draw. I've got a Western Digital at home which has been fine for over 5 years, and a Seagate SATA drive in my desktop here, hopefully it'll last as long.
    Also got a really old Western Digital one from about 1995 which still works perfectly. It's only 360mb, though tongue.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: It's pretty common for external drives to go belly up after about a year of use just because of the inherent volatility of the situation...normally an ATA drive is bolted to a computer for its entire lifespan where these get moved around, bumped, jostled & generally abused. To get the most bang for your buck I'd get a Maxline III that has a 5-year warranty to put in the enclosure (and I believe Seagate has quite a few 5-year drives now too). It's a tougher drive and if (when) it fails you can get warranty replacements up to 5 years wink.gif

For ATA drives the difference between HDD mfrs tech is very negligible. We all use the same platter tech, the same mechanisms. The main differences are the logic controllers. It's when you get into the Enterprise-class drives that the physical tech is more divergent. ATA drives are sort of like a Honda: stock staple money making machines and Enterprise drives (SCSI) are like the Lexus: low volume, high profit margin, high performance, high reliability.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    so it's really such a difference? others have told that mid-range scsi drives are basically ide models with a scsi "brain" slapped onto it. but yes, the 5-year warranty is indeed very welcome.

anyway, never owned a maxtor drive myself - most of my stuff is 10k seagate u320 scsi stuff. recently got myself a fujitsu 10k u320 disk as well - hope it's as good and durable as the reviews stated.