Home General Discussion

What are we taken for?

Etienne
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Etienne polycounter lvl 18
Is it just me, or does anyone think that Sony is shaflting the US/Canadien people? I'm sure a some of you have been waiting for the FF:AC cg movie from SqaureEnix, but the North-American relase has been delayed to in sometime November...

The movie will have been ready for a while, but to have better sales they will give the middle finger to the fans.

So I have one question: Will you still be buying the movie?

Etienne

Replies

• SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    You're not going to purchase the movie simply because its release is being delayed for a few months?
    Be patient.

You can't blame anyone for wanting to put themselves in a better position to make profit. No one invests in anything to end up empty handed. If there's an opportunity to increase revenue on a given product, everyone is going to capitalise on it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Have you ever looked at European shelves? Release lists? Do titles like Final Fantasy 3, Xenosaga or Katamari Damacy ring a bell (just a few high-profile ones you might consider important)? If you think the US is being neglected you lack perspective.

BTW, I voted no. Don't take that as indicative of your view, I was never planning on buying FFAC. Thanks but I can live without watching a movie based on the ridiculous clicheed plotlines the japanese cram inside of every single of their RPGs.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    ooh delayed a couple months, well tongue.gif on you I've been waiting for the release of The Movies since it's original release date this time last year. then it was Oct 04, then Feb 05, then June 05, now it's set to be released in October.

is Advent Children still PSP only? if so then i don't care one whit about it.

kdr: i'll take a well crafted cliched plotline in a japanese rpg over a poorly crafted cliched plotline in most american games anytime. smile.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Speaking of PSP, I will cease to be 'shafted' next week, when it's released in the UK.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, great. So now I have to listen to all the UK group rant on about how amazing and terrible it is, and what it can and can't do?!
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Asherr:

The movie will be coming out on DVD and on UMV. I'm sure the UMV will cost the same as the DVD version... Why? who knows... it's not like you can plug your PSP on your TV and watch the movie on a bigger screen.

Also, unlike The Movies, FFCA will have been completed.

As for Europeans... I fell sorry for you. You always get the $hit end of the stick.

SouL: Yes, I can. I can blame any capitalistic company to put themselves before the public. But Hey, I live in a democratic capitalistic world.

KDR_11k: LOL, I like your last comment. Sometimes, they do get a cool story. I don't remember playing a good american RPG. Yes... even the SquareUSA rpgs SUCKed.

ElysiumGX: Well, Japan also get late movies showing. SW:EP3 just came out last month in Japan. Madagascar came out 2 weeks ago there. So... sucks to being UKer, N-Aers and Japanese people I guess...

Movie system has to change...

Etienne
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is Advent Children still PSP only?

It never was though Sony likes to make you think that.

I don't remember playing a good american RPG.

Try one of the D&D ones, Planescape: Torment is held in high regard. Outside of D&D Fallout is very popular.

Asherr: The problem is, with japanese RPGs you can predict plot turns before they happen by spotting the signs. The thing is, the signs aren't related, you just remember that they've been used in that context before. A mention of 8 amulets somewhere? You'll have to find them at some point. Got to find them before the evil guys do to prevent some ancient evil from being revived? You can be sure the evil guys will get their hands on them, usually by taking one of your characters ransom. The game asks you whether to hand over the amulets? Forget it, they'll get them even if you say "no". Some great utopia? Don't worry, they've got their shadow sides and you have to join the rebels to destroy it. Your male swordfighter finds a shy female magic user? Well, there's a 99.9% chance she's the key to saving and/or destroying the world. Oh and the evil guys will have laid vast regions of your homeworld to waste (or, in rare cases, annihilated it completely) before you manage to destroy them but with their destruction suddently the hordes of monsters roaming the world disappear and everybody is happy.

Read the clichees, you'll be able to see any plot turn in a japanese RPG half an hour before it happens minimum. Even without reading them you should have acquired a sense for a few of them just by playing more than one japanese RPG.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Damn, they're delaying Daykatana II, what am i gona do ?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not only that, they've renamed it to "Duke Nukem Forever".
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Morrowind's a good American RPG. Bad games don't usually win Game of the Year...
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    My friend will probably pick it up, since he's a huge fan of Final Fantasy. The only reason i got for checking it out is the technique that is used. I'm not really interested in the story, as most Final Fantasy stories bore me to sleep at about half-way. I agree that they've become very clich