Home General Discussion

Stupid Memory Eating Media Players

PfhorRunner
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
So I was just looking at that Dark Side of phobos thing. It looks pretty neat, but I don't really want to change any game files around when i'm playing certain games (one because im lazy, and two thats kind of lame for customizing soundtacks wink.gif) So, I was just wondering if there were any good -FREE- music players out there that don't eat up the memory? so that my gamer needs won't be taken away because I also want to listen to some tubular music? cool.gif

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    winamp takes maybe 2mb's if you minimize it. I generally sit around 1.5mb's ram useage.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Mine takes 10 MB, not minimized but realistically, what game are you trying to play and what are your specs if 10MB is too much of an impact?
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, i'm just kind of an FPS and loadtime whore. So if there's lag, i bitch a lot frown.gif. Mainly BF2 and HL2 deathmatch. I've been trying to run fear but my poor geforce FX 5600 just wimpers in the corner.

Specs:
    AMD 3200+ on an nForce3 mobo
    1gig of dualchannel PC3200
    160gig hdd
    and a geforceFX5600 ( frown.gif )

And i'm not really saying that i'm having an issue with Lag, i'm just trying to prevent it in the first place. Better to hunt before when I know what I want than to sit and wait for me to get pissed off before i look.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    stick the radio on mate
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Winamp won't cause any noticeable lag, maybe one frame per second less but even that's stretching it.

I mean, hell, sometimes I have Photoshop and Blender running while playing a game, it makes no difference.
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright... thanks. Hawken, I use my noise cancelling headphones, so radio doesn't really do me good. But i think i'll just go with winamp, it seems pretty sufficient and all, plus being able to use the hotkeys in game is cool too.