Home General Discussion

Rockstar Vienna

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
_Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

I am currently on the job hunt and figured out that rockstar vienna is just in the neighboor country. I was wondering, is somebody working there? Or used to work there? And what are they producing? They have no announced projects nor an own brand (they adver with pictures of max payne and san andreas but both are not developed there).

Or does anyone live and work in Vienna? What other companies are there.

Thanks

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    afaik, they are doing various conversions over there, like gta for platforms other than ps2 and so on. it really seems like they do not develop their own titles (red dead revolver was from RS san diego, right?).

anyway, if i was considering vienna, i'd definitely check them out. sproing is another vienna based company that comes to mind, there surely are others.
    i am sure, cost of living in vienna is very high, make sure that the salary reflects that.

off topic i'd be interested in hearing from others how they approach the problem of what kind of salary to demand when applying for jobs abroad. i'm currently considering great britain and have no idea how to find out about cost of living without having lived in that country/specific area before.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    R* Vienna make their own games.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    a workmate of mine is going there... he said things are looking good and they have their own game in development. Probally next gen, I would assume. wink.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you mind givin me his ICQ number or something?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ah thomas.. your going to leave us? :´(

hmm but vienna could realy be cool idear.. hmm.. *writingitdown*

hmm would be great to hear what comes out shimmer
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My name is stephan smile.gif hahahahahaahaaahah
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Possibly he was talking to thomasp, Shimmer wink.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I am stupid smile.gif sorry rollin...;)
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, sorry to ressurect that old thread.
    I had the oppurtunity to talk to them on GC in Leipzig, Germany and I am still searching for somebody who worked with them or or is working there, or something.

As far as I know they are developing 2 titles. One is made with max one with maya. I dunno.

I applicated 2 months ago and still got no answer , though they promised to answer after my talk with them.

However, if somebody could provide me some _more_ info about them without breaking the NDA rules (since Rockstar Vienna is more horrible then the CIA or FBI with this issue) it would be nice.

Most likely I want to know if they are developing a next gen title which requires good knowledge in hipoly modelling and what are is the quality scale for them.

The uncertainity kills me really.....
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    so what? rockstar games are rather popular these days, they probably receive tons over tons of applications just because of name recognition but may have only few seats to fill.

chances are that your application is on file and you'll be called when the opportunity comes up. at least that's what they're known for and what happened to me like four months after the original application.

uncertainity kills you? go, apply somewhere else. it's not like RV are your only choice.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    You're probably best off assuming that the quality scale is off the charts and go from there. It's probably also safe to assume they're developing a next-gen title, especially if they work on more than one project at a time (which I don't know).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    just send 'em your latest work, keep in their face. You'll get some sort of reply.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    howa.. i will buy the game made by max wink.gif

it´s funny but some studios don´t reply and others are sending you an e-mail on the next day.. hmm best thing i can tell you is: don´t get wound up in the idear of getting to RV .. there are other cools studios and games and maybe some time later you get the option to join them .. smile.gif but i wish you good look!!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I live in Germany. Tell me ONE good company here. Its horrible, so austtria, vienna is my first choice.

I am also hella young and I dont feel really ready to sattle to the UK or sweden or something like that (though, I had a chance to work for funcom for 5 months, but per doesnt work there anymore)
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, I live in Germany. Tell me ONE good company here.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know at least TWO (yeah it is really much).

1. Piranha Bytes, makers of the Gothic series. Currently finishing Gothic3
    2.Crytek, makers of Farcry, probably doing Farcry2 now wink.gif

Oh and what about BlueByte, shouldn't they be working on some sort of Settlers game? And what about Sunflower (makers of Anno1602 etc?)

I have no idea if they have any jobs open, but I guess you already applied there.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piranha Bytes, saw their project. REALLY not want to sound too picky or arogant but doing sequel after sequel of an Fantasy RPG dioesnt attract me too much.

Crytek, heh yes. They problably making something big and so on. But they are all a bunch fuckers when it comes to payment. The salaries are hilarious and they made it big already so they should invest into their human resources if you ask me.

Also, ever heard of the "2001" contracts game artist have in Germany in some places? They were written when a lot of germany game companies went bankrupt. So, your payment is very low to keep the industry alive bacj then. Nowadays, dont know what changed, but as I assume not much...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds really typical, indeed. you're judging companies from the outside and apparently based on rumours and/or maketing hype from the net. to at least get a feel what kind of company awaits you, you'll have to apply there or meet them otherwise.

crytek has teamed up with EA and probably has much more money to spend these days, that could have changed their way of doing business altogether.

blue byte is fully owned by UBI these days. from what i gathered, in case they have seats to fill, they simply call up UBI romania. seems like the different UBI studios are quite well networked to each other.

piranha bytes has had successful titles and apparently consists of a very small and very dedicated team. sounds really interesting, especially for a career starting point. jowood used to pay not too shabby (at least me, hehe). also, in case jowood goes under they are the most likely to find a good new contract.

anno-series is now being developed by related designs in mainz.

companies to look out for are surely the one developing the spellcraft series and acony, apparently an UE3 licensee.

what are "2001" contracts? unfortunately there are enough artists out there who are willing to work long hours for almost nothing. that doesn't change the fact that there are well paying companies who value their employees. but a starter will almost for sure not be receiving much, experience is what counts and that's not possible to judge from a hobbyists portfolio.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Piranha Bytes, saw their project. REALLY not want to sound too picky or arogant but doing sequel after sequel of an Fantasy RPG dioesnt attract me too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

But hey, it is the best Fantasy RPG series ever made wink.gif

Hmmm otherwise... Massive was closed recently right?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hmm i also think there are some cool studios.. and if you want to get into the industry why not start somewhere (even when it´s not "perfect" there) to get "used of it".. you don´t have to stay there forever
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly forgot about ASCARON. Have you tried there?
    http://www.ascaron.com/d/news/index.html

They just announced a pretty cool looking space combat game:
    http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/darkstarone/