Home Technical Talk

New tutorial: Using masks in Photoshop

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
Rather basic, but hopefully a few will find it helpful.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/masks.htm

And as always, every new tutorial posted, means an update to my news page, which is vanilla http://www.poopinmymouth.com

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The benefit of this is that I can paint on the layer, and it will always stay circular. Normally I would have to reselect the circle area, or erase afterwards to keep the layer as a circle.

Um, you do know about the lock transparency button, right? You can just select a circle and fill it then select "lock transparency" and the circle stays a circle.

Of course there's still reason for using masks, the smudging you mentioned and more importantly the easy editing of the transparency.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Masks are always your friend. It's very very rare that I'll even use a layer in photoshop without it having a mask.

I thought I was proficient in photoshop, but I didn't even know about the tilde key showing the masked parts in red. I guess the old saying still holds true: "you learn something new every day".
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Yes thank you Poop, im reading this right now, mask are an area in PS that i shrug off and disdain by my deep ignorance of the matter.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The more of these types of tutors the better. I often forget newer artists are blind to the basic steps we have been using for years. Pull out enough of these, and you'll be ready to publish a book, poop.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Sweet Poop, another few pages for that "Poop In My Mouth's Guide to Game Art" book.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Ben rocks! I always tell people that using Photoshop is all about the selection...

Ben, you should include a note about QuickMask, which lets you switch a regular marquee/live selection into a 'temporary alpha' mode that you can paint on. It would just go along to explain how PS's masking tech has many forms, but they all work pretty much the same.

/jzero
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Cool stuff. I never use em, though.