Home General Discussion

Quake3 Sourcecode to be released within a week!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
Breaking news from the QuakeCon.

That is why I love id-software wink.gif

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Just woke up and read that. Very good news. My mods programmer just read it as well, and is now bouncing off the walls. Great things are soon to come for the Q3 engine. Like I said, this may affect Q4 unless they have anything special planned.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I'm surprised they're releasing it at all because it's still a kick-ass-not-so-outdated engine today. It's like UT2k4's minus physics and cubemap light/water.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    CheapAlert: it's only the source, now it's easy to bolt on all the new goodness.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, but considering q3a's pretty advanced itself, what is left to bolt on? All I can think of is flares, particle system, skeletal model format (HOPEFULLY OMG, animating in q3a is really bloddy hell if you're not a max user), some new shader commands that can take advantage of cubemapping and fragment/vertex programs, and ogg support
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also... ode physics, dynamic lights, normal mapping for characters, cubemap water reflections, more advanced animation system with improved and FUNCTIONAL MD3 exporters for most popular 3D apps, better vehicle support, geomipmapped terrians, vegetation, better fog, larger gargoyle cock, etc.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah, but considering q3a's pretty advanced itself, what is left to bolt on? All I can think of is flares, particle system, skeletal model format (HOPEFULLY OMG, animating in q3a is really bloddy hell if you're not a max user), some new shader commands that can take advantage of cubemapping and fragment/vertex programs, and ogg support

[/ QUOTE ]

There are quite a few rumors that skeletal animation in a early from (md4) is already included in the source, but not used until RTCW.

BTW:
    What I wonder is if the engine enhancements from Q3:TeamArena will be included.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What I wonder is if the engine enhancements from Q3:TeamArena will be included.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't doubt it, but team arean didn't even touch the engine with new features at all; just had a completely recoded ui/menu system (and that's seperate from the engine, definitely, it's more into the gamecode. You can choose to build a regular q3a menu or the team arena menu in the project file)

I think a good idea for an engine, is to have backwards compatibility with 1.17 and previous versions for some mods that are good but never got ported (Smash TV Q3a comes to mind...)
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I always thought those texture blending and terrain stuff was introduced with TeamArena, so that would be new engine features.

But now that I think of it, if I remember correctly these features were included in the pointrelease also, so it is probably a sure bet that those enhancements will be included.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just realized, with the q3a source, the model list limit can be eliminated for good smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to compile it without a problem in MSVC++ 6 and remove the pk3 checksum protection, making it usable for my project

w0000000t!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yippee. the project i'm on will be stand-alone. Does that count as a released title? Linux option included in source. w00t.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was able to compile it without a problem in MSVC++ 6 and remove the pk3 checksum protection, making it usable for my project

w0000000t!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, wouldn't it be better to simply change the checksum to your files, instead to removing the check?
    After all, the option to run on pure servers was one of the most effective anti cheat protections in Q3 (although addmitibly it is a lot less usefull now that the source is released).
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

w0000000t!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, wouldn't it be better to simply change the checksum to your files, instead to removing the check?
    After all, the option to run on pure servers was one of the most effective anti cheat protections in Q3 (although addmitibly it is a lot less usefull now that the source is released).

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, I mean the startup protection that it only allows Quake3's pak0.pk3 to start the game.

Now it can start without needing q3a laugh.gif
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Not had time to check over the source, but downloaded it earlier today (erm yesterday).

What sort of design over Quake 2 does the Engine have?
  • PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    So... Has anyone made any cool things for it yet?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    So... Has anyone made any cool things for it yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not yet, people are still hacking away with errors and discoveries. Nobody's enhanced it yet. I've been working on OpenArena though, just got the decals/shadow shader to work so it doesn't spam the console ;D

[ QUOTE ]
    What sort of design over Quake 2 does the Engine have?

[/ QUOTE ]

New map format, new model format (supports tags and multiple groups), a shader system, CLIENT-SIDE game code (so your super special fx won't lag the server, yes this one's important), and a faster, better looking renderer.