Home Technical Talk

Oh man... what a stupid MAX question!? :/

jehuty
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jehuty polycounter lvl 18
hello guys,

well i have a very stupid question for you... check this out:

let's say you have three planes overlapping more or less each other, i want to put them together but not only via attching, i want them to be ONE meshobject... kind of melted together if you want, no matter how the edges will look like after the "melting"....!
man you know... i neve ever used/did this before and i absolutly have no idea how to do it! please help me... i dont even know how the function is called... jeez! :S

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I can't think of an automated way to do this. The only thing I can suggest is to manually cut out the overlapping part and the verts together.
  • Rakile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rakile polycounter lvl 18
    If I'm reading this correctly, I think one thing that you could try is attaching two of the other planes to the third, then welding the verts... Oh, wait, boolean! First, select one of the planes. Then go to compound objects, and select boolean. There's a button that says pick operand B. Underneath that is a group of radio buttons. Select union, and then press the pick operand button and select one of the planes you want to fuse to the one you picked. It should make them into one object, and then you just select that and repeat. If it does something weird, let me know and I'll try to put together a quick example and post it up to the server space I have at my old school.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    The main reason I didn't suggest booleans is that you get strange results a lot of the time if the objects are closed. So I don't know what'll happen if you tried to boolean planes together, but give it a shot.
  • jehuty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jehuty polycounter lvl 18
    well i did a boolean try... but as you said FA it f**** it up... well np i will make it completly new. should have done it before... :/ but thanks anyway guys... with 3ds max you never stop learning laugh.gif!
  • Rakile
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rakile polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I remember one of my friends from school showing me how using boolean to subtract one shape from another can really screw up the mesh. That was the only thing I could think of that would actually fuse shapes together. I had another idea, but it would probably be just about as much work as starting over. 3D max is like a crazy man. You know what it'll do most of the time, but it has it's moments. smirk.gif
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    max 7 has bridge. First attache both planes together then go to the border edge subobject and nit bridge. done and done.