Home General Discussion

Quake 4 singleplayer footage from Quakecon

lkraan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
lkraan polycounter lvl 18
Here a 180-some meg movie of the opening and first level. Filmed with a cam but you get a good idea of the singleplayer stuff. Got me excited laugh.gif

http://www.planetquake3.net/download.php?op=fileid&lid=2210

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, looks pretty cool. Go go strogg-man!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres some silly parts but its looking a little better than i expected it to... Maybe it wont TOTALY suck, yay!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    It wont suck, it looks pretty decent even.

Im happy they decided to go the Multiplayer Arena way and not just a darken air-shaft populated by brain eating zombies that were infected by some vilain mega-corporation.

And also thanks for not hadding 15 inch layers of normalmaps everywhere and textures
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK!?!?!

i think it looks great. all hope is restored. i'm happy with how they're handling the singleplayer and multiplayer. let D3 die, and let Q4 take it's place. i like the outdoor environments, and instant action. much respect to Raven. I'll pick this up after ordering an extra HDD.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, i got to play it for a while and i gotta say... its like playing q2 deathmatch again. I'm very happy with what raven/id did with it! They kept the silly little awards that you got in quake3 but moved back into a classic gaming feel. Thank god that the weapons are accualy based on the original ones... Sort of. wink.gif
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    i give that vid a big.... meh..
    was hoping that the whole 'becoming a strogg' bit was gonna psyche me up about this game... but it honestly bored the hell outta me...
    intro felt like somewhere between Halo and HL: OpForce..
    maybe i'll pick the game up if the mp's entertaining, and at least the SP has some proper action.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah looked fun enough to play. Certainly waaaaayyy more of an actual single player game in there than Doom3 or Quake3! Anything that's a throwback to Q2 is good by me.

And er, peanut, I'd take a closer look at the vid If I were you. It's the Doom3 engine smile.gif It's very much knee deep in stencil buffered shadows, per pixel shaders and normal maps. Looks great on it too.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Not as impressed versus the MP. Though the strogg portion was cool, and you can never go wrong with mechs.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Recent weeks the graphics of the screenshots and overall information that has been released, really was making me thing 'Crap RavenSoft has dropped the ball on this'

After watching the footage though, must say that I'm actually now REALLY looking forward to it. One thing I will say is you only saw it for a very brief few seconds but...

FLASHLIGHT ATTACHED TO THE GUN WITH NO BATTERY BAR!

To me, this seems like a serious improvement no matter how pathetically easy to do over both Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.
    As in Doom3 I got sick of either being able to see something killing me, or shooting blindly in to the darkness. In Half-Life 2 it always bloody ran out of power right when you needed it the most.

So to me that seems like a huge improvement. The look of the game, actually does seem to be a cross between a WW2 game like Medal of Honour and Quake 2. Looks like they're going to be providing that war-like feel they promised.

I'm still slightly skeptical about some of the Stroggos but from a distance and the number that attack it looks like it should provide some good entertainment.

Not sure about the whole 'turned into a Strogg' thing, however it does clearly appear there is a more involving storyline that again the two games it's going to be compared to. This isn't really something I've ever been majorly worried about because the past 5years with the Quake3 technology RavenSoft have been able to really pump out some good storymode games.

One thing I do hope is that this is longer than Jedi Knight II, which was disappointingly short. The games pace moved far too quickly and I often felt in that like you were moved to different locations because it made for nice change of scenary rather than making sense in the story.

On the whole as I said, I'm now official amped to see this. smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think I'm in love