Home General Discussion

Looking to chat with working professionals

mgrd
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
mgrd polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, I just started at Full Sail Real World Education in Winter Park, Florida in the computer animation degree, I'm actually in my 3rd week starting monday...
Anyways I was wondering if anyone would have the time to answer a few questions one on one for a networking lab i have in Behavioral Science, I'm specifically looking for a Modeller or Animator in the professional realm, big or small company, it doesn't matter, just need to talk to someone with experience in the industry. Any help would be appreciated, you can contact me at linuxtouched.me@gmail.com or on AIM at ImGoingToHell ... Thanks all, hope to hear from some of you soon.

Matt

Replies

• Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    I've often wondered. Why do Universities always have 'Interview {insert profession} from the Industry' coursework?

I mean you can't really hope to achieve much as everyone's experience is different. Each person will feel differently about the job, what it means, etc.

So unless your asking the most vague questions getting vague answers which could probably be just as easily looked on the EA Employee FAQ, it doesn't seem to really make much sense. smile.gif

After all, I've worked at some companies where they've treated me differently because I'm fairly young; where-as others don't care provided you can keep up with thier level of work. Each team has a different take on what pipelines are used, this also can change from program to program used.

Just a random sea of madness. Probably just some easy coursework given out by the tutors just so they can enjoy thier first week back. heh
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    It's a way to get students to draw a line from what they think people do in the bizz and get a taste from an informed opinion.

Talking to people who do what they want to do helps them understand what they need to get there. Like any questionaire/survey if they get a nice cross-section they will be able to direct their efforts better/smarter. it might even be their first opportunity to network.

Connecting students with the real-world throughout their education is so important. It's easy to peddel really fast and end up in the wrong place.

Effort should be properly guided so that students work hard and smart not just brute force. Ogreing your way thru your education just gets you pissed off in the end when you cant find a job.

In retrospect, most of us at in college had no grounding in the real-world (as far as professional art was concerned) When I was asked to do this kind of interview thing it really grounded me.

-R
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I often chat with "professionals" at my local bar.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've often wondered. Why do Universities always have 'Interview {insert profession} from the Industry' coursework?

I mean you can't really hope to achieve much as everyone's experience is different. Each person will feel differently about the job, what it means, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes perfect sense to me. It's an opportunity to get the perspective from somebody who is working in the field and you get practice interviewing somebody.

Ofcourse everybody's experience is different but if a school only sticks to teaching whatever counts for everybody then you'll never get beyond textbooks which won't really prepare you for the "real world".

I had to do these kind of assigments too and we had a lot of people from outside the college come and talk for a couple of hours about their work or projects and afterwards we usually had to discuss this in relation to the theory of the specific class. I always found that interesting and usefull.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    hmm.. I never had any formal art education, got my first job simply because someone left and they needed a replacement at where I was working doing the odd-body tasks.

So never really understood most of what these Uni's teach. I can see that it might help to get some insight into how things work. Though I've been asked a few times to answer the questions.

Most of the time it's stuff that doesn't really matter. Like, How long have you been doing 3D Professionally? and How did you get started?

Motiviation and Reason don't seem much up there in getting an understanding. Something like, 'When your working in a team how does it compare to working alone?' you know some questions that would actually provide an understanding of how things work in your experience. smile.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I often chat with "professionals" at my local whore house.

[/ QUOTE ]
    They probably display more professionalism than you do. Thanks for giving a new user a great first impression of the forum.
    I'm sure he'll have great things to tell about it at school.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    What exactly is a professional? I picture those sort of people at over 50 at least.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    In Canada it's a legal term to describe jobs like dentists, lawyers, engineers, doctors, ect ect.

Professionals can be called in by the gov to testify in a court of law as autjhorities on a subject.

In Canada; professionals can also serve as signatories for official identification like Landed Immigrant cards, passports or reissued birth certificates.

Professionals usually imply spacific post-secondary education and some standardized qual's throughout your career.

For example: there are programs for dentistry and you leave that school and practice as a dentist, and you must qualify to practice under law. The same is true in Canada for all professionals like doctors, lawyers and even engineers.

The term 'pro' can be used loosely too, and it doesn't imply any of these things.

-R
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Professional comes from the word profession. For example if you do art for a living then you are a professional artist but if its your hobby then you are amateur/hobbyist. Amateur can do the work 10x better than professional but since he doesnt do it for a living he is not called professional.

Atleast thats how i understand it.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pak: Oh yes, I remember when the canadian engineer's guild (I think) sued Microsoft for their "MCSE" title because a "Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer" does not hold an engineer's degree and is therefore not allowed to call himself an engineer. Apparently Canada is pretty strict when it comes to job titles.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    in the US being a "Professional" means you don't qualify for overtime pay
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    lol... in the UK if you have been working in a given field for 3years you are counted as a professional of that job.
    Everyone seems to have thier own definition of it though, so god knows.

Just know that's the legal defintion as explained to me by my cute finance manager. laugh.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

in the UK if you have been working in a given field for 3years you are counted as a professional of that job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that make you a professional nose picker Raven? *wink*
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder how many professional assholes they'd have by that definition...
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Ive recently graduate from Full Sail myself, if your interested in my experience id be happy to describe it. just send me a PM.