Home General Discussion

Tom's Hardware smack downs BF2 patching.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Love this part:
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to sit someone down from places like EA and DICE and ask them just what they're playing at. Of course I'd probably get the boilerplate answer telling me about their commitment to the highest standards in their thorough testing processes.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20050813/index.html

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    A patch should make a game easier to play by fixing bugs, not put new ones in it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh u r rite, LOL man, LOL!

I find no evidence of anything other than bog standard armchair criticism. It's certainly valid criticism (yes, games these days have a lot of bugs, sometimes patches make things worse) but is he hurting so much for a column topic that he has to parrot back a universal sentiment in the most general of terms? It's typical for outside commentary on the subject.
    Put together a website, maybe a bitchin' casemod or two even, and suddenly you are in a position to criticize how a billion dollar company handles what is, despite all valid criticisms, a very fun and successful title?

There are plenty of people on these boards that have been on projects that have been far more poorly handled than BF2. This is not to excuse all the bugs that the article brings up... but seriously, it's not like there's someone at the top who's willfully sabotaging the game. It's a complex operation, and it's a little tiring to deal with people going around with their "when I am King" fantasies of game development. We know better.

And please, don't give us the "we the consumers" routine. If you think BF2 is that fucked up--which I don't--then don't play it, to take your brave stand against EA shitting on your high standards of quality. Boy, if only EA could put together a game like the people who put together the unrated cut of White Chicks! Now that's quality entertainment!

People always talk about voting with the wallets, etc. etc. but very few people seem to really follow through with that rather hollow threat. Yes, it's a shame that a great game like BF2 shouldn't be even better and be clear of these bugs from the get-go.
    Who at EA or Dice would disagree with that statement? You think they got together and had meetings about how exquisitely they could fuck up the release of their hotly anticipated title? How there are probably a ton of people in both EA and Dice who feel the exact same way?
    Let's have just a liiiiittle bit more sympathy for the people in question, and try and think of them as people, not just some strange and faceless corporation that is ruining games just to see if you, the valiant Consumer, will stand for it. Many of us are working for companies, we can give them the same consideration we would like to be given in their situation.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey gauss, ever seen "History of the World Part I"? Watch the spot about the first artist and then critic. wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i've seen it but it's been a while. kindly remind me of the relevance of the sequence? also, critic is a noun. smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So is artist. first "noun" and then "noun". They followed one another in the sequence. How should I have stated that?

Anyhow, the caveman paints a cave wall scene with animals and hunting. The voice over describes him as the first artist. Then another caveman on a rock above looks up and down at the painting while the artist and crowd wait in expectation. The voice over comes back speaking darker and says, "But then, came the first critic." The caveman on the rock then pulls down his furs and proceeds to piss all over the painting.

My point is that someone is always going to criticize something. Always have, always will. In this case I would say at least having a larger site rant about it might be good in that this patch annoyance is happening more and more often, if no one else, EAs marketing and business side cant simply play it off as a small select group.

In the future they might be embarrased financially to allow the developers to have more time to crush bugs before unrealistic releases.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You should have said either 'and then criticize' or 'and then offer critique'.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about "Watch the spot about the first artist; who is then followed by the first critic." ?
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    ahhhh ok, yes now i remember. i was confused because i thought you were saying "watch the first artist and then critique", like Daz said, i thought you were saying watch the bit about the artist and then comment. that is a pretty funny sequence now that i recall.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Sorta related, Steam happened to release an update yesterday that broke almost everything. HL and mods crash alot now, and wtf is my single player game being VAC'd...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I think a company that is known for providing game benchmarks as a means of reviewing hardware for the consumers interest should have a say on the quality of realtime applications being released. It's a way to focus the general public opinion, and say to EA and DICE "stop it".

You don't serve food before it's properly cooked, and you don't release software until it works (this goes for everyone all the way up to the source (Windows)). If that's not possible, then we're all going to be knee deep in shit in the PC world.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    so gx, you think all bitching would have stopped if EA would have said, oh.. we are holding off release of bf2 for another year!" nope people would have bitched more about that, people were bitching about it taking so long for the patch to come out, then when it comes out, they bitch about it not being ready for release, the general populace of gamers seem to think that a patch is something that is simple, something like "well this is wrong, lets fix it!" then scribble in a few lines of code and its done. i asure you these companys like our money and are not willingly trying to piss people off.. but throughout the history of man kind, it has been easier to upset a person than to please them.

I just went and read this clowns article about the subject and it's obvious he is a tool that has no idea what goes on behind the scens of making a game,

even if they test on a hundred machines for 6 months , you would not find a fraction of the bugs as the hundreds of thousands of computers running the game on the day of release,

the first patch while everyone claims it to be a horrible nightmare, worked fine for myself and pretty much everyone at work that plays bf2 with me, we hadno problems at all after that patch, i used it up untill the newer patch came out,

bf2 is pretty much the only game i am playing currently, and hey its heaps loads of fun.

we get the same thing witht he mod tools, when they were not released on time because dice said they were not ready, everyone was furious demanding for them pronto, but then they are released, and not ready, and everyone complains that they are not useable.. morons
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was upset when the mod tools weren't released as they were planned (part of the reason for buying the game), which started the waiting game. but I waited with hopes of it giving them plenty of time to test the software so it's functional. it's far from it. and it just adds on to a list of misleading statements. that's bad business. I like BF2 btw. I'll probably like it more in a year. I will not be in a hurry to buy BF3.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Actually something that people seem to quickly forget is that the PC is not static hardware.

There are over a billion combinations of hardware at any one given time. Trying to make things work correctly on all of them is a pain in the arse, and not entirely the developers fault.

As good example is that on my desktop, I've not had any issues with Steam since release. Yet other people seem to have mountains of problems with Steam calling it crap.

Perhaps I have more generic hardware, or I have the same hardware as Steam was tested on, or a number of other reasons.

Whatever the reason is. I could play-test Steam of a week on this computer and I might never find a bug that causes the application to crash becuase on this system it doesn't.

A friend has a pretty similar spec system, I think the Mobo is a different manufacturer. Steam crashes the instant he boots it up.

The only way the programmers can solve issues like this is when people make bug reports. However most people just don't. They feel it's the problem of the programmers being lazy without enough play-testing.

So as far as the programmers are conserned, everything works how it should. Of course this isn't always the case, but most of the time many bugs that slip out can be chalked up to this.

I don't play BF2, for 2 reasons. I'm not a fan of the original, and the demo ran like pap on my FX5200 system.
    I have a much quicker system too, but I prefer to only use it when I want to play things in high-resolution.

As daily use slows down Windows. Easier to optimised something used only for a few hours each week than all the time. smile.gif

Be nice if Microsoft released a decent OS that didn't have 90% bloat for things that most of us will never really need to use. Like Windows Lite or something. Optimised for those who only do a few repetitive tasks. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Raven there are games out there for PC that wont crash on most hardware. Did aliens made these games because according to you its just not possible to do by mere humans!!!!
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    BitchMoanWhineBitchMoanWhine... It's a never-ending cycle! wink.gif
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what life is about, isnt it?
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Regardless, I luv this game. It is beautiful to look at. Gameplay is fantastic. Encouraging teamplay is a new twist for me....as well as the rewards such as rank, medals, ribbons and great stats records. The Commander, and Squad Leader is also a cool addition as well as damage assist. They've given a lot of thought to making this game last. The best $39 I've ever spent. As intricate as this game is I am amazed it runs THIS well. I only have a few small gripes which are being taken care of. NO, I wouldn't want to wait another year till they perfected it. OMHO smile.gif
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what life is about, isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]...Wasn't that sex or all the knowledge in the universe?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toomas, do these games that never crash and work perfect push the limits that bf2 do? i'm sure you can make a safe game, cut back on graphical abilities, and number of players, and all that jazz. but bf2 were working on making a HUGE battle experience with top of the line graphics.. thats a whole difrent matter
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well in its hey day, I dont remember UT2004 having this problems in CTF and other team based game types.

Besides, BF2 graphics arent that top notch.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Besides, BF2 graphics arent that top notch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ. To say that you're failing to understand some of the graphical tricks they are pulling off.

Note how there is a subtle GI lighting effect on models in shadowed areas. Normals that face upward are tinted blue to reflect the sky, normals that face down brownish. Now find me another game that's doing that. Everything is self shadowing too. That's some serious math happening there.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe so, but it failed to smack me in the face and drag me around with jaw dropping ohhhs and auuuhs. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have it on lowish settings?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I remember running the demo on max settings (although it was a little sluggish with 4xAA on) and thinking it looked really damn good. Not the sort of in-your-face graphical bells and whistles of Doom3 or something, but the subtle, understated coolness that is a lot of elements working very well together.

From the sounds of all these bugs, I'm kinda glad I didn't buy it yet, though :P
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mop, the bugs are being WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY over hyyped.. anow after the first patch i NEVER have problems.. and out of like 8 or sp people that play it here at work on a regular basis with me, only one of them ocasionaly has glitchy graphics bugs, and its rare that it happens to him. no one i knew personaly had any issues with that "disasterous" first patch, it pretty much worked fine for me.

in my opinion the majority of the hate i hear about this is just people being quick to diss EA since it has officialy become the "Microsoft" of the game industry.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    EA has killed the private servers with their whole ranked servers. Not until mods come out will that maybe change.

Problem with bf2 is the massive balance issues with the helicopters and planes.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    1."There are over a billion combinations of hardware at any one given time."

2."The only way the programmers can solve issues like this is when people make bug reports. However most people just don't. They feel it's the problem of the programmers being lazy without enough play-testing."

3."I don't play BF2, for 2 reasons. I'm not a fan of the original, and the demo ran like pap on my FX5200 system.
    I have a much quicker system too, but I prefer to only use it when I want to play things in high-resolution."

4."Be nice if Microsoft released a decent OS that didn't have 90% bloat for things that most of us will never really need to use. Like Windows Lite or something. Optimised for those who only do a few repetitive tasks. smile.gif"

[/ QUOTE ]

1.It's really not that bad at all. Developers know that no one can run BF2 on a P2 slot processor. X86 procs, card-specific shaders, sound cards... I can't think of anything else thats specialized?

2.That's what a beta is for. And actually if the program has a semi-convenient way to report a bug (like WoW), I wouldn't be surprised if almost everyone sent in the report.

3.I don't understand your logic. You don't play it because it won't run on your outdated hardware, yet you don't want to play it on your "newer" system because it's only for high res?

4.I'm tired of uneducated fools saying this. "I HEARD A LINUX GUURU WHO WAS LIKE TEH UBER LEET SAY THAT WINDOWS SUX N SHIT YO BECAUSE ITS BLOATED YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN MAN? IT'S ALL IN DAT BLOATED SHIT AND THE FLUX R CAPACITOR MAN, YOU JUST GOTTA KNOW ELECTRONICS N SHIT TO UNDERSTAND I GUESS." XP is a great OS, and if you feel that the services are unnecessary, they can be easily removed or stopped. I would suggest educating yourself on the subject if it bothers you that much.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I play BF2 with settings on high at a res of 1024 x 768. Even on the High setting, not all of the options are at their highest. If on all max settings, my card can barely put on a frame per sec...and I'm still not on my monitors native res. That's pretty impressive stuff going on. All of which can be scaled down to run on a cheap radeon 8500. I haven't had any serious bug issues since the latest patch, and I'm fine with that. Just wish they would change some gameplay elements around, like balancing. For now, my bitching and moaning will be towards the editor which they spent so much time bragging about. Because I want to learn to create levels that look just as amazing as the ones in the game...NOW!!! :P
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    1.It's really not that bad at all. Developers know that no one can run BF2 on a P2 slot processor. X86 procs, card-specific shaders, sound cards... I can't think of anything else thats specialized?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my local computer store there are 14 different motherboards for the AMD AthlonXP/Duron/Semperon Processor, just within the <£50 Range.

Now there are also 5 distinctly different RAM Manufacturers and 4 different RAM types.

Combine this with 3 Processor Types (Duron/AthlonXP/Semperon) as well as there also being 2 variations of each of these type. (let alone the different speeds which react differently)

So next we combine that there are 5 GPU manufacturers each with atleast 2 Shader Generation Cards on the Market. (some have 3 Generations on the market right now!)

These are just the limited options in my local computer store, and I'm sure that's not all of them.

Yes different Ram reacts differently, so does the same chipset by different manufacturers. Processor react differently based on hardware they're on. As do the GPU.

Now weren't not even getting into the extended media required to run the computer like PSU, NiC, USB, Optical-Drives, Hard Drives, etc.

As I said there is a huge number of combinations and getting games to run the same on all of them is a near impossible task. You can get a good majority of them to work, but still you can't fix bugs where the exact same graphics processor is being used and works on one system but another manufacturers on another causes all of the textures to not load.

[ QUOTE ]
    2.That's what a beta is for. And actually if the program has a semi-convenient way to report a bug (like WoW), I wouldn't be surprised if almost everyone sent in the report.

[/ QUOTE ]

Companies only have a very limited resources for testing purposes.

BattleField 2 *WAS* Beta Tested publically for a better market hit. This is becomming a bigger trend. Yet people see these as 'free play' time. Where they get to play unreleased games. Developers don't get bug reports back, obviously it works so you ship it.

[ QUOTE ]
    3.I don't understand your logic. You don't play it because it won't run on your outdated hardware, yet you don't want to play it on your "newer" system because it's only for high res?

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, my 7800 requires a freaking 550watt PSU just to run without rebooting Windows XP. Unless your willing to pay my electric bill, I'm sticking with my "outdated" hardware.

Something that plays even Doom 3 on High Settings are a reasonable speed. Yet BF2 is unplayable even on the lowest settings. I've not had any issues with any other games except that dumbass Ninja Turtles Game.

You know what ticks me off. I had my GeForce 2 GTS for almost 4years, and it was still capable of keeping up with almost every game I threw at it. Now graphics cards are becomming completely obsolete within a year.

The only way to keep up and actually have enough money left over to actually buy the games your buying the hardware for, is to get a budget card. At which point almost every developer does thier damndest to make sure it's obsolete the day you buy it.

Anyone ever wonders why the PC market is bottoming out compared to the booming console market, it's simply because £350 every damn year just to make sure you can play the latest games at more than a jerky crawl quite simply isn't worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
    4.I'm tired of uneducated fools saying this. "I HEARD A LINUX GUURU WHO WAS LIKE TEH UBER LEET SAY THAT WINDOWS SUX N SHIT YO BECAUSE ITS BLOATED YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN MAN? IT'S ALL IN DAT BLOATED SHIT AND THE FLUX R CAPACITOR MAN, YOU JUST GOTTA KNOW ELECTRONICS N SHIT TO UNDERSTAND I GUESS." XP is a great OS, and if you feel that the services are unnecessary, they can be easily removed or stopped. I would suggest educating yourself on the subject if it bothers you that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse me, you think cause I believe that Microsoft Windows right now is 90% bloat when it comes to daily tasks that instantly I'm some children's operatering system fan?

There is only so much you can 'optimise' for Windows XP Home/Professional. I can run Half-Life 2 on it's default setting on this system on Windows XP Pro SP2, at 50fps.

I can run it on this system using Windows XP Embedded (which compiles every library for your system specifically) at over 80fps. Allowing me to push the graphics up, yes even on this 'obsolete' peice of hardware.

Yet not everyone is willing to wait the better part of a day to compile Windows XP specifically for thier computer, especially as, once you upgrade a component or drivers you have to recompile it.

Hell look at the X-Box, that's not running anything special over a standard Desktop PC. It uses Shared-Ram (which is slower than dedicated RAM even with the extra bandwidth). It's also running a slightly better GeForce 3 than your bog-standard street edition. But underneath it all is a stripped down copy of Windows 2000 and DirectX.

You cannot hope to achieve that sort of performance boost in regular Windows. Simply because quite a few of the libraries that are there specifically for your everyday takes are link to other libraries linked to other libraries. You can't simply take or disable one thing.

The services you run and can see are only a fraction of the REAL processes going on. Just to run an application Window, how much RAM and Processor time do you think it takes at a low resolution of 1024x768?

How many instances do you think you have just running the desktop with that one window?

YES, these things are there in order to provide a friendly easy interface for everyday applications and such. Yet there is nothing stopping Microsoft from releasing a hugely cut-down variation of Windows specifically for regular users.

It's like a TOCA Car. You ever looked inside a TOCA Car?
    It is your regular family Coupé, like Volvo S40 or something. Yet everything unessencial to racing is stipped.
    This allows them to perform better, because there is less weight. They can also be tuned more specifically to the task at hand.

It's not a dig at Windows XP being bad, it's just a simple fact. It is unoptimised. For being able to do basically anything IT has to be relatively unoptimised so it can adapt to any situation.

I don't see an issue with this changing though.
    Why should Doom3 be playable on an Intel P3 733MHz / 64MB / GF3 X-Box, yet to achieve the same on a desktop you need an Intel P4 1.5GHz / 256MB / GFFX 5700 128MB.

Sure they can optimise the console more, but to the pointer where you need over double the hardware to achieve the same speed?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    On the first topic, if you can show me any PSU or RAM or any of the sort that acts any differently (besides minor speed differences) than the next, please show me.

On the second, if everyone sees it as "free play time", why don't they stress people to give them bug info? What about closed betas?

Third, why would you shell out over 500 dollars for a graphics card, yet not be willing to pay for electricity to do occasional gaming?!

And yes, if you say Windows is 90% bloated, then yes, that's the general impression I got out of your statement.

If you get over a 50% boost with embedded, then you obviously had a stock install on the original. In fact, I've never seen a 50% boost on an embedded system. Could you show some benchmarks or proof on the web?

About Doom3, it was highly optimized for the Xbox's proprietary hardware, and it still looked worse.

Sure Windows is bloated, but if you're a hardcore gamer who absolutely needs more FPS, there's lots of things you can do. Almost all services can be removed (read this), you can store your core in memory, use your L2 cache, etc. I think there's a program called GameXP somewhere that does a lot of optimization before you go into a game.

And also, sorry for soundin like a douche on that last part of my last post. I just get into it too much sometimes laugh.gif.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    it's alright, everyone sounds like a douche by nature of arguing this stuff at all. and on that note:

Raven, to go with the race car analogy--would you agree that a TOCA car isn't a very good for the family of four who need to pick up the kids from school and go get groceries? If XP only had to function a specific way for a specific subset of users, it might be as lean and mean as you fantasize that it could be. it being "bloated" is natural given that it's a catch-all for non-mac, non-alternative-OS-users (those together being a significant minority). that's what linux is for, is for the people who have the wherewithal or the need to somehow prove to other people that they run a more awesome, efficient operating system. just like cars. there are guys who drive totally bitching tricked-out street racers that impress other guys who do the same thing, but don't really mean much to the general public. people who make case-mods tend to impress other people who make case mods; it's kind of a closed loop. XP is a one size fits all solution so naturally it's not going to fit everyone, and that's cool, that's why there are some great alternatives (that can't run any of the apps/games you want to. oops.)

XP is a good product that does what it should, which is work reasonably well for the vast majority of computer users out there. sure it could be better, but isn't that always the case?

and thank you Rhinokey, i'm glad that people who work in this industry see the sense that people aren't willfully trying to fuck things up and that it's not a simple process.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If you can explain to me why Joe Sixpack wants his RPC manager to take orders from random computers on the internet you might be right.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Third, why would you shell out over 500 dollars for a graphics card, yet not be willing to pay for electricity to do occasional gaming?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never paid for the card. Besides cards have more uses than just gaming, being able to render in half the time over my Quadro being on of the benefits.

[ QUOTE ]
    About Doom3, it was highly optimized for the Xbox's proprietary hardware, and it still looked worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try playing the game on low-settings, I personally can't tell the difference between the X-Box and PC versions on Low-Graphics. Sure the X-Box is only going 30fps, but as I said to achieve the same speed you need to almost literally double the power for the PC.

[ QUOTE ]
    Raven, to go with the race car analogy--would you agree that a TOCA car isn't a very good for the family of four who need to pick up the kids from school and go get groceries? If XP only had to function a specific way for a specific subset of users, it might be as lean and mean as you fantasize that it could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no Guass don't get me wrong. Windows XP Home / Professional do provide stuff that suits everyday life. I just think it would be good if Microsoft could release a Lite version as-well as the standard versions.

Something that will optimise more for gaming, and provide only the most basic front-end abilities. I just think it's a good idea.

Of course I'd still use Professional on most of my machines, probably a dual-boot. Having the option of being able to boot Windows just for random things rather than working would be good.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    People are bitches. People will always bitch. People will bitch if you screw them over, people will bitch if you bend over backwards to help them. And the bitching is always, always louder than any praise. That's one of the things this industry has made very, very clear to me.

Frank the Avenger