Home General Discussion

Thinning Hair

eXpendabLe
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
I've noticed my hair slowly thinning on top over the years and wondered if anyone with this common condition has tried any over-the-counter products that have helped. I'm considering going to a doctor, but am not well informed on the subject and weeding through the google results is just adding to my confusion as to what is a legitimate product or treatment. Anyone have a recomendation or suggestion?

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Do you wear hats or caps often? hair product as well?

If your hair isnt thinning due to genetics that could be the cause,sweat,how much circulation your hair folicles are getting and certain chmicals found in products are known to thin hair out.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I rarely wear a hat unless I'm golfing or doing yard work. I'm not sure about the genetics because I heard that genetic hair loss comes from your mother's side. If so, there's no hair loss on that side of the family. I use gel on occasion, but otherwise I dont use much of anything other than shampoo/conditioner.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    have someone massage your scalp and get the blood flowing. or, perhaps you should use more cowbell.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I just look at it as a product of the environment. As a species we've moved indoors almost exclusively except for quick jaunts outdoors to the car/train/bus. When we moved into caves we lost most of our body hair (with a few exceptions) and it's just a matter of time before we're as bald as a baby's bottom. Embrace the inevitable.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone have a recomendation or suggestion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shave it all off. At least that leaves you your dignity unlike those who do a ridiculous comb-over or attempt to compensate by growing a pony-tail:

196.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Im fortunate in that theres no baldness in my family,too much hair on me nogin
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    a friend of mine started loosing hair when he was like 19-20. For him it was genetic i guess since both his father and grandfather etc also lost their hair at that time.

Anyways, he tried "rogaine" without any result at all. Eventually he just shaved it all off. Looks real good on him so if u got the right headshape i say just get rid of it smile.gif
    Another friend of mine with the same problem actually went and had hair transplanted onto his head! im not sure but i think this procedure was kinda expensive and imo not worth the money.. But he is happy. I say try rogaine or something like that and if it doesnt work just get rid of it (the hair that is)
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fortunately Im nowhere near needing to shave it all off although I'd definately do that if it gets to that point. I tried more cowbell with no luck. frown.gif
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just look at it as a product of the environment. As a species we've moved indoors almost exclusively except for quick jaunts outdoors to the car/train/bus. When we moved into caves we lost most of our body hair (with a few exceptions) and it's just a matter of time before we're as bald as a baby's bottom. Embrace the inevitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hope you know that that's not how evolution works.
  • Steve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Shave it all off. At least that leaves you your dignity unlike those who do a ridiculous comb-over or attempt to compensate by growing a pony-tail:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, do it.

It's clearly already bothering you or else you wouldn't have posted this, #1 all over.

You'll never have a bad hair day again.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I hope you know that that's not how evolution works.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah just some environmental adaptation, part of the much larger picture starting with that first self-replicating molecule that mutated wink.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    just be thankfull you dont have a mullet and leave it at that.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just be glad you don't look like this:
    (Questionably safe for work)
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/sandbox/sasquatch.jpg

edit: Sorry Daz my bad wink.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Jesus H. That could probably do with a link and an NSFW warning.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    That's gunna be me...it's just a matter of time.

-R
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    hey! i think he came through my section of Walmart a week or two ago.. and wearing about that much clothing. EEKS! O.O

some things ive heard/seen..

get a nice nubbed comb and brush your scalp two or three times a day. get some circulation going. if you use a hair dryer, use a lower heat setting or stop using it. user cooler water when showering. eat healthier.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Form me it was stress. But it's back and I'm happy about that.

-R
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    Finasteride, the active ingredient in Propecia is great, and can be got much more cheaply under the brand Proscar. Propecia is a hair product, and Proscar is for prostate issues, and the doses are really different. Proscar has a much higher dose, so you take part-tablets for the equivalent of Propecia doses.

My husband was losing his hair fast, and it's stopped falling out, and actually grown back to where it was a few years before he started taking it. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone, and if you stop taking it your hair falls out again, but we've decided that until he can't be bothered any more and opts to just shave his head he'll keep taking it. It's working well, and is affordable, so long as you don't go for the Propecia brand (very dear), and doesn't appear to have side effects....unless he unknowingly has the prostate from hell.

Then again, if you're losing your hair due to bad scalp condition this is pointless, as this is a prescription drug for male pattern baldness.

If it's scalp condition then the no-hats, scalp massage, improve general health, etc. ideas are good.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Just be glad you don't look like this:
    (Questionably safe for work)
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/sandbox/sasquatch.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, Arsh does.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy, "Use a hair dryer" Bahahahaha
    Ex lives in AZ thats what we call the wind...and it doesnt come with settings...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    On the shaving thing - not everyone suits a bald head. I used to have beautifully conditioned hair two feet long and went from that to practically bald (one eighth of an inch) in one sitting. I just got sick of the constant combing/washing/tying back etc. My hairdresser said I was lucky to have a good head shape (and a nice big scar on the back of my head) but she'd done some that looked like Uncle Fester. Having said that, I've never looked back - no 'bad hair days', better scalp condition (as long as you moisturise), and a handy 'mean' look.

It's up to you Ex, but baldness is definitely an option.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    your good days are yet to come my friend:

2_dennisfranz_sag05.jpg

mg_GeorgeTheTimelessArtOfS.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    be proud fo yuor thinning hair. i am going grey on my facial hair and sideburns, but I actually like it.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    pretty much as soon as my hair started its backwards march , i brought out the handy razor and showed it who was boss, being bald is actualy really nice, lot less hassle
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    At work.. lots of the guys are thinning up top. I wonder if its cuz they are all game developers and get nice amounts of radiation from the duel monitors.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm 22 and my fringe seems to be slowly heading for that v shape. Always had thinner hair. if it comes to it, I say do a bruce willis. Probably won't look quite as cool though :/
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i look cooler!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    don't stress about loosing your hair.. that's just a vicious circle.. loosing hair, stress, loose more hair, stress more.. so it goes..
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    <nitpick> I guess in the circumstances loosing sort of works. its lose though tongue.gif </nitpick>
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    i guess i should toss my two cents in on this subject matter since it affects me as well.
    i started losin the front of my hair... i'm guessing about three years ago.. i blame college or something...
    it's kind of wierd to be losing hair at 24, but whatever. i've considered hair transplants since my hair's plenty think all over the rest of my head, but that's a nicety for the next long while that i won't be able to afford. It's also wierd since there's no record of hair loss or baldness on either side of the family for at least a few generations..
    i laugh cause i have a cowlick on the front of my hair that used to give my a 'wave' look that i was well known for, but now the hair flows backwards..
  • Ruz
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha I used to have chocolate colored curly hair and thick brows and oh did the Chics flirt. Now it is bye bye and now even my brows are turning gray!!!!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad I shave my head... less worries about balding even if i'm a decade away from worrying if at all