Home General Discussion

Metroid Prime

Keg
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Keg polycounter lvl 18
Is it just me or are the controls just horrible? got a cube a few months back with metroid prime, but havn't gotten around to playing it cause of zelda, tales of symphonia and such until recently. been trying to play it, but the controls are just making it horrible for me to even navigate the levels. also jumping puzzles just don't seem right in first person shooters and if prime is anything like other metroid games there will be a fair bit of jumping about.

Anyone have suggestions about if it's worth continuing to play if I can't stand the controls?

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    they're funky, for sure, and there might be more elegants solutions most certainly, but you'll get over it. i hated the controls to start with as well but they make it work, the game is worth getting past the control issues.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't like the controls now, you might as well start playing something else. smile.gif

It's probably the number one complaint I hear from a lot of people about the Prime games: the controls. Some people adapt, some don't. I guess you just have to be in the mindset that it doesn't play like a typical console fps (dual analog contols). You'll have to use the shoulder buttons quite often, the lock-on is especially useful for combat. And remember, when you jump, the camera automatically pitches downwards to show you the ground you're about to land on; don't try to fight the camera shift. Jumping should feel pretty natural after some practice.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    They wanted the player to feel more like they were a person trapped inside a cumbersome 300 lb space suit and not a ninja in disguise.

Personally I really dug them after getting used to it. Thought it was a refreshing break from the norm.

Personal taste I guess.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hated them.

damn Nintendo and their inability to give you options for inverting your stick axis.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i found that they're quite intuitive once you get the hang of them.. hoenstly, i picked them up right away..

it's more of an auto aiming thing.. whiiicchh well.. i suppose sucks, but you dont get a mouse frown.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, Metroid Prime 2 might be the only FPS with a multiplayer mode that comes with both an aimbot and wallhack tongue.gif.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
    personally i thought they were great. they took a bit of getting sued to, but in the end i found them far more intuitive than dual analog, which often needs a fair bit of co-ordination to manover seemlessly. at least for the type of game that MP is anyway, i wouldn't want to use it playing a fast paced FPS, which is exactly why the controls i MP work - MP is not a FPS, it's far more of an adventure game, and the controls are tuned to that. it's not about circle strafing and headshots (which is what dual analog is tailer for), but moving around the world.
    combat is not about you skill in accuratly hitting the target, but learning thei patterns, avoiding there attacks, and attacking at the right opening - simular, but played out quite differently to a FPS. again, the controls are suited to MPs game mechanics, not a standard FPS, so they work brilliantly within the context of the game.

as for jumping - MP has the best jumping puzzels in a first person game, though considering most other games such, that's not hard. the controls make jumping easy, since the jump botton is right on the controler face and not some awkward sholder or somwhere where you have to let go of one of the sticks (thus limiting you ability to move accuratly - a chief reason most console FPS's suck at jumping in my oppinion). secondly, the game's camera seems to tilt and lead in such a way that it makes aiming and landing accuraly easy. third, you can adjust your movement at any time during the jump to hit your mark. and fourth, you soon get the space jump, which allows you to ake a second jump i the air, essentially taking any remaining difficulty out of jumping (and there are very few juping puzzels before you get the space jump boots, and none are very difficult, so clearly the devs were aware of this). thus the only difficulty in jumping comes in hitting small or moving platforms. none of thes jumps are irritating, they are challenging and fun, becuase the jump mechanics are a breeze to use!
    in fact there was only once jump puzzel that anoyed me, and that was becuase if you missed a jump you would end up right down the botto of a very tall room, and have to work your way back up again (and the hardest two jumpes were the last ones), other than that - no complaints on jumping in MP.

ok, that ight sound like unconditional praise of Metroid Prime's movement and jump systems. sorry, but that's just my honest oppinion of them. simply, i found them easy and intuitive to use. it took me a bit to pick up the controls the first time i played, but after maybe half an hour or so - no problem!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The jumps in MP are a lot easier because of level design: Platforms are pretty big and the gaps you have to jump are almost always equal your normal jump distance so moving forward and pressing jump will usually make it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I just recently bought the game from a bargain bin. The controls are hard to use, but I'm getting use to them quickly. The way they're setup for interaction within the levels is much easier for me than playing a generic console FPS like Halo.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apropos bargain bin, the game goes with a GC for 50 Euros here! I mean, fuck, if you don't have a Cube yet, that's dirt cheap!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i didn't really mind the controls in Prime, it was the overall game i wasn't that i didn't like that much. susp.gif