Home General Discussion

"Mods you would like to see" article

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
More post-hot-coffee crap from the media.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8796394/

Really not that funny at all. And the suggested ideas suck.
I assumed the article would defend the mod community. Along the lines of "it is quite possible for mods to do great things for the game industry." But, what example would they give towards that arguement? They also forgot that many game mods come from hobbyist, and not the developers. It seems the message behind it is, get off your ass and get a job.

Imagine if you were asked by a reporter "what acheivements have been made, or could be created by this growing mod community? What's the point of it all? Is it safe to introduce to young game fans? Is it educational for them?" Confused old people want to know.

As this is a mod community forum, what are some great ideas for a mod for any currently released PC game, new or old? What are some that have already been released? Just as a response to the dumb ideas presented in the article.

Replies

• hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    EDGE magazine, one of the most highly respected "unbiased" mags in the UK, what has been going for fucking donkeys years, didn't bring up online gaming and mods untill around 2003/4ish. This, coming from practicaly the BIBLE of mags abut gaming.

Basically, since '95/96 when mods and online gaming really caught the geek nation (read: the majority of us), not much has changed. Sure a few thousand more are into it, however it fails to meet the public eye.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i would like to see more mods focus on gameplay and fun (and possibly originality) rather than another CS/UT/Q3 clone.

Atm ALOT of mods seems to be developed by people who think the "real" developers are their heroes and idols and just want to copy their work into their own mod. I dont want to see another MOH:source or blabla reborn etc.