Home General Discussion

Can some help me plz?

FEMTO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
Hi all,

Firstly, I am not too sure where to post this. So if this is the wrong place forgive me plz! But I am in desperate need of help!

Anyway, I seem to be having a problem! I just installed XP on my computer. For some reason each time I shut down, it goes thought the process of shutting down, however, a message then comes up saying, “it is now safe to turn of your computer” so I press the on/off switch but nothing happens! The only way I can turn the computer off is by unplugging! Why is this doing that? I am sure there is something that needs to be unchecked to allow the computer to turn of automatically!

Does anybody know?

Thanks if you can help me out, and if not thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    did you install a clean windows xp or install it over another operating system? What operating system did you use before on this machine? Can you turn the computer on from that button?
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    I installed it over Windows 98. But I reformatted the drive. So that should not be a problem. Yes i can turn on the machine from that button. It is loading up fine and stuff, but not closing down properly for some reason.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you try holding the power switch for about 7 seconds?

Most computers are like that to prevent accidental turn-offs.

Incidentally, mine does the same thing. No biggie to me though.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It's usually four seconds.

Somehow Windows thinks you have no ATX system, try phoning up their tech support or look in one of those Windows tuning forums, they probably know how to make Windows recognize your ATX PSU.

Or you have disabled software power control in your BIOS.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    did you try holding the power switch for about 7 seconds?

Most computers are like that to prevent accidental turn-offs.

Incidentally, mine does the same thing. No biggie to me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you are correct! All I had to do was keep the button pressed in. But the thing I find weird is that why would the system do that now when it was shutting down normally before?

Anyway, I can live with that I suppose. And really appreciate your help guys. Thanks a lot.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to look into that now. Since I remember playing around in the BIOS before installation. However, the only thing I changed was the boot sequence from CD-ROM.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I happen to get this same problem with my p2 233 after I installed 2000 over it's WinME as an upgrade (not seperate install), odd
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I look around and I can’t see that option you talk off. Anyway, here is what I can see in my BIOS. Can you spot something wrong?

Power management setup

ACPI function: disabled
    Power management: user define
    PM control by APM: yes
    Video off after: suspend
    Video off method: V/H Sync and blank
    Modem use IRO: NA
    PWR button override: instant off
    HDD power down: disable
    Dose mode: disable
    Suspend mode: disable

**PM events**

VGA: off
    LPT + COM: LPT/COM
    HDD +FDD: on
    PCI master: off
    PWR on by LAN/Ring: disabled
    PWR on by alarm: disabled

Again many thanks!
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I happen to get this same problem with my p2 233 after I installed 2000 over it's WinME as an upgrade (not seperate install), odd

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny enough the machine I installed XP on is a Pentium 2 machine too. I think there is a connection in this problem because on my other newer machine I have never had a problem like this.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I've had this happen on just about every computer I've installed XP onto lately. Here's the fix: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810903
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've had this happen on just about every computer I've installed XP onto lately. Here's the fix: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810903

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks dude I’ll give that a shot!
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    I am experiencing another problem on that same machine! For some reason when I open my CD-Rom drive it keeps opening and closing. It just keeps doing this continually and the only way for me to stop it is by hold onto it and then pressing the button to close it! Sorry to bother you people with my problems but I am honestly not doing anything for such errors to occur.

Thanks again!!!!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the opening mechanism's collision detector is broken, the drive thinks there's something in the way and it has to reverse direction so it won't damage anything.