Home General Discussion

Boot up problem !

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fuse polycounter lvl 18
i was doing a routine dustout/wire management on my brothers case, let's just say he's not very technology literate.

anyway after a cleanup he booted it up and windows wouldnt boot. An error shows up... Could it be a damaged HD ? although i am quite careful with components and i would be suprised if i damanged anything. Could it be a virus? i wouldnt be surprised, my brother claims his computer is getting slow and full of problems but he's not good at maintaining a virus free system.

It's a sempron with stock hsf
Asus A7v600 mobo
Sapphire 9600xt
Maxtor 40gig ata

a picture is worth a thousand words

error.JPG

thanks in advance smile.gif

Replies

• sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Boot off of a Windows XP disk, go into the recovery console, and type chkdsk /r, that usually fixes it.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    well i narrowed it down so far

If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps:
    1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
    2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
    5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
    6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    314058 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/EN-US/) Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
    If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.

any more input? like i said i wouldnt be surprised if it was some virus
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It basically means that your disc is damaged somehow. Whether thats corrupted files that are needed in order to boot up or something else, who knows. The instructions you just wrote down yourself are probably the only thing you can do.

I had this happen to me once, dont think I was able to fix it and eventually formatted the drive. I dont remember if I was able to transfer any of the data to my other drive... it was a while ago.

Anyways, its possible a virus caused this, or it could just be an old HD in its death throes.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Overheat, your incase processor fan must be very dusty or not strong enough, this is Ram/heat related.

I had the same problem 3 or 4 years ago, at random time during either booting or playing my computer would show me this screen. A new casefan solved this one.

Good luck.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    couldnt be .. this rig is only a year old ..

chenming case with 2 exhaust fans and 1 intake window fan.

couldnt be an old hd either, it's only a year old ..
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, it's no wonder you have to do this!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pull / put back the HHD IDE wires. It could be simple as that
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Overheat, your incase processor fan must be very dusty or not strong enough, this is Ram/heat related.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, overheating would cause several problems, it wouldn't cause bad sectors.

So did you actually try the chkdsk?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, true at the moment i posted i didnt see Fuse's post, thats why i mentioned to play around the HHD cables
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    it could be the hard drive, i bought a new one recently that was giving a similar error, including the 0xC0000032, replaced it and comp worked fine.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Run this on your Maxtor before replacing it: http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor...;downloadID=113

Chances are this is a cabling issue since you just did a system cleaning/re-configuration. Unless you were a bad boy and weren't grounded properly while being inside your machine and hosed your drive or controller :\
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, yes, Maxtor... I missed that in your post. Maxtor is notorious for having harddrives that die if you look at them. Never buy Maxtor.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys, i am kind of leaning towards a virus here... He just told me that his computer used to just restart and turn off on random, I am not sure it's a heating problem because he has plenty of air moving around. He did say he had a lot of viruses on his system.

Physical damage is possible too, we were moving the furniture around that day when i was cleaning out his computer.

I replaced with IDE cables with another set that works, it had no effect.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    When exactly does it do this? During boot, or while using windows? (Does Windows ever come up)

Sounds like it can't mount your C drive and since you said you tried restoring the original cables, then I guess software is your next step.

Actually, did you reconfigure the drives? (ie; did you add a drive to a cable, or change a hdd from master to slave)
    If you have the hard drive sharing a cable with a CDROM drive, sometimes computers don't like that. Also, if the hard drive is set to cable select (CS), then you may have it on the wrong plug on the cable.

If none of those configuration suggestions help, then try booting into the recovery console using the Windows CD and type fixmbr at the command prompt. There are several virii going around right now that attack the boot sector. Fixmbr will restore the original boot sector. This may not work though if the computer isn't seeing the C drive anymore.

If that's the case, you may want to try typing fdisk and see if the C drive appears as a drive.

Sounds to me like you're probably better off reformating that hard drive to make sure he doesn't have any more viruses, but I'm sure he's got items on it that he doesn't want to lose wink.gif
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Bah. We have less than 1% of our in-warranty drives fail. It's usually closer to .05%
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    thanks again guys...

problem occures shortly after a windows XP logo, i will try the suggested microsoft solution but most likely i am going to have to reformat. it's not a big deal he doesnt have anything important on it. game and anime..

i am just hoping it's not a physical damage of the internal components.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    So, did you try the chkdsk? That almost always fixes it
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I've been getting that type of issues on my comp for a year or so, except for the random turn off . Tried everything, including low level formatting of the HDD (is that called this way again?) and fixmbr.

I ve reinstalled a few times and nothing changed.

It happens on startup, but not all the times. When it does, I usually resest manually, boot in safe mode (which always works for some reason), then soft restart, and it boots up with no problem.

My only workaround is : once I am finally able to be in Windows, I wont turn off my comp the classic way, I use the sleep mode that actually turns off the comp completely (dont know the english name for that). When I fire up the comp again the next day, it boots up blazing fast, and the stop errot never occurs.

Just a workaround tho...
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I use the sleep mode that actually turns off the comp completely (dont know the english name for that).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's called "Hibernate".