Home General Discussion

Psychonauts Postmortem

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Makes for some good reading. Game still hasn't hit the shelves here yet.

http://gamedeveloper.texterity.com/gamedeveloper/200508/?sub_id=EA8nZpiirzrke&cookies=1

Replies

• Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is a restricted site. In order to access this magazine, you must enable cookies on your browser.

To Enable Cookies on Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x:

* From the Tools menu, select Internet Options
    * Click on the Privacy tab
    * In the Web Sites section, click the Edit button
    * Enter texterity.com into the allowed domains list, and set it to "Always allow"
    * Click OK

[/ QUOTE ]

No
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, WTF? Why should we allow such a site to place cookies? There is NO reason to place cookies for reading some article. Thanks but I prefer my human rights unviolated.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, like 72 session cookies and 26 domain cookies, wtf?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The Game Developer mag just came in the mail that has the postmortem in it. Pretty good one to pickup.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Good article. Nice to be able to read the magazine in its original format online. Too bad Psychonauts hasn't sold well, seems like the studio might go under after all that faithful effort.

Ummm, last I looked, internet cookies weren't covered under most human rights. Do you guys spend nights huddled under your covers, skeered of marketing spooks?

/jzero
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Privacy is covered under human rights, or at least the human rights section of the german constitution.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    OMG HAX!
    cookhax.jpg

(ie, firefox, opera)

Calm down, people.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I can barely read that..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Do you guys spend nights huddled under your covers, skeered of marketing spooks?

/jzero

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! It'd be less funny if I didn't actually get that mental picture everytime these guys post.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was a really great article (read it in the mag today). Though I have checked out the texterity thing before, and I thought it was pretty cool... a nice repro of the mag, zoomable, readable.

Anyhow, man, all the crap they had to go through to make this game... crappy digs, dead crack fiends, rats, sewage influx, publisher crap, hell hours, 4 1/2 years.

Tim Schafer is a really funny guy though, probably fun to work with. Met him once at Lucas Arts a long time ago. Sounds like his team really came together. Best of times/worst of times and all that. And the game is really pretty.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Actually from the rumors I've heard and the underpinnings of that article, I think Tim Shafer sounds like a nightmare to work for. Direct disagreement lead to the entire level design staff leaving? I know that producer tried to put a pretty spin on it, but it basically sounded like he was a dick and tried to use the rest of the team as human etch-a-sketch's to bring his vision to life.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    ok, now i'm curious. i was wondering why there weren't any level designers in the credits.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tim Shafer sounds like a nightmare to work for

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, could be, though I'd guess anyone with that much responsibility and an unwillingness to delegate would become a difficult person to work with. I never worked with the guy so I couldn't say.

But it does sound like there were some serious communication problems going on. "...all but one of the level designers were let go." Reading between the lines it sounds more like they left on their own rather than being fired.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    and suprisingly the game had someof the best level design i have seen in years.. except for the last level.. it was 3 pounds of ass in a 1 pound bag,

i imagine it would be a pain to work for,, just like if you watch any film documentrys with the great directors, they are all hard to work for because they demand things to be done their way, which is why their work turns out as art.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

i imagine it would be a pain to work for,, just like if you watch any film documentrys with the great directors, they are all hard to work for because they demand things to be done their way, which is why their work turns out as art.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, or like total crapp.;)