Home General Discussion

"The Economist" Magazine, may "get it" .

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
The Economist looks at the flap over GTA:SA, and a longer view, and thinks that Games are much like Rock & Roll

http://economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=4246109

Scott

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Great read. Thanks scott. I really like the writer.

[ QUOTE ]
    In June, Senator Charles Schumer held a press conference to draw attention to the M-rated game “25 to Life”, in which players take the role of a policeman or a gangster. “Little Johnny should be learning how to read, not how to kill cops,” he declared. True, but little Johnny should not be smoking, drinking alcohol or watching Quentin Tarantino movies either. Just as there are rules to try to keep these things out of little Johnny's hands, there are rules for video games too. Political opportunism is part of the explanation for this double standard: many of gaming's critics in America are Democrats playing to the centre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finaly... I'm glad it accualy got published. =p
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    ding ding ding!
    I think we have a winner. Tell him what they've won!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    many of gaming's critics in America are Democrats playing to the centre.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant deny it, just realize that real left democrats had better things to worry about. Like Helath care of Social Security.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    a.k.a the people bitching about games are old cranks who have no idea what the hell they are talking about
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Good read, all true and sensibly written!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, just today I found out that my dad wrote his final exam about youth violence caused by the media, back then the hot topic was Disney and Looney Tunes.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    "Once the young are old, and the old are dead, games will be regarded as just another medium and the debate will have moved on."

So for us... it's just a waiting game...
    come on you whiney old farts, die already!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    excellent article that succinctly summarized much of what i've thought true about current culture and games, that it's primarily a generational gap. thanks for the link Scott!