Home General Discussion

Good Digital Cameras?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
I currently have a 2 megapixel Fuji Film, and have had this for the last 3 years. So, I'm in the market for a new Digital camera. Probably something with 4 Megapixels, as they're not too exspensive and can take some nice clear pictures. Though what brand would you suggest?

Replies

• TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I have a Canon. I like it lots.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I have what is basically the 300D, though it was marketed as the Digital Rebel over here.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Olympus makes nice 4 megapix cameras,small and compact too
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    hp 945 5megapix
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Rite now i have a 3.2 megapixel canon powershot S1 IS with a 10x optical zoom, and let me telly you, dont be fooled by megapixel count. I was a bit worried when i baught it but after playing around for a while i've come to the conclusion that its not the MP but the zoom. I've done tons of texture gathering with it without problems and i also use it for everyday ocasions without problems. I'm usually able to zoom in at least 3x in photoshop before noticing a grain

Here are a few shots I took yesterday morning with a 3x zoom turned on (sorry, photobucket resizes, but you can get a good idea of the clarity, the original sizes were 1536x2048)

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

resize.jpg

Unfortuanately i dont have any moving shots handy but let me tell you, its impossible to get a blur without having to seriously mess with the camera.
    If your still looking for a higher megapixel count then there's an upgraded version, the Powershot S2 IS which has a 12x optical zoom and 5.0 megapixels
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Buy a Pentax.
    They are fair with price and what their camaras can. I personally own a analouge pentax, and its great.

I trust in this brand, just because nobody knows them really and everybody pays a shitload of money for "canon" or "olympus"...ztztz
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I love the Kodak DX7590 that I just bought. It's a 5 Megapixel camera and you can pick it up on Ebay, new, for about $300. I'm not sure if that's what you would consider inexpensive though :/

There is a newer version call the z740 that I would suggest. I was debating between the 2 and I bought the 7590 because of a package that was offered on Ebay. But I think the 740 allows you to use regular AA batteries (or their rechargable battery). Mine only uses the specialty rechargable battery that it comes with. I'd like to have the AA battery option in case I need power quickly.

They both have a 10X optical zoom and an addition 3X or 5X digital zoom (I think the 740 has a 5X, mine has 3X). There are plenty of features for controlling aperture and shutter speed. It also is threaded for an adapter, which allows you to add lens like a telephoto and wide angle lens, along with filters. That is if you want to get more extreme with the camera. It also works great just as a point and shoot though.

I highly suggest checking out http://www.steves-digicams.com for any camera you are considering. He has sample photos and reviews for most digital cameras. I almost bought an olympus until I saw his sample photos from the camera wink.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Canon S45. Couldn't be happier.
  • Redlemons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redlemons polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a Canon IXUS 40. I don't know much about cameras and nor do I care - it's 4.0 megapixels and the quality seems fine. It's light as anything, it's tiny and it's bloody simple to use and the video with sound feature is handy if you've got a large enough memory card mine is 256mb).

These might be quite standard features on cameras for all I know. I looked up a few reviews and they appear to be good. I've got it, and I like it, so I'd recommend it smile.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for that link Notman!
    Right now Pentaxes are looking really good. They also seem to be a very reputable company, even if they don't get a lot of publicity. Canons, they can get a bit pricey, I'm looking for something in the $100-$200 range.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    I bought a Pentax Optio S4 and I have to say that I'm less that impressed with it. I fact I tried to take it back. and the guy ref. me to the pentax office in Mississagua and -get this- they guy at Pentax said that 'I should not have bought it' it is of poor quality. (Thanks!) Basically what they did is force a 3Meg CCD to act like a 4Meg one. The pics have a lot of pixelations and artifacts. Even photos done in full sun were crappy.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steves-digicams is a cool site, thanks for that link!

The "Owner Opinions" section on the dpreview site really helped me when I was picking out a cam a year ago. Helped to see the range of potential problems for a specific model.