Home General Discussion

Project Offset

Keg
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Keg polycounter lvl 18
This is just... wow... Impressive for three people working on it.

http://www.projectoffset.com/technology.html

and the videos to download:

http://www.projectoffset.com/downloads.html

Replies

• KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm pretty sure this has been posted here before, and yes, it is definitely impressive for three people. If I remember correctly, they also developed the engine that they're using (I don't feel like going back and reading).
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sure it was posted too, but a new video came out today. And yes it looks like they developed the engine and editing tools too. the shader editor looks nice, similar to xsi's or maya's shader view.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Just goes to show that such a small group of tallented individuals can still create something very big. smile.gif

Very impressive. smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, the sneak peek #2 really kicked ass. Cant wait till they get some funding and can hire some more people.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    So, how long till Epic buys them out?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    yeah these guys are doing some really amazing shit. It's kinda cool to see true motion blur in a game. They also seem to have some really nice lighting going on without overblooming. I noticed one of the guys is from S2, who did savage, so it's kinda not suprising these guys are turning out stuff like this.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Funny KDR I was thinking the same thing ...Epic will be the EA of game engines wink.gifProbebly one the coolest thing I have seen since the first time I seen the Half life 2 trailers ...can't wait to see this finished !
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This engine is fricken amazing. Hat's off to those guys!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know the sad thing is that this just shows how hard it is to get a game published . I mean great art and technology and yet they are searching for funding/publisher . Just goes to show that trying to develop a game outside a publisher is nearly hopeless . I forsee these guys getting a publisher though or bought out it's just to good to fail completly.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool - this is very indspiring stuff. Looks like a really dedicated and talented team right there.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    that depends pogonip. There is a whole nother genre in casual and online games. But yea given the scope of this project and the platforms intended. They have an uphill battle.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    With the acclaim that Savage received, I wouldn't have thought that the core team would have trouble finding a publisher. Though I guess the project could have done horribly financially, and I wouldn't know the difference.

Regardless, Savage was an awesome game, and it's great to see these guys come back with something even better.
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    I see real time rendering.. nothing more.

quit creaming your panties. When they show off their physics, collision handeling, animation system, fx system, and lastly the GAME AND LEVEL design. Then you can let your jaws drop.

So 3 people for a rendering demo with a little bit of animation is about right. I should hope it wouldn't take more :|

I hope they get a team though, that would be cool. So they can make they're First "Epic" Fantasy FPS!!! I fucking hate marketing BS.. even more when it comes from the developer.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    What modern engine can't put only 2 characters in a very small controlled environment and make them look absolutely amazing in realtime. It’s a very different story when it comes to making a whole game. I’m sure you could make something look similar with the HL2 engine, if you could spend a whole levels texture and poly budget on a few objects and characters.
    That being said, the lighting and motion blur look great. Big props to such a small team. Impressive, but not holding my breath for the next big thing. motion blur doesn’t sell a game.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't speak for anyone else but outside of Gears of War and Unreal 7 this looked more impressive then any other next-gen game that I have seen that is actually showing in game footage ...personaly I think it's very impressive that 3 guys can make a game demo like that. There are for example lots of pro artists at this board and yet I don't see anyone trying to do something like this spare time or otherwise ..but I bet most pros have a game they would love to design and work on don't we all ? It's impressive to me that they took the next step.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tech looks real nice, but the enviroments are far from impressive. Anyone can take a few character models and make them look great.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Watch the first sneak peek - it shows more levels and characters.

Meh, I was overly impressed.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    The tech looks real nice, but the enviroments are far from impressive. Anyone can take a few character models and make them look great.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoah, wait, since when? Anyone? Why do so many games look crap then? Even with team sizes ten times what these guys had?

Personally I thought it was impressive visually, and I think it'd be fun to play if the game play is anything like the video.

I'm more impressed by this being done by a small group of people than some of the turdfests I've seen production houses making lately.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I've been keeping my eye on this project, very impressive. Just now watching the new video. The dragon flying by was very cool. The editor looks very similar to xsi's rendertree. Can't wait to play it, and I would love to work on a small team project similar to this. Environments are great. And the characters look amazing, probably the best I've seen.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    I think it kicks ass. It kinda reminded me of LOTR a bit smile.gif Very impressive work.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyone can take a few character models and make them look great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you?

...anyway, yeah, the technology looks nice. I like every particle casting a shadow, and everything in the world being motion-blurred.

I agree the environments in that video looked a little dull though. The guy who gets shot with an arrow doesn't look to great either, and his death animation seems to be an animation rather than rag-doll (although, in the June2005 video, the archer falls off the roof with what looks like rag-doll)...
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would'nt imagine that the game has anywhere near finished physics system with just the one programer . I think the enviros in the video looked good for what they were ...I mean this is a tech demo to get funding right ? Im sure once they get some funding and can hire some senior enviro artists and enviro artists it will start looking better ...I still don't think they can touch the Unreal Engine 3 though but maybe these guys will give oppertunity to those developers who can't afford the Highly pricey Unreal 3 engine ,
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think these videos are very impressive and these guys have a lot going for them. Hopefully they can get some funding and get a game going.

I agree some aspects of the environment art was a little weak, but it's just a demo really.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    That is some crazy azz sh!t. Really stunning work.