Home General Discussion

Got a Job

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
After many long years of work and effort i finally got my first real game job,ill be doing environments for next gen games at Streamline studios and i will be moving from Houston Texas to the Netherlands shortly to begin.

2 things i wanted to do all my life

1. work making games
2. living abroad

im very excited

One polycounter id like to personally thank is Pak,who took many hours after work to help me improve and focus my abilities in a direction which would help me get a job. Thanx man.

when you come up here to visit first round is on me

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations!!!! Glad to hear it, man.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats man, moving to the Netherlands eh? Quite a contrast, should be exciting. Keep in touch, m'kay?
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    that's awesome, congrats.

And big ups to having the balls to move out of the country.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats man! Pretty cool first gig I'd say.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you guys, big reason i applied is because ive dreamed of travelling around europe,trying the food,wine,woman and beer.
    Going too all the wonderful museums too.

This might be the only chance i get to do this in my life so despite a little anxiousness im going to do it, id rather try it and fail instead of regretting never trying at all.

Im young unmarrired and have no kids so this may be my only chance i ever get.

EDIT: ill be living in the City of Amsterdam or the small town the studio is located in 12 miles north of amsterdam
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey nice one man
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    sweeeee! congrats man! Have fun at your new job and in your new surroundings.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    congrats dude!
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Be warned Netherlands has a spooky thing called SNOW!!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Man you don't know how much im happy for you, this is great news.

WANG!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

snow is fine for me,like the mighty walrus i have built a layer of fat around my body which will keep me warm from the cold slowly built over time by the hunting of pizza,big macs and nectar from the hopps and barley plant.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

snow is fine for me,like the mighty walrus i have built a layer of fat around my body which will keep me warm from the cold slowly built over time by the hunting of pizza,big macs and nectar from the hopps and barley plant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congrats! You've got more balls than I've got to start a new life in a foreign country.

However, beware. I hear that in eupore people with any body fat are seen as a rarity and are often times caged for the viewing public's amusement. Keep your eyes open for any nefarious looking netherlandish netherlander. wink.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well done, hope you enjoy.
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome man.. When you get there, ask for somebody called Zazi and tell him klein says hello. He will know. =)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, someone from the states coming to holland for a gamejob?
    Oh, the irony.
    Congratulations, though! It's just that i hate you for taking one out of the available two gamingjobs in holland away from me!
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Nice dude smile.gif I'm so impressed with how fast you got up-to-speed and landed this gig. inspiring dude smile.gif

Send me a hot blonde for xmas :P

-R
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that is awesome never heard of anyone going from USA to over seas !! Only the other way around ...good work !
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    bad ass! congratz! wow people are gettin jobs all over the place!
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow that is awesome never heard of anyone going from USA to over seas !! Only the other way around ...good work !

[/ QUOTE ]

Well being an American citizen i can go there try it out and if it doesnt go as well i can always return back with no issues, ive thought alot about this job and have back ups, my brother lives in Austin and has a spare room. If all goes bad (which i hope it wont) i can go live with him there find work to pay him rent and look for game jobs in the area.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    filthy fucking foreigners, coming to steal our jobs!
    Where will you be living?
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    Big ups dude laugh.gif

Here's to a brief and fun case of culture-shock wink.gif
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    congrats, that is a great job but long workinghours.

Don't go to crazy in Amsterdam and it doesn't really snow in the netherlands.
    Go to the Heiniken brewery, the sex museeum, the Rijek museeum, van G. museeum (allthough the quew is endless) ...

Don't somke to much dope and don't drink to much beer.

laugh.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    wow,you got balls.

1 moving from texas to netherlands
    2 working for streamline... uh uh long working hours...

forget all the nice service you had in the US, no cheap gasoline, no internet within 2 hours, no money, no good music (techno, mostly).

Sure, it will be fun smile.gif congrats from me to you and your balls.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i pray to god you're being sarcastic, shimmer.
    oh, how i pray.

the internet thing is true, though. allthough it's nowhere near as bad as in belgium, where most providers have ridiculous download-limits.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    i'm delighted for you - not only getting a job, but getting one abroad like you had said on several occasions that you wanted to.

And while you are there, you've got a great opportunity to travel - rail travel is generally cheap in europe (not in the UK though, its a rip off).
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats JO240 smile.gif
    Don`t be put off by some of the discouragement `some` people have displayed here, it`s a case of swings and roundabouts, true that you will have to give yourself a little time to adjust to the cost of living in relation to your salary, but if you feel that you are getting overworked, just say so. European Court of Law, favours the employee and a lot of that chuff in industry contracts about `you will work all the hours god sends`, IS just a load of chuff. I very much doubt there`s an employer dumb enough in europe to challenge that.
    Besides all that... Enjoy!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats, you're sure to have a great time.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone going to Europe from the US for a gaming gig. Seems like everyone I know in the biz is trying to get to the US or Asia.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    woo hool 420...!!!
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    swell job, have a great time!
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    Congradulations!

Maybe we could set up a meeting for the people in NL who are on here sometime?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Im not really concerned with the cost of living issues, the extra money ill likely be using is the money i will no longer be using for car and transportation.

Living here is cheaper but i spend 300USD a month on car payment, 110ish a month on insurance, 45 or so weekly on gas,33 weekly on tolls. with a drive totaling 1 hour to and 1 hour from work daily.

over there i will have no car and rely on public transportation,walking and maybe a bike

as for working long hours its something i am not afraid to do, ive done it before in previous non game related 3d gigs.

language and getting used to it all will be a challenge but why not, this will likely be one of the few if not the only chance i get to see alot of the sights ive wanted to see.

as for the discouraging remarks,never been an issue, when parents told me playing video games will get me nowhere i didnt pay attention, when people told me i wouldnt make it going to school for 3d animation i still pushed on and when people tried to get me to drop all the work i have done since i graduated from college to make it as a 3d artist i never quit.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Go go JO420!
    See you soon smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "1 moving from texas to netherlands
    2 working for streamline... uh uh long working hours..."

Firstly, in response to the posts with an underlying connotation of 'why the hell are you doing it the 'wrong' way around?', when I was at Bullfrog, the workforce was truly international. We had Americans, Canadians, Scandinavians, French, Koreans, and some Brits of course. But perhaps they were the boom years.

But moreover, and I think I can speak with some authority on this since I've worked for the exact same co. on both sides of the Atlantic, in terms of work / life balance, Europeans have it way better figured out than Americans. At EA UK, I never worked weekends, and a late night was considered 10, not 1am like it is here. Here ( and by that I mean the games bizz in CA ) , your entire life is expected of you. It's simply a different corporate culture here than than 'over there' and I for one, miss the old life.

Good luck again Javier. Your tenacity and success in following your dream is commendable.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanx Daz

Isis yeah ill definatly be up to meeting some of you guys from the netherlands.

As move time gets closer im getting more excited,i dropped 100dollars on art supplies yesterday,pens,pencils,brushes etc.

I already have an idea of stuff i wanna see when i go there,who knows what ill get to do but ill try.

Van Gogh Museum
    Anne Frank House
    The louvre (at least thats how i think its spelled)
    Oktoberfest
    London
    Rome
    Paris
    Normandy
    And all the super fun fun stuff to do in Amsterdam wink.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    visit me! I live in Germany, great beer over here, lalalala
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Wow man your super lucky to get a job over seas ..although you earned it ...gonna be so much fun ! * Jeleous * smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats

Time to report your old boss now wink.gif
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    no visit me, I live in Austria, my place is better than shimmer's :P, and we have better beer to wuahahahaha
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like i missed this one..=)
    Anyways. Grattz dude.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    congrats, I assume the Red light district is one of your planned stops in amsterdam?

I so want to do a tour of europe. which could easily take a year for me cause of all the places i'd want to visit. all the little pubs along the way sampling local brew's as I go. Then finish the tour off in germany for oktoberfest.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't even bother. i live in belgium, our beer wins.
    Shimmer: you and me could drag our collective arses over to holland, though.
    What do you say?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    congratulations!
    Congratulations_4.jpg