Home General Discussion

Devil's Rejects

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Saw it Sat at Universal citywalk in Orlando, hot diggity it was an awesome movie that really kicked my ass.

If you hated House of 1000 Corpses you should give this movie a chance it is totally different, it has a gritty 70's feel to it.

there's no Rob Zombie soundtrack, it's all vintage songs from the 70's and earlier. Zombie doesn't pull any of those craptastic video tricks he used in 1000 corpses.

Devils Rejects is like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre while House of 1000 Corpses is more akin to the campy Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome, have been meaning to check this out.

will do soon!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    It's complete shit . I went to see it and not only is it basically the same as one of those torture video released by Al Quada but every single story element is put in just to rush the next horrifically violent scene with no point . Ohh and don't let me get started on the jerky shakey cam in half the movie which almost made me sea sick ...and the horrible editing ..the slow motion scenes that added no effect and made no sense ..I could go on and on but it's not even worth wasting my breath .. it's 100% grade A shit..
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    It's complete shit . I went to see it and not only is it basically the same as one of those torture video released by Al Quada but every single story element is put in just to rush the next horrifically violent scene with no point . Ohh and don't let me get started on the jerky shakey cam in half the movie which almost made me sea sick ...and the horrible editing ..the slow motion scenes that added no effect and made no sense ..I could go on and on but it's not even worth wasting my breath .. it's 100% grade A shit..

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you liked it huh?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shit man, shooting hand held is what added to the 70's feel, none of that purposly shaking the camera NYPD blue style, Rob specificaly told the cameramen to hold the camera as steady as they possibly could. I hate shakycam, I turned Traffic off about 10 minutes into the movie.

I don't see how you could accuse the slow-mo as being pointless, it was appropriate for the drunken party at Charlie's place and it was appropriate for the car drive at the end; everyone was beat to shit and driving in the boiling sun. I can't recall other times slo-mo was used, it didn't really stand out to me, maybe the burning house scene.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    one of you liked it and one didnt, neither of you are actualy wrong, just difrences of opinions, that theres no need to argue over, i have not yet seen the movie, or i would use my enlightened state of movie wisdom to actualy declare factfuly if the movie was good or bad, so untill then we may never know for sure
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha.. brilliant. This piece of shit definitely didn't cost much to make.

should profit whether you like it or not.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    that was stunning. Great acting, great script, great characters. And the soundtrack was a perfect partner.

2 thumbs up from me.

It's just a shame the horror film I wrote is quite similar in many places.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Rick, do you mean "great acting" in a facetious, great-for-a-zombie-flick way, or is there some legitimately good acting in here? I find the latter hard to believe, but might check it out all the same.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meet Pogo, this is one of the most positive member of this board. Dont waste your time if HE didn't like a movie its means YOU wont like too. His opinion is YOUR opinion and so on.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    The only time I ever see his posts is when someone quotes him in complete disgust. i try and space some meaningful contribution to this community inbetween my ego spurts. But nipple clip..errr, pogonip just likes provoking people.

Embrace the ignore feature folks.

-R
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes your both so well loved and adored ...I should be more like you what was I thinking ?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    maybe he doesnt get it...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ignoring someone constantly seems a great way to not confront others. Not have to deal with an opinion thats contrary to your own. Rather childish. Wish it wasn't available on the site. (This isnt only pointed at you Pak)
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe I don't care ball sack..I mean Pak ... lets just ignore each other and move on huh you don't have anything to contribute ever anyways other then your cocky attitude ...I seem to remember just the other day giving you a sort of pat on the back for helping someone get into the industry but lets ignore that because all I do is put people down .. im done with yah bye bye
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adios general discussion
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    children,, just hug and agree to disagree.. its a beautifull world we live in no need messing it up by being tools
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    If there's a online drama you guys better off starting it now because im about to go downstairs and microwave some pop-corn and pizza.

You got 5 mins crazy.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    i thought the movie was ok, the plot was rather weak but the acting,character dialogue and interaction worked well.

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one thing i really did like was the part the cop found,captured and tortured the bad guys, dont recall any horror movie in which the psychos in the movie got the tables turned on them like in that part.

if the movie would have ended with the sheriff killing the 3 of them it would have came off better.

but i saw tiny or whatever his name was killing the cop from a mile away,pretty much when he brought them to the farm i knew tiny was gonna surprise him and kill him.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    pogonip and pak: shut up and stop flirting so much. if you want to have an argument, send nasty emails to each other and make it personal, not this constant gumming up of discussions in a public forum. i love it when people threaten to never talk to someone again or never visit some internet forum again because they never ever make good on the threat. if only!
    see the board title? for general discussions, not for "who can be more of an ass". pak, use the ignore feature if you're so inclined. both of you, please do whatever it takes to restore some semblance of civility in this forum (might i humbly suggest posting more work in our PnP forum), or i will embrace my ability to edit/delete other peoples' posts, folks.

on the actual topic at hand, i have mixed feelings about the Devil's Rejects. part of my reservations stem from the fact that i'm not really familiar at all with any of the 70's grindhouse fair that Zombie is so clearly paying tribute to with the film, and that i'm not all that much of a horror buff generally. so why did i see it at all, especially after not caring to finish all of 1000 corpses?

well, here's a pretty good interview with mr. Zombie:

http://avclub.com/content/node/25219

I went and saw the movie because Zombie clearly loves what he does and takes great care to make his films. they are films that are probably not all that intended for viewers like myself, but i can at the very least appreciate the man's work as a fellow artist.

I think that the Devil's Rejects shows that Zombie is actually a pretty gifted filmmaker who is still honing his craft. Devil's Rejects was well shot, and particularly the first reel or so is very tightly put together and very atmospheric. the music cues are excellent, and he makes what were grotesque cartoon characters in House out to be significantly more believable. But I think he's still got a lot to work on. The script has some inspired passages and some scenes stick in your head for more processing, which I always associate with a good movie, but I thought that the last half of the film didn't make good on rather tantalizing setups. I think a more thoughtful but also more horrifying movie would have kept the killers with the Sullivan family in the hotel for more of the movie, for instance. if the good dialogue bits were expanded too I think Zombie would have had a better film. As it is, it doesn't really seem to make sense what the killers are trying to do; are they really trying to escape? The fatalistic final sequence seems to convey that they didn't really ever intend to get away, they just wanted to keep the fun going for just a little while longer before it ended. I had to laugh when I heard the opening chords of 'Freebird', because it was so cliche... but I think that was Zombie's intent; the rest of the movie has such carefully chosen and effectively used music that I can't help but assume Zombie knew what he was doing by setting the final sequence to Freebird. It makes it quite a bit more comical, a nice wink to the audience.

in the interview i posted, Zombie mentions that he made Rejects in less time and with half the money he had for 1000 corpses, but Rejects is a much better film on all counts i think. That's definitely a testament to his increased skill as a filmmaker. If his next film actually does turn out to be a non-horror project I'll probably go see it, because while invariably I am certainly not the kind of guy that Devil's Rejects is targeted at, I admire the strides he's made artistically and would enjoy seeing him make his way further.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    gauss -that a very good review.

As to the acting being genuinely good, then yes, I beleive that in many case it was. Some people were weak, some were over the top, ans none were oscar winning - but for a slasher movie, it had certainly some of the best I've ever seen, and fo a film in general the acting was good. And it had no teeneage kids in it, which is alwasy a refreshing change.

It felt good to watch a horror that wasn't just lowest common denominator stuff.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    that's not even the review, that's the interview!
    here's their review:
    http://avclub.com/content/node/24941
    and yes, the OAV Club is my favorite smile.gif
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm quite a fan of Rob's work, this movie in particular had some killer lines (excuse the pun) the scripting matched the actors abilites very well and both were excellent. The music was well chosen, very mood setting and perfectly matched with the sets and camerawork which felt unique.

I must say that this movie really did make me despise the murderous family for thier brutal crimes but about half way through their humanity was shown and the togetherness of the family, by the end I felt sad for them. It's very rarely a film can make me feel emotional like that.

My opinion is that this is one of my favourite movies but it's not a horror!! On all counts it is much more accurately described as a drama, action movie, whereas it's predecessor was definately part of the horror genre!
    I hope Mr. Zombie continues to provide such quality work in the future.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WISE FW0M YAW GWAVE!
    ab-rise.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Damn how did you even find this thread? haha
  • lio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lio polycounter lvl 18
    the devil's rejects is a great film... really good soundtrack and very enjoyable to watch.
    i also prefer it way over 1000 corpses... tdr has a lot more style to it and feels more like a road movie kind of thing - i certainly found it very entertaining.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread (or the person preforming the necromancy), considering how long its been down, is one of the Devils Rejects...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    haha justin, I always thought he had a lisp...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Vig wrote: »
    This thread (or the person preforming the necromancy), considering how long its been down, is one of the Devils Rejects...

I might just be ;)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Haha.. it's back from the dead!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Ahem, missed that date... but I love the film so had to reply - Other excuses - it's been a long day with many tormentous moments:poly139:
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message