Home Technical Talk

modeling with wacom pen

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
I was just wondering how many people here model with their wacom pen. I just started strip modeling with just my pen a few days ago and I must say that I'm lovin it. It was kinda awkward at first, but after I mapped my side pen buttons and played around with it for a lil while I got the hang of it.

Honestly, my modeling speed has increased since I started using my pen. I went back to my mouse and I could definately notice how much slower I was goin with it.

Anyway, just wondering if any of you guys do the same or just think I'm nuts. I just thought that I'd go faster, since you use the pen in zbrush and photoshop, why not max as well? when it comes time for texturing you don't have to annoyingly switch between the pen and mouse constantly.

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I map my pen nib to Middle-click, so that when switching between PS and Max I can easily control the viewport pan, rotate and zoom - no mouse needed!

I tried modelling with my wacom a while back, it felt weird though.
  • skrubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop - That's actually why I started using my pen in max... so I could rotate my view without having to always switch to my mouse. I have my pen set up so the the nib is the default 'left click.' For the duo-button on the side I have the lower one set to 'right click' and the upper one set to 'middle click.' its cool just pressing alt and holding the side button on my pen to rotate my view... all I have to do is hover over my tablet and twirl my hand around in the air.
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, your not the only one.
    I've used it since the day I got a wacom tablet.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i've workers with 2 peeps that model with the wacom,, both chicks,,, i've tried to learn,, i bet it would be much better for your wrist than using mouse,, if my wrist keeps hurting i'll probably end up switching,, i'm getting a cintiq in few weeks or less,, may try it with that
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I don't use a mouse at all, and use my wacom for everything including half life 2 and doom 3. In max I have select set to Q and deselect set to spacebar so I don't go unintentionally moving stuff around. I also have contrain to edges and faces set to ctrl + shift E (F) respectively and my wrist doesn't cramp up like it would with a mouse.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    whats a mouse?

I honestly only use my mouse for games.

ironbearxl: how do you use your wacom without it freaking out in hl2 q3 etc?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I use the mouse for navigating windows, but any 2d or 3d package it's wacom all the way.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i'm having to call bullshit on using wacom to play games, unless you know some magic way to make it work,, bewcause i've tried it on several occasions. iff you do have a secret way to make it work thne let me know
  • skrubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried using my wacom in 1st person shoorters and I just couldn't get used to it. It was just way too awkward. I didn't stick with it though. might be interesting doing that with a cintiq though smile.gif And like Rhinokey said... if there's a secret to it, let us know!

Good to know I'm not a weirdo because I use my wacom pen in MAX.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I found the pen akward and with my mouse sitting right there, just haven't gotten my mind around it since i didn't really give it a chance. I may try this though as I now somehow model with a sideways mouse(My main comp's fried and I pulled my secondary mouse around the left side of the keyboard 'teporaraly' and now it just sits the sideways in between my hands while typing and I'm use to it now), and the mouse is halfway broken to boot. If I can cope with that maybe I need to remove my alternatives before I can really grt into this?
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey: Must be set to mouse mode or it won't work properly with some games. Some games place the mouse cursor in the center of the screen every frame and only measure how far it has moved between resets, won't work with a Wacom setting it to another position every time, obviously. It's not much different from playing with a mouse then. I got a tiny Graphire and it controls like ass but I suppose with a larger tablet you can lower the sensitivity to get good results and actually hit a barn.

Currently I'm browsing the web with the Wacom because my mouse is recharging. Works somewhat. I don't like mouse gestures but the right-left click for back is pretty easy to do with the pen (hold the RMB and tap on the tablet) and MMB helps with scrolling.
  • ironbearxl
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Like KDR says, I hit the mouse mode switch, and it helps to turn off acceleration. wink.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Has this got anyone else wondering about mind-controlled interfaces?
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Been modeling without a mouse for 4 years now, in 3ds max and Maya. I've never stuck to Wings cos you can't use your Wacom in it.

I don't think it's the increased speed that matters, altho that's nice, but I also believe using the pen to model keeps the analytical side of your brain from taking over..using a mouse feels like pushing verts, but using the pen feels like art.
  • StrangeFate
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Always used a wacom for modeling, i can't model crap with a rock, i mean, mouse.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    yeah i'm having to call bullshit on using wacom to play games, unless you know some magic way to make it work,, bewcause i've tried it on several occasions. iff you do have a secret way to make it work thne let me know

[/ QUOTE ]It does actually have some interesting results in Battlefield. Helicopters are a particularly amusing one. Get a chopper full of people, get it in the air and then hold the pen on the very edge of the tablet. Wheeeeee.

Another interesting one is using it to clear infantry off your tank by smashing them with the turret. On rare occasions you can even get frags doing this.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    You people are weird! Only 3d I really use my pen for is Zbrush.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    me too, i use the wacom for all.
  • Silva_Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Thats it, you guys got me wondering if I should give they ol'wacom a try for 3d. Till now, I only used my tablet for 2d and zbrushing, but tomorrow, I'll give the wacom a try. One thing I know will piss me off thoughis the whole dual monitor thing. See i got my tablet set to proportionally read one monitor. Proportionally cause its wide screen and one monitor cause the tablet would yeild very wide incorrect results if I didnt set it to ony read the width of one of the monitors Anyone know of a better setting? Cause the way I have it set now, I have to use the mouse anyway to get to the 2nd monitor.

Not to mention I have a 5 button mouse with the thumb button set to "alt" and the ring finger set to "Ctrl" this way I can pan/zoom and rotate the model with one hand. I dont know, I guess Im kinda set in my ways. I will give the tablet a try though.
  • skrubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    coolness... this is more popular then I thought.

silva - I have my pen mapped to just one monitor for photoshop and for everything else I have it set to use the whole display.... it doesn't really affect my use of it.