Home General Discussion

Dungeon Siege 2 Demo!

Sean McBride
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
Hats off to the guys at GPG for this one. I just played the demo and I can say I am absolutely picking this one up. I loved the first one and I've been excited about the second one. Go pickup the demo if you can. (its a HUGE 1.5 gig download but its pretty much worth it i think.) Its on BT, and all the other major file hosting webpages. The game is the next logical step beyond what dungeon siege was. Storyline from what I could tell was pretty good. I just can't get enough of that good old classic hack and slash RPG feeling. cool.gif

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/ds2/

Replies

• Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    I found it boring... ooo.gif
    The hacking was too indifferent, and the story..

Let's just say that the scene with Elfie boy aiming at you just screams of suckitude, and the whole medallion thing is WAY too obvious to make it fun - My bro and I were practically waiting for the blue-haired bugger to give me it! frown.gif

Oh, and graphics-wise... I've seen far better!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, the graphics are a bit of a let down at times. They could have pushed on much further. I know the artists are fully capable of doing better it was just the restrictions they were given to work within.

My point being its good to see a company accualy spend alot of time developing the gameplay and worying about that more than the graphics side of things.

If you played the first one that got boring after a while. The game almost played itself. At times if I had something to do i'd just set my character to follow someone else and come back and hour later and he'd still be playing with my character guarding him.

In the end, i hate hate hate playing an RPG like WoW for hours and hours and just doing one quest. I dont have time for that! It seems like MMO's these days require so much time to play that you HAVE to be either un-employed or a kid in highschool who dosn't study. confused.gif DS2 was a refreshing thing compared to those games.

I really just want to know when/if diablo 3 will ever go into production. Now that bliz north is shut down its not a good sign. >.>
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    what,, screw the demo,, we are all waiting on the dungeon seige movie by uwe bol!

starring Jason Statham
    Mathew Lillard
    Ray Liota
    Burt Reynolds
    John Rhys-Davies
    Ron Pearlman

i'm not kidding
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Can it be worse than the D&D movie?
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can it be worse than the D&D movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Survey says: ABSOLUTELY!!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Uwe Boll must be some kind of alien infiltrator attempting to create a movie so bad its badness will cause the planet to collapse into a singularity. Or just to wipe out our culture.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    before i download, is the combat reflex based like diablo2? rather than time based like guild wars... ive been playing diablo2 through again on a lan with 3 players... and i cant remember having more fun in a multiplayer game for years.

so much depth to the type of characters you can build and what items you can equip them with. plus there are always a ton of monsters to kill, i hate having to search for things to kill smile.gif

has DS2 got anything like this?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, dungeon siege plays more like the diablo hack and slashes. It even has a similar prefix/sufix naming structure for the items. Plenty of enemies to kill. Single player plays a little funny because you controll a party of people but i enjoy the multiplayer a bit more. Only controlling one person. Characters develop through use of a particular class though. If you want to be a ranger, use a bow. If you want to be a warrior, use a sword. The more you use it the better you become with it. New to dungeon siege 2 is the diablo-esque skills. You drop points into class unique skills once you meet the level requirements.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    this sounds promising, downloading smile.gif

Thanks N3o
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the first one was pretty entertaining, if a bit repetative. By the end of the singleplayer I was just carrying on to see the end of it really. I wonder if there will be an actual siege involving a dungeon in this one?
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad some of you are liking it. I came on late to the project, so didn't really work on the game itself that much. I mainly worked on polishing the cinematics. But it's been getting a lot of good feedback, and from what I've played it was pretty fun.

The engine is pretty much the same one they used for DS1, so I think the artists have definitely been able to do a lot with what they had. But it is starting to show it's age at this point. I'm looking forward to our next project where we can start with a new engine and not have to work around so many restraints.

But overall, we've got a great team here at GPG, and it's a great place to work. So everyone go out and buy a copy! smile.gif Especially if you live in Washington and want to work in the industry, support your local game developers. smile.gifsmile.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definantly FatAssasin. smile.gif I could tell it was nearly the same engine that 1 was on but it does look quite a bit better. I'm glad the upper level guys at GPG decided to focus mostly on gameplay. Shaders and skatter functions are great and all... but it comes down to gameplay for me. Just what i had been craving. smile.gif Good work.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I really enjoyed the first one, looking forward to the second smile.gif And I really want to try it multiplayer hehe.

Thumbs up to GPG, and I can only hope of a Dungeon Siege 3 on a next gen engine.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Had a go yesterday, gameplay is really fun, definately think I could get into it. Only thing that horribly jarred with me is the voice acting. Every single voice said to me: 'im just someone reading some lines for some game. meh, pays the bills.' if theres a subtitle option and an option to turn off the voices I'll use it, as they totally broke my immersion.