Home General Discussion

Portfolio format?

Isis' Minion
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
I'm thinking about making myself a portfolio page, to display a variety of my work (2D, 3D, animation, programming, game projects and so on). What would be the best format for such a site? Would simple clean HTML suffice? Maybe PHP? Or Flash that loads from XML files perhaps?

I've been dabbling with the latter for a bit and i got it working. After i got it working i wondered if it would be wise to use it on my site, as not all viewers might have Flash plug-ins installed. Is it safe to assume that they do, at these times?

I know how to build a clean page with HTML, so that wouldn't really be a problem, but i'm willing to learn PHP. Which of the two is better for a relatively simple page?

Here's an example of a page i like (the splash):
http://www.nivbed.com/
It feels like Flash, but it's HTML. Though, what do you guys think about making a page a bit flashy?

Also, what system is easy to update content with? SQL? XML?

I'd like to hear your opinions about this matter.

Replies

• AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Clean and simple. Fast load time and easy to naviage; impress me with your work, not your ability to design a "creative" website. Ideally, thumbnails that link to larger images along with a CV/Resume that is RELEVANT to the game industry (I do not care about the 5 years you spent at Burger King).

Simple HTML with a nice interface should suffice.

[edit]
    Not to say that you couldn't blow me away with a sexy flash site that is quick to load and easy to navigate, however, you definitely do not want to frustrate your potential employer by making him/her wait for your images to load and/or by cluttering / confusing your interface.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    whoops too slow - what he said ^^
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Simple is best. Rorshach, and Tyler Wilson's portfolios are always the ones I suggest.

http://tylersart.com is the the only one i could find atm.

-R
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nivbed doesn't have a usefull site from a recruiters point of view.

I'm a frikkin jack of all trades, but I like the way my site works: http://hawken.dadako.com/skillset.3d.php?page=main
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    http://portfolio-eljo.hku.nl/
    That's an example of a flash portfolio, loading dynamically through XML so it's easy to update with new content. This pretty much matches the idea i have to make my own portfolio site, since he also has other stuff outside graphical art on his site. What i also like is that the pop-ups dont need an additional window, but can remain inside the Flash, which takes out the risk off pop-up blockers.

This page is actually the page that got me thinking about the whole format thing, since i like the way this guy did it (we have to build a portfolio site for a school assignement in the second year...i'm still a freshman but i'd like to get a head start smile.gif ). Is it safe though to assume that the audience does have the Flash plug-in installed? Or is there maybe a way to check for Flash, and if it's not installed, have it load my HTML page?

Is XML parseable in PHP like it is in Flash?

Oh, and i showed Nivbed because i like how he has mouse-overs that load instantly...i am also considering to build a clean HTML with fancy roll-overs like the ones on his page, but more clarity to their function, by adding some text ("gallery", etc)...

Basically, i want to make a page which loads up all the content from the XML file (or some other database), so that i dont have to hack away at the html every time i want to update my content and so that all items are listed in one place, to keep order.