Home General Discussion

F.E.A.R. Scared me shitless

-=Warhead=-
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
-=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
http://www.whatisfear.com/us/

Looks really scarry, i can't wait to get a rush of scaryness in my body! So how many people are going to download it.. it opens up at 1pm EST

http://www.1up.com/do/download?cId=2019511

Theres all the people who want the download right then and there instead of waiting in line

Replies

• -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see everyones already scared enough to touch this post tongue.gif.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I will be downloading it for sures
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    i've done some beta testing for FEAR....me likes. I'll be checking this today for sure.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Waiting in line on 3dgamers... (Yeah, I'm a cheapskate). "Get me some tissue Mum, Dad's drooling again".
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't have to wait in line anymore i found a direct link go for it homie!
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    1up no longer works. Hence waiting in line for me...

NEXT!
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    Why wait inline... there's a torrent available. I'll d/l it when I get home tonight smile.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Try here, worked for me!

http://files.filefront.com/FEAR_Singleplayer_Demo/;3992509;;/fileinfo.html

33% and counting... The comments on Blues News are heaping praise on this (albeit short) demo.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, That was by far the scariest game i have ever played in my entire young life to be. I'm never playing that game again. Until the full version comes out of course, Thats when i settle down.. My hands are still shaking after 30 minutes of the game even after its over.. For the sake of your life do not play this game.. BTW It eats the shit up out of your computer. You do need a highend system.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, the demo managed to thoroughly scare the hell out of me in parts. Can't wait for the full game!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    grabbin the demo... havent kept up much on this game.. we shall see..
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    my system sucks, so can anyone tell me how it compares to Undying and System Shock 2 in terms of scarniness without hyping off the ads directly so I can go upgrade to get my moneys worth?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    The performance is horrific on my (work)machine. I've got a pretty fast Alienware(3.4ghz Intel EE, 2gb fast ram, SATA raid array HD) with a slightly older video card (Geforce FX5950 Ultra) and at 1024x768 with most of the options at medium, I get like, 2 fps.

wtf? My direct X & drivers are all up to date...
    Auto detect feature says my computer is "high end" yet sets the rez to 640x480 and turns off many features, and reduces others to "minimal" settings.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    works fine for me. i love it thus far.

-R
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked how the bad guys looked, lots of guns lying around, and plenty of mayhem in this (wish it were longer) demo.
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The performance is horrific on my (work)machine. I've got a pretty fast Alienware(3.4ghz Intel EE, 2gb fast ram, SATA raid array HD) with a slightly older video card (Geforce FX5950 Ultra) and at 1024x768 with most of the options at medium, I get like, 2 fps.

wtf? My direct X & drivers are all up to date...
    Auto detect feature says my computer is "high end" yet sets the rez to 640x480 and turns off many features, and reduces others to "minimal" settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with me ScoobyDoofus, I can't figure out whats wrong with it.. Ill keep trying, Maybe its just the SP Download because i can run doom 3 on Ultra at 1024xwhat ever
    Lets wait for the Full Version to come out and see if they fix that, Their might even be another driver version comming out that they started supporting blush.gif
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    They say this game has not been rated at the ended but everyone knows what its going to be rated...
    My computer couldn't even play bf2 so i guess it wont even play the demo of this.
    Looks to me like a realy nice game though.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i love horror games with all my heart. even if it sucks ass, i'll pick it up.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    only just finished playin the demo, I really thought the multiplayer sucked but this wasn't why I was interested in the game in first place and this fuckin rocks smile.gif
    The Single Player demo has got me back onboard and I can't wait for it to come out smile.gif
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well it was crashing on eax.dll so I tried some beta platform drivers for updated sound drivers. That seemed to work.

Pretty good. Fun. Very short demo, but does give a sense of game play. Cant say it was enough to convince to buy it (especially since we havent heard or good or bad the mod tools will be).

I wasm't scared any, in fact the mood pretty much failed to effect me. It seemed forced. In fact, I was scared less than Doom 3 initially. The biggest annoyances I have are just "ok" voice acting, and the lack of emotional expressions on the characters faces. I guess HL2 has spoiled me.

BTW the Plasma/Rail Guns effect is great. wink.gif
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Forced Burst Fire = Teh suck!

Also, was the demo supposed to be scary?!? poly132.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    I wasN't scared any, in fact the mood pretty much failed to effect me. It seemed forced. In fact, I was scared less than Doom 3 initially. The biggest annoyances I have are just "ok" voice acting, and the lack of emotional expressions on the characters faces. I guess HL2 has spoiled me.

BTW the Plasma/Rail Gun effect is great. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Same thing here, although I wasn't impressed by HL2 either...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Runs fine on my 3000+, 1 gig of ram and 6600 GT on the autodetected settings. Cool game, a little creepy not really shit my pants scary or anything.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    fun stuff... nice freaky bits..
    my only complaint is that i had to keep droppin the screen res the farther i went in to keep gameplay at a steady framerate.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely graphics. Ran great on my computer. Decent mood. The slo mo kicked ass.

Might consider buying this. I was pretty surprised by the quality.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone who is having problems with a FX card should force on a DX8 in video options, that should give you a decent framerate boost.
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, great looking game. Great atmosphere...millions of times better then the multiplayer shitfest. Wow. Parallax mapping to create blasted out chunk effects on walls with the particle gun is awesome. (The effect is a tad weird when you get up close though) Particle cannon in slo-mo....drool. Charred skeletal remains....damn. I have a mid spec machine and it ran smooth as buttah for me. I think I'll be picking this baby up...reminded me of Silent Hill 2 and 3 with a bit of half life 2 and a pinch...a PINCH, of doom 3.

AI was great, I died several times but really, beyond memorizing where the guys come in from, they seem to attack you differently each time. Crawling under knocked over shelving to get at you, running for cover...convincing and fun.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Crawling under knocked over shelving to get at you, running for cover...convincing and fun.

[/ QUOTE ]It's more fun when the badguy actually grabs hold of a shelf, then tears it to the side to make cover! ooo.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Is it just me, or does that girl in the F.E.A.R. headquarters at the beginning have really long arms?

I really like how insane things get in the tight corridor gun battles.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Heres a question:

Why did they equip an elite soldier who is going into a very dark place with a flashlight that can only be used for 15 FREAKING SECONDS AT A TIME!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I get back from work, shower etc. then install the demo. I close the curtains, turn off the lights and close the door, put on my clunk headphones and crank the volume up.

So I'm sitting in my underwear playing, some spooky bits. Then I climb down a ladder in a dark room and turn around to have something right infront of me. I spray half my magazine as my heart jumps into my throat.

What is the LAST thing I need as this is happening? Yes, one of my cats walking under my chair and have it's tail lightly brush against the back of my bare knee.

Excuse me while I go get some therapy.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Heres a question:

Why did they equip an elite soldier who is going into a very dark place with a flashlight that can only be used for 15 FREAKING SECONDS AT A TIME!

[/ QUOTE ]Secondly, why did they equip him with a flashlight when he's not going to be using it.

I never did use it.. shocked.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hm, I didn't crap myself, but my PC did frown.gif
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    my game tried to give me a seizure, with all the textures popping out to be replaced by pure whiteness. Guess I have to tweak my settings.

Guns sure were fun to shoot, though.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    apparently it's a short demo but i didn't play long enough to find out how short just yet. combat's kinda bothering me... i really don't care for the 'zoom in' kind of deal that doesn't go to ironsights, as well as the aforementioned forced burst modes. FPS games have gotten a lot more sophisticated about their portrayal of modern gun tech, and even though FEAR obviously isn't claiming realism, i think there are some options that would go a long way to provide for different play styles, like a selector button for rate of fire.

and really, i'd like to see games do a proper "lean out" (head and gun go out, not the whole torso) instead of just having the character lean over at a ridiculous angle. seriously, who does that!? smile.gif FEAR does the body awareness stuff very well, goes a very long way to giving you a sense of really being there, seeing your shadow and all... which makes it worse when you can see your shadow leaning at a retarded angle.

we'll not talk about the obvious silliness of pairing "assault" and "recon" in the title, because again it's obviously not trying to be realistic. but it's certainly not helping me feel invested in the game. i can't get scared if i don't care about the whole schlocky deal in the first place.

as far as the horror trappings, it's really not doing much for me either. the late 90's called, Monolith, they want their level design back. walking ten feet with atmospheric sound and then triggering yet another simplistic car passing/helicopter flyover kind of scripted sequence isn't the greatest recipe for atmosphere... and do we need to recycle j-horror conventions in our games, too? haven't games always had their own stock of scary characters without having to take what hollywood's been taking from japanese horror? don't games allow for a wider degree of possibilities for scary things? the intro just about made me quit right then and there--Doom 3 may have been heavily criticized but i think it's a lot more successful at the same goals and building atmosphere; the Ravenholm segment of HL2 was most certainly more so.

the game graphically is looking great, i just wish that the scenario and more of the gameplay got the same kind of care.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Uh, got the demo, tons o' fun, but, one question, how the hell do i make my weapon show in first person? Is it supposed to be like this? because, it's really annoying, i run into i fire fight, thinking i have my best weapon out...but don't, and get killed..so, how do i make it appear?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    squirrel, I could see my weapon the whole time. No idea why youre glitching.

Gauss, I think you need to play more of the demo to make an more informed opinion. You've played abuot 5-10 minutes it seems. I agree that the force burst is odd, but its hardly very annoying. I also dont understand why you wouldn't like the scripted sequences. I personally love heavily scripted games, and while it may be nice for everything to happen randomly, it never feels as dramatic. I'll agree with you though, the scenario of the game is ridiculous. They send a single rookie on a mission against a 1000 super soldiers? Yea... I was really looking forward to working with a squad... Guess thats not gonna happen for a while