Home General Discussion

should bf2 be running so poorly?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
ok.. so i've upgraded my pc recently.. from a amd 2200 with a gig of ram and a BFGtech 128mb 6800 OC.. to a amd 3200 with 2 gigs of ram and the same vid card... and i can still barely get the game to play at a passable framerate (read: skipping like a 12 year old) at 800x600 with medium settings.... i'm scratchin my head here.... any tweaks to the video settings or whatnot anyone can suggest that would get the game to run at a good framerate at a higher quality...?

Replies

• KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    I'd try setting everything back to their default settings, and then start by lowering each of the dynamic settings by one level (dynamic lighting, shadows, etc). At least that is some place to start with. Maybe also check your drivers. Did you install the nvidia drivers that came with the game?
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    bf2 needs patches, its not you friend. needs to go back into the oven for a few more months.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Install the Nvidia drivers that come on the BF2 CD. Or use the latest drivers from Nvidia's site. Its a known problem, and the new drivers fix it.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter polycounter lvl 18
    I heard that placing your AUDIO setting on high causes some lagging / stuttering too.. lower you audio settings to start. Oh.. and the first patch (1.01) had a severed memory leak.. make sure to get the 1.02 patch for starters..
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    runnin the latests nvidia drivers, rhinokey (mojo) linked me to a site that gave some pointers on settings, it runs passibly well now at 1024... and i totally agree with the3dguy, i know for a fact that the game was released far ahead of when it should have been...
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    Turn off lighting and shadows. That helps tremendously.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say that 128mb card may have something to do with it too. BF2 is a resource hog for sure.
    I disagree with 3D guy. It's a fantastic game. I have a 5500OC 256 with my AMD64 3200+ and although the settings are low it runs great. I get 35-50 FPS and have a blast. I ordered a 6800GT 256 card and now the game wil be at maximum pretty and I'll have a nice framerate, too.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Note- while using the nVidia drivers shipped with the game (along with a lot of newer ones), QUITTING games such as GuildWars, AutoAssault, UT2k4 and whatnot can/will lead to a hard crash or BSOD!

4 pc's around me do so thus far.. shocked.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Your cpu is only mildly adequate, Flaagan. To be techincal, it doesn't even match the 'minimum spec' for the game. DICE suggests a mimimum of a 2ghz machine. Your '2200' chip only runs at about 1.8ghz, though.
    I recently upgrade from a XP3200+ to a AMD64 3500+, and the differance is pretty damn extreme. The chip was about $220, which isn't too bad, either.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    My hopes and dreams of upgrading to a 64bit cpu went out the window yesterday when one of my drives bit the dust...oh well, got a nice 160gb drive to replace my lame ass old 40gb smile.gif

Yeah 64bit cpus on ANY game makes the world of difference performance-wise. I have the 6800GT 256mb card and its not that good in BF2 unless i turn off dynamic lights and shadows. I have a AMD 3200+ (2.4ghz) and a gig of ram....
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vass.. as noted i upgraded.. but like i said, the upgrade didnt appear to do much for the game tongue.gif
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Note- while using the nVidia drivers shipped with the game (along with a lot of newer ones), QUITTING games such as GuildWars, AutoAssault, UT2k4 and whatnot can/will lead to a hard crash or BSOD!

4 pc's around me do so thus far.. shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does that for me in WoW. I have to camp, and then alt+esc to close the program from the task manager.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have 2 options;

1) Fiddle around with it until they finish the game (wait for the first expansion).
    2) Wait until they realize that what they thought they made (a very nice tech demo only to be seen not played at E3) doesn't run on 90% of the fastest hardware out there, and work out thier issues.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    AMD 64 3000, GF6800, 1GB RAM. Running perfectly fine here at all details max except textures/shadows.

Vassago: The 2GHz only apply to P4 CPUs which are vastly slower at the same clock speed as a P3, Athlon or PowerPC. I think my Athlon 64 runs at 2GHz or less but I get no problems. My dad has a 1.5 GHz Athlon XP (plus 512MB RAM and Radeon 8500) and it runs the game playable online with 64 players. A P3 at 2 GHz will be vastly faster than a P4 at 2 GHz unless you run an unmodified binary created by the Intel C compiler on it, which will serve the P3 code so shoddy it cannot be reasonably justified (even 8086s could handle more optimized code).
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    KDR: your A64 3000+ runs at 1.8 Stock I believe

Vass:the whole point behind AMD's naming system is to show the equivilent Intel processor. In general, a 3200+ is "equal" to about a 3 ghz Intel proc.

The game runs great on my FX-55/6600GT/GB Dual Channel 2-2-2-10 RAM.
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I got my 6800GT 256 installed and OMG!!....the graphics are amazing!!! This game looks incredible. I am also chugging out a 60-90 framerate depending on maps and activity.
    What a beautiful game. smile.gif