Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
The title speaks for itself crazy.gif

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You mean, you personally or a whole bunch of you as in a co. layoff? I've definitely had the latter feeling but not really the former. Wassup? Murmurings at the photocopy machine a la 'The Office'?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yes. soon after, I was sacked.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    actually me personally. complicated as usual
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    odd though as i had every intention of keeping my mouth shut today, but it just opened of its own acccord.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    i have tried getting sacked and it isn't working. i have come in later EVERY DAY for the past 8 months. i should try harder.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    LOL. yeah if I don't get sacked i wil try harder next time. Perhaps i will physically attack a polygon model and pull the vertices off it. that should do the trick
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I got sacked after having a punch up with my boss once. Never saw that coming.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    As long as your not getting sacked for doing shitty work your good to go . Hopefully you can get some unemployment or got some doe saved up ?? Maybe you can try and not get sacked and find another job while your still getting paid...is a bit more wise smile.gif
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    It s a bit complex to explain here.
    good advice though pogonip. Hopefully it will work out ok.

hawken, thats sounds like the sort of thing would happen to me , he he.
    I do have a bit of a temper tantrum on occasions( its only cause i care)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    One time a boss pretended to sack me for fun. Oh how we laughed.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha, did you leave him laughing through his bloodied teeth
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    If that happens Mike, send me a mail. I know some guys at FreeRadical and Eurocom, maybe even get you a contact at Core if you want.. just dont apply to Headfirst right now. Rats, sinking ship and all that.
    wink.gif
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I know what that feels like. Work slows to a trickle. People quit asking me to do stuff. I find myself spending entire days on experimental or personal work. "Software Training", heheh. Things get pretty easy.

Then they tell me that my job has been eliminated. Hmf. I learned to reconize that after a couple of times.

/jzero
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers man. not sure what my plans are exactly. was thinking about film or the high end stuff, but am bit drunk right now, so i will let you know what happens.
    actually my work mates brother works at eurocom.
    shame about headfirst though,i almost got an interview there a few years back
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Sony London are permanently after character bods, the bind being that they are unwilling to pay a decent wage plus... er if you REALLY need a job drop me a mail, and I`ll pass it on to the right peoples.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    very kind firetstarter. I will see what happens tomorrow, might go my way, might not, but either way i am thinking about my future seriously. I will be 38 in september which makes things a bit harder.
    One thing for sure , art is my life( sad i know) and I can't give it up just know.

ona positive note , brian lara got to munber one on all platforms, beatng madagaskar which is cool.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i did it. i resigned today. finish next friday.

They asked me to d some freelance work for thew which is a bit surprising, but right now i am taking a well earned break.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    know what that feels like. Work slows to a trickle. People quit asking me to do stuff. I find myself spending entire days on experimental or personal work. "Software Training", heheh. Things get pretty easy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dude that is the kiss of death. I know exactly what you are talking about.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    If you get sacked via firing does that lessen your chances for the next position?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    that may depend if you leave in a big bad temper or go with good grace. i always find these days, not matter how pissed you are, just be courteous/professional when you leave, makes it easier all round.
    I know my previous employer tried to slag me off when my boss phoned them up( still took me on though)
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    sorry to hear that ruz, first time i was fired from a 3d,well it was laid off so i call it fired since the result is the same,i didnt see it coming,all seem fine till i got to work that day then i was handed a pink slip. they told me the company was having hard financial times and he had to let go a bunch of workers including family member.

what pissed me off is that they lied to me,they only had to fire two people and i was one, i understand having to let me go becaue they had to let me go but at least be honost about it.

or at least be less of an idiot and not post pics of people who were supposedly fired on your corporate website.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    hey its ok,I quit, but was kind of pushed.
    I was laid off in my first ganes job, but I rally hated that company anyway, so was quite relieved. I am bit sad to leave swordfish, though there are one or two people there I will be glad to see the back of.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    hehe I've never been without that feeling... hehe every place I've been at I do get a slight hint that things might just go terribly wrong... whether it be because of the company's incompetance or just because we are doing something very risky, but hey theres really no way to succeed without risk.

I was let go from my first job, I went right to doing freelance contract work for about 6 months, loved every day of it, then got a job here at ritual and I'm loving it, I dunno sometimes some companies just don't fit you.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    yah.. the last few weeks of working QA at EA Redwood Shores...
    it's actually a pretty f'd up feeling..
    we all know that we're going to get canned (and the guy's whose contracts are up aren't even notified of whether they're going to be kept on). the game goes out the door, and our leads are nice enough to try and make us feel good by telling us there's always the possibility of it getting kicked back.. but with EA we know that's not likely...
    the leads I was under were really cool and let us play games OTHER than the one we'd been playing nonstop for the previous few months, though some other testers had leads that forced them to continue playing.. but the fact still remained that we essentially were just sitting around biting our nails all day every day waiting to be called in to give the required 'sign here and here and here' and get walked out the door and hand over our badge. It's not a fun feeling at all.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well i feel much beter noew I ahve resigned. I got to work a weeks notice then i am free again. i am thinking that I will not work in games anymore. thats it dude . I tried fr ten years to get where i wanted , but lifes too short.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like you`ve been on the sauce again Ruzzy ol fella wink.gif
    Never say never, and no 2 companies are the same, would be a shame to throw away a 10 year trek, no?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    So Ruz, just out of curiosity, what type of job would you be going for if you're no longer gonna work in the games industry? Still art related? Or something completely different from what you've been doing?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    firestarter - who me? nahh i don't drink that much these days. weekend wine drinker thats me.
    The thing is I always saw myself as a commercial artist/illustrator first, though I absolutely love making games.

aesir - not sure, really, possibly the high end/ film or somesuch.
    Even though i parted company with swordfish, they asked me to work freelnce for them, but I am not sure yet.