Home General Discussion

Air France overshoots runway at Pearson

Moz
Moz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Moz polycounter lvl 18
No one was seriously hurt. Sounds like he dropped too hard on the runway and burst is tires. The bad conditions made a bad situation, much much worse. As a pilot myself, all I can say is, Whoops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_358

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah - and I get to fly out of that airport in 3 weeks :\
    Glad to hear no one is hurt.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Saw that on the news when they broke in. :O

I too am glad nobody was serously injured. smile.gif Quite amazing.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Take a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boats are dangerous.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Take a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boats are dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

and very slow
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Shooting through the air in a small metal tube full of highly flammable liquid going several hundred mph/km is perfectly safe.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    It's safe because morons don't get to become passenger pilots.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    no but drunks do ;-)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2095099.stm

Btw, don't get me wrong. I fricking hate flying as much as the next, well, person that hates flying. But it's a necessary evil in my life I'm afraid. Getting across the Atlantic by boat isn't really an option. Although If there was a bridge I'd probably drive
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Shooting through the air in a small metal tube full of highly flammable liquid going several hundred mph/km is perfectly safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of a joke I heard from some comedian (don't remember who). It went something like: "I hate flying. My friends always tell me, 'It's the safest form of travel, you know?' to which I respond, 'Oh yeah? I'm pretty sure walking still beats it.' I mean, I've never been walking down the street and then suddenly someone just bursts into flames and plummets 30,000 feet." laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    No, but I have been walking down the street and been clipped by a drunk driver.

Trust me, you are a bunch of morons if you think flying is dangerous. The mistake I felt that was made is the pilot broke the golden rule: If you arent sure it's safe to land, Dont land: Continue in circuit. In my experience sounds like he was doing a wonky landing in near ZERO visablity, and got hit in a microburst (mircoburst and push upwards of 6000ft per minute) and dropped to the deck, broke something in the undercarage, and since he was too far down the runway and had no wheelbrakes so he slid off the threshhold. They all got off with nothing too serious and then the plane slowly went into flames. No harm done. Sounds like pilot error and act of god.

What this has also taught me is that atleast 30% of all news anchors are also private pilots or friends of pilots.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    A guy in the town I live in just got hit by a drunk driver last night when he was walking his dog down the sidewalk...walking sucks ...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Trust me, you are a bunch of morons if you think flying is dangerous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well actually I think that's a pretty moronic thing to say and no, I don't trust you smile.gif Tell that to the many thousands of people that have met their sticky ends burning alive in plane crashes. Of course that the fundamental act of ( as stated above ) flying 30,000 ft up at speeds of 400mph in a metal container full of combustible fuel is inherantly a 'dangerous' thing to do! Yes it turns out that it is pretty safe. But you're missing the point. Most peoples fears in this world are irrational. Yes flying is statistically safe, but a plane crash has to be a pretty fucking horrible way to go. Why? Because in most cases you get way too much fucking time to contemplate your imminent demise as far as Im concerned.

Im not afraid to admit it. I have a slight fear of flying. It doesnt stop me going anywhere, but Im edgy as hell. I KNOW that its an irrational fear, but that doesnt help me, nor will anything you say. It's just an issue in my life that I deal with. I'd quite like to think that it doesn't define me as being a moron.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Actually when I went to Vancouver just last week I was edgy... and I use to fly at least twice a year from age 1 until about 20...

But, 2 things helped me out:

1.) Looking at the steward/stewardesses faces. If they're smiling, I'm smiling.

2.) When the plane went up in the air I sort of whispered, "Well.. my life is no longer in my hands." I then put on my headphones and tried to sleep.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That is so bloody true Adam. Checking out the flight attendants arses always helps me. Which is why I always fly Virgin Atlantic. mmmmmmm
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You know Hooters has an airline now too right?
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I've been in two car accidents (not my fault) and hit by a car three times (not counting non-serious stuff, and no not the same car) all that was survivable. I can swim and I can roll but I can't fly. I know when my driver is too drunk or stupid to trust, can't say the same about my would-be pilot. Also if a car is a piece of shit you can tell and even if it breaks down or say the engine falls out, not problem, if the tail section or a wing falls off a plane after years of stress in mid-flight you are dead.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    if the tail section or a wing falls off a plane after years of stress in mid-flight you are dead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that Does not happen

There is no basis for that.
    Even if all engines fail, or you run out of fuel, or even if you clip a wing or blow a hole out of the top of the fuseloge above the whole first class section you can still land and survive the plane. So your argument for is unfounded
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    bloodyhell, Weiser and I agree on something! No way! w00t!

Yeah but loss of hydraulic pressure Moz and you are 'hosed' !
    Ya see what I did there? hosed?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    our fears are only purpatuated by the media/s.

here's a list of airlines that have never had any problems: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/noaccident.htm

The worst two accidents I know of are: the 1985 Japan Air Lines one, where the flaps got stuck and the plane went around in circles for a few hours untill all the fuel was gone and it crashed into a mountain, and the one where the fuel tanks exploded sending the nose into the sea and sending the rest of the plane into a steep climb.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

here's a list of airlines that have never had any problems: http://www.planecrashinfo.com/noaccident.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

dont fly with those airlines! No crash means they're due for one! ;-P
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Btw, even though it actually does me more harm than good Moz, that was an interesting read. I fucking loved this bit:

" After the accident, a passenger stated that as she was boarding the airplane through the jet bridge at Hilo, she observed a longitudinal fuselage crack. The crack was in the upper row of rivets along the S-10L lap joint, about halfway between the cabin door and the edge of the jet bridge hood. She made no mention of the observation to the airline ground personnel or flight crew."
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    Im pointing out that even with serious structual damage the aircraft still returned safely.

Then again, Im completely satified even flying in aircraft with no engines at all so if you want to sit on the ground shaking your fist at the jets as the fly by like coward that is your business.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Moz dont modern passanger planes take off, fly and land by auto pilot? And pilot only takes over in case of an emergency?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im pointing out that even with serious structual damage the aircraft still returned safely.

Then again, Im completely satified even flying in aircraft with no engines at all so if you want to sit on the ground shaking your fist at the jets as the fly by like coward that is your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

no need to be a tard. We all have things we dont like doing in life.