Home General Discussion

Killed my computer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Marine polycounter lvl 18
My computer died on me frown.gif and just after I'd put a new hard drive in it.
Put new hard drive in, xp installer refused to format it, finally got it formatted using maxblast. After spending AGES copying everything other from old drive, problems started.
Winamp got stuck in a loop, bluescreened, programs froze for 4-5 seconds from simple things like closing a window. Pulled out memory sticks to try them individually, no change. And then the fucker wouldn't even boot, all I get is psu, cpu and graphics card fans spinning up, power going to cd, oddly, the ram led on mobo lights up regardless of anything being in ram slots, the cd drive won't open, no image on monitor, and no post beeps.
Google says mobo is broke, gonna have to get a new cpu as well to make sure it's not that that's gone, and a psu because old one has been pretty loud lately and it might have been that the took out comp.
All in all, been a crappy, and expensive, weekend frown.gif

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Uhg, that sucks marine. frown.gif Sorry to hear that.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe it is just a weak (old) psu (power?). Have you tried starting it with only minimal configuration (mobo,ram,cpu & gpu?)

But you are right, it sounds a bit like a broken mobo.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, accualy jkmakowka has a good point. At one point my system just started acting funny. Funny spots on the screen. Sluggish responce time. Then it totaly locked up, i started smelling burning electrical parts so I freaked out and turned off my computer immediately. I sniffed around the exaust area but for some reason I didn't smell it by my computer so I thought "oh what the hell, my computers been of for a little while." Bad idea... I turned it back on with the side of the case open and I saw sparks literaly shoot out of the back of my power supply. O.O

In the end I went out to compUSA and got me a nice replacement powersupply and my system worked fine. Opened the old powersupply up for fun and found a capacitor accualy SCORCHED off of the board!

Go get you a nice new powersupply, its alot cheaper than upgrading your mobo. :O If thats not it at least you know you didn't waste a bunch of money.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    yeah burning computer parts bad!!!

I had a defected ASUS motherboard few years back. Only had it for 2 months and the damn thing started to smoke!! (Fried mobo after that... -.- )
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Opened the old powersupply up for fun and found a capacitor accualy SCORCHED off of the board!

[/ QUOTE ]One of the cords in my old PSU just glowed when the thing was powered, and sizzled when failing to provide power to my Fx5900's fan...

In which case the card became 78 Celsius (and yet it still works)! confused.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I had a similar problem when my old PSU croaked on me. I was using a ULTRA PSU, the one with the 'quick' install cables. It's a P.O.S, don't buy it. I went with a compUSA brand instead, 500w - works flawlessly.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Well some good news for you marine..

MY YORKSHIRE PC WORKS JUST FINE, mwuahahahaa!

PS did you delete all the stuff from the old hard drive?
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Try disconnecting that new drive...it's the new component in the system so...
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    pulled out everything but mobo and psu, no post beeps at all, ram led still lights up, it's pretty much guaranteed to be mobo now.
    ah well, new bits arrive tomorrow.

on the plus side, i finally got round to beating god of war, the final boss fight is too easy, the spinny blades of doom took longer to beat.

oh, and i discovered that i hate laptops.
  • sledgy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    Just checking but have you unplugged your PS? Sometimes unplugging it will flip a relay in it that the mobo needs to be flipped so it thinks the PS has been reset...might be a stretch but worth a shot.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds similar to my weekend but not as bad. First, I get sick and have to leave work early. Find out my video card no longer works properly. So no gaming or modelling over the weekend. My gf had to go to court for missing her probation and gets put in jail for 5 days, she gets out tommorow. Also, she had driven my van to her court appearance, our only vehicle, and she forgot to take the diaper bag out of the van before leaving and it had our only can of baby formula in it. I had to take a taxi with a screaming, hungry baby to the courthouse to pick up my keys and my van. Took the fucking incompetent guards and hour and a half to get me my keys even though there were only a few other people there to bail out a couple other inmates. My oldest daughter had an asthma attack Saturday night and I found out her inhaler was empty so I had to take her to the ER. Yeah, really shitty weekend. Luckily my bro had spare video card that's the same one I was already using in my PC so he let me have it.

I had the same problem with my work comp a few months ago. My boss just bought me a new computer. tongue.gif