Home General Discussion

relief mapping

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~oliveira/RTM.html

check it out! pretty insane stuff.

they have a demo that you can download and take a look at a few sample objects. looks so damn good it's not even funny.

now if only we could solve that edge problem........

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't this just another name for parallax normal-mapping? If you use 3dsmax7 with DirectX 9, you can get Ben Clowards parallax .fx shader and view normal-maps with height-maps applied for this effect, I've been doing it with some models myself, it really does add to the believability of the normal-map.

Yeah, it's cool, but it's not that new, in fact it was shown off in the very early Unreal Engine 3 videos, which were released quite a while ago.

As for the edge problem, there's always silhouette clipping...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    mop, in the second pdf, look at the 7th page figure 19, its better than paralax mapping.

nice find
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, that'll be exactly what MoP said then keg ;-)

silhouette clipping is teh cool tech though. Have yet to see anyone try to implement in a game. The relief stuff is neat. That Doom footage was mightily impressive.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    That doom3 video was awesome. That's the first time I've used "doom3" and "awesome" in the same sentence. No more crapping looking normal maps. Can this tech be used on characters, or best left on static objects?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, when I've seen relief mapping in motion it always squirms around a bit, stretching the color map and making a bit of a mess. When it's more subtle, less displacement, it seems to pull off the effect better. But I still see stretch marks in the grooves. But I'm basing this on older demos, haven't had a chance to play with Oliveira's demo.

I wonder if no one is using silhouette clipping in-game because it won't work with deforming meshes, only static ones [just an educated guess]? Or maybe it's yet another strain on the CPU/GPU, and so it's not competitive with a simple increase in the actual tesslation?

Anyhow, in that RTM paper, they show a silhouette method being used already, as part of their algorithms. Pretty frikkin amazing. Although it also seems to have a lot of aliasing... the silhouettes look kind of choppy. Gotta download that demo!

Thanks for the links.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Relief mapping is far better than Bump, Normal or Parallax.
    With Bump, your basically simply offsetting the Bump map in relation to the light point, and the Greyscale of that pixel is then added to the one below. Giving you a shiney surface and faking height to a degree.

With Normal Maps what happens is the light now reacts to the normal position (stored as A(Length) RGB(XYZ)) just as it would a vertex normal. This gives the illusion of depth because the light is in a 3D rather than 2D space.

For Parallax Mapping it is like Normal Mapping v1.1, because what it does is pass over the texture coordinates and remaps the perspective in Screen Space.

Relief Mapping is different though, it uses the normal map as if it has real depth. The light reacts to the depth of pixel not just it's normal.

I think the best way to show this is with a screenshot where you can see each version.

reliefmapping.jpg

See I think that describes the difference in the effect much better. That's purely the effects put onto a Quad.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I see - I didn't read that far. The doom3 video is certainly impressive, although I'm pretty sure I can see the "squirming" that EricChadwick mentioned on the left of that bulkhead door halfway through the vid. The rest looks very nice though.

Shame the demo seems limited to NVidia stuff.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, but I actually wonder, if this high level of texture processing is still more efficient than actually building it out of real geometry (at least for most 'not so round' cases). But I really don't know.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    As far as current generation cards go, I would say no Relief Mapping isn't worth it over real geometry.

On my 6600GT I can expect Doom 3 to run using
    Normal Mapping - 120fps
    Parallax Mapping - 90fps (110fps if it's using Virtual Displacement)
    Relief Mapping - 38fps

So it would just be as easy to use real geometry, but doing that for levels would mean quite a few static models. Not to mention other costs. (more VRAM, etc.)

I would say a real benefit comes more from using it sparingly. Given the Texture throughput required.

This said the GeForce 7-Series, is specifically designed to speed up relief mapping so you can use it with almost zero performance hit. Still it's a good technique.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting effect from the D3 screenshots.
    doom3_02.gif

The four panels and center object on the door appear to float after relief mapping is applied to them, (i assume separately). Of course, D3 wasn't made with relief mapping in mind. But it is something artists would probably have to avoid. Shows just how real the illusion looks. Also notice the difference in edge hardness around the door.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can this tech be used on characters, or best left on static objects?

[/ QUOTE ]

We used it on our next gen game on the main character (a demon), and to tell you the truth, on television resolution, in a 3rd person game, it just wasn't worth it. So we took it out.

For a first person game, on large environment object, I think it's well worth it.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I had a look at this a long time ago when I beta tested fabio's relief tech hack. The video is very deceiving and it only works 'well' with half of the original doom 3 textures.
    Performance is painful and image quality suffers somewhat.

The effect only looks good at a distance, get up close at any extreme angles and u get results like this: http://www.doom3reference.com/pipes1.jpg

luckily tho he said it was a really quick modification and could EASILY be improved GREATLY.

It certainly goes to show what amazing stuff can be done though. Also it's only supported by top spec nvidia cards at present due to the amount of dependant texture look-ups required, it really isn't worth dabblin with the hack.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can this tech be used on characters, or best left on static objects?

[/ QUOTE ]

We used it on our next gen game on the main character (a demon), and to tell you the truth, on television resolution, in a 3rd person game, it just wasn't worth it. So we took it out.

For a first person game, on large environment object, I think it's well worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. In-fact even on a high-resolution computer screen your not going to see much quality difference over normal mapping on a character.

This is because the characters are already reasonable curved and shaped. So your just adding depth to the creation in terms of detail rather than completely faking things.

Relief is definately far better for larger flat surfaces where the gamer will get close up and want to see that detail.

Parallax for curved depth architecture, like rocks or colomns with spirals. Stuff like that.

I wouldn't waste the processor speed on the Characters though, Normal in most cases is more than enough. It is better (and quicker) to have a higher resolution Normal + AA Shader than a Relief Shader. End result is better IQ for the gamer. smile.gif
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    One problem with this is the fact that he's using the normal maps to generate the heightmaps, this isnt giving 'true' heightmap data and causes problems. A normal map only stores normal information, like which direction a face is turned, it doesnt store if this face is higher than the other, it just creates the illusion.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The d3 thing is just a hack, there a program that converts the normals maps to height maps and thats just not the right way to do it. The height maps should be genertated from the high poly model in max just like the normals maps. We're using parrallax in our project and it really dosent look good unless its subtle. This relief mapping does make some nasty artifacts at odd angles but besides that fabio's tech demo looked awesome. I havent gotten the d3 thing to actually work(i dont think the shaders run on my card, too many passes or something i guess) so i cant comment about the quality there.
  • polarize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polarize polycounter lvl 17
    How do you generate heightmaps in max? Do you use displacementmaps as heightmaps in your project? And does this work properly?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    This tech might be interesting and it does produce staggeringly different results, but it'd be 'really' impressive if it was just 1 pass instead of 2 or 3, and if it was less of a resource hog than parallax maps (they are a huge hit)

A well crafted and properly lit normal/parallax map combo gives us a great effect in our engine.

If it's gunna be a huge performance hit on consoles...I don't think I'd want to afford it in my pipe. Parallax calculations are expensive as is.

-R
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah, there's the TD for you, always watching the budget! Rightly so PaK.

polarize... welcome to the boards!
    Displacement = heightmap, same thing. Generate them same way you do normal maps, using Render To Texture, or Kaldera, or ATI's tool, or NVIDIA's Melody.

Trouble is though, in my experience what works well with displacement does not always work well with parallax or other bump techniques. When I generate a heightmap by rendering from a highres object down to a lowres one, the heightmap has facets. This is necessary for displacement to accurately perturb the low-res mesh in order to recreate the highres silhouette (do a search for heightmap in the Max8 help, they elaborate on this issue).

However with parallax or bump, the heightmap is not actually moving any vertices around, instead it is distorting the pixels across the existing surface, and this lowres geometry is using a single smoothing group. So the heightmap facets aren't cancelling out the lowres facets, instead it causes some ugly banding.

It helps me to subdivide and smooth the low-res object before making the heightmap, removing most of the faceting. But going too far can also distort the UVs or the result, so it's a balancing act.

Don't know if this helps you, but it helps me think when I type something out.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    OR! Graphic card makers could work on polygon pushing, so we dont have to fake it! sigh...

the focus has been shaders for too long, all this tech is boring and time consuming on the development end. I also prefer good art direction and texture work to normal mapping, as it still looks wonky like the plastic wrap filter in photoshop to me.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I also prefer good art direction and texture work to normal mapping, as it still looks wonky like the plastic wrap filter in photoshop to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Human characters in particular have gotten fugly with all this new tech. I find great texture work to be more visually pleasing on the eyes. Except for games like HL2, since their lighting isn't as sharp, and the animations and voice work really bring out the personalities. This rush to parallax mapping seems too sudden, as it's an enormous hit on graphics resources, and the games using them will probably be the same ol' FPS tech demos appealing to the hardware obsessed.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They suck because their lighting sucks. HL2 has nice lighting, makes a huge difference. Most games simply use a single key light, and leave the rest of the model unlit, or just crank up the ambient. Blech!
  • polarize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Eric

Thx for your answer again. The facetting is in fact a big problem for me. I was afraid that i cant use displacementmaps as a heightmap. Since the normal to heightmap tools dont work accurate enough i had to paint all those maps and this just costs too much time shocked.gif and is of course not much fun to do so.
    But subdividing a really very lowres mesh for rendering a displacementmap wouldnt work in my case.
    But on the other hand i´m not sure if the pipeline for our project is a final one, because who wants relief / parallax / blabla mapping on very lowres geometry wink.gif

Edit: Okay thanks, smoothing the lowres works at least better than painting the maps by hand. But i hope we´ll see some changes in generating those maps in the future. It all just gets too timeconsuming wink.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the focus has been shaders for too long, all this tech is boring and time consuming on the development end.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isnt the tech its the users. Look at gears of war, those epic guys make that shit look natural and gorgeous.

First off, this is only the 2nd project cycle we're seeing of next gen materials, only 3-5 developers had it for the 1st string anyways. Give us developers some time to learn.

Aswell, there is no other alternative for technology progression. high res normnal maps come from high res geometry. if you were to make that geometry the primary mesh you'd still need a butt load of new UV's and that is time consuming aswell.

Besides...I don't make a high rez mesh for every normal map, as a matter of fact i use darktree and paint hightmaps for 90% of my details so...no, I don't agree with that tech progression at all.

Given that, you're still mislead and presumptious. Material passes make all the difference. Film CG 'get's its gorgeous look from materials.

Use the tech for a project (or 3) before you broad brush it as a poor prgression of technology bro.

-R
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    But subdividing a really very lowres mesh for rendering a displacementmap wouldnt work in my case.
    But on the other hand i´m not sure if the pipeline for our project is a final one, because who wants relief / parallax / blabla mapping on very lowres geometry

[/ QUOTE ]
    Look at the vids in John's link, specifically this one. And the dissertation used even simpler mesh than that. Well anyhow, PaK's point about performance might still be an issue. I'm just saying the low-res mesh shouldn't be the deal-breaker.

Not sure if I was clear... I subdivide the low-res only for the extraction, removing it once the map's been generated. That might save you a lot of hand-painting time, especially since it's really tough to paint heights accurately/smoothly.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I've used Eric's technique before for getting a heightmap to use in texturing. I comes in very handy for doing diffuse and specular maps. Check out Ror's recent thread in P&P for an example. I just put a temporary turbosmooth on the low poly before doing the render-to-texture for the heightmap. Like Eric said, it gets rid of the faceting.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    it's important to only have large shapes in a parallax map, aswell as smooth transitions. otherwise you get this wierd swimmy effect.

-R
  • polarize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, shame on me, it just works great. I use a subdivide first, then split some polys on difficult edges and finally i can use a smooth on my lowres without changing the form too much.
    The results are awesome. compared to what i had before wink.gif

@doc_rob
    What can i check out in P&P? I dont found the thread frown.gif

THX for your Tips!
    PS: Sorry for the Mayaterms wink.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the thread,
    http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=91531&an=0&page=0

Glad it's working out.

PaK, good point. We've been simply using the same heightmap asset as the source for both the normalmap and the parallax map. First the engine converts it to a normalmap (for the detailed micro bumpage) and then samples the original down to use for the parallax map (for the larger relief). Saves a bit on disk assets (though same vid memory), allows more control over both ends (artist can alter normalmap strength, and parallaxmap sampling method), but it does take a load-time hit. YMMV.

I think someone mentioned this article in another thread, a good overview of the parallax effect.
    accelenation's Parallax Mapping article
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Eric, we had the exact same pipe and our normal/parallax were based off one grayscale texture that we painted.

This tool/method seemed logical for the engineers but i wanted to make layers upon layers of details in photoshop with my normal maps and I found that the swuimmy effect was happening too often the moment i started adding any nubbly little details.

I asked my gfx engineers for more control, so now I plug my 8-bit parallax map into the alpha of the normal and it saves a little bit more than a new grayscale texture. It's not hard for them to impliment this functionality. Even though a 32 bit file is big, it's better than a seperate parallax map.

-R