Home General Discussion

Game violence study

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    i believe it, stupid mainstream media likes to overblow isolated incidents to get ratings,its all bullshit, its all part of the scare for ratings news which dominates the airwaves.

off course they wont show you this type of information,hard to overblow a story with facts

same reason i didnt go out and buy duct tape when the news said to do so

get a damn flu shot because supplies are low

or worry about west nile virus

shark attacks

terrorist flying AC planes with chemical weapons

bird flu

sex in grand theft auto

its like George Carlin said "there are many industries out there whose business is the manufacturing,advertising and sale of bullshit"

i think there should be congressional hearings on really stupid news and the really stupid people who believe everything they read
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    holy shit nice article. haha, who was it that said in another thread we need a revolution? yeah i think this is kind of going on the "revolution" stack
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I remember on the first summit on violent games in Germany (shortly after Columbine) John Carmack stated that since the release of Doom the frequency of school shootings went down by 58%.

From TFA:
    Points for killing cops in GTA?

In GTA? Yes, a cop is worth ten times as much as a regular guy. In GTA 3? Dunno, I don't think I played that enough to kill cops but they seem to have dropped it.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Great article. Pretty much covers everthing. In the recent GTA:SA thread, many asked why the violence wasn't a bigger issue than the sex. I don't believe violence in video games causes violence in real life. Kids play cops and robbers, no one gets hurt. But kids don't play pimps and hoes. Still not a problem, except for the offspring.

I was shocked by the article linked about kids being mistreated in zero tolerance situations. I had a friend in high school who was expelled because she was accused of having a deathlist in her locker. They never found a deathlist, but she was expelled anyway. They agreed to send her a tutor so that she could still work towards her diploma, but they never showed up. She was not allowed to walk on graduation, didn't recieve the diploma, and eventually the school simply forgot about her. One youth's life ruined that easily. We were never allowed to hang out around campus after school because we were all potential criminals.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best read on the subject I have read so far.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. Thanks for posting that, Rick.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will that chart be on the back of GTA 4?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You mean Rape Bitch Murder Street?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You mean Rape Bitch Murder Street?

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like a snuff film : /
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    They agreed to send her a tutor so that she could still work towards her diploma, but they never showed up. She was not allowed to walk on graduation, didn't recieve the diploma, and eventually the school simply forgot about her. One youth's life ruined that easily. We were never allowed to hang out around campus after school because we were all potential criminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where were her parents in this? Man I woulda gone to that school to kick the principles teeth in if getting a lawyer didn't help.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    If you're going to sue someone for making kids violent, you should just go right to the source, and sue they guy who invented violence. That would cover a lot more bases than going after Rockstar, EA, etc.

Dumbasses.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry but I have to rant.

Every time I take some time to read the news, I just get more and more pissed at the media. They make everything into a huge problem. I remember a few months ago a lady ran away just before her wedding, all the 24hr news channels followed it for 2 months. She wasn’t dead or kidnapped, she just got cold feet. How can people watch the news when shit like that is worth two months to them?

I hear people talking about the down fall of American culture, blaming gays, movies, TV shows, and video games. You know what it’s not the fault of any of those. It’s the fact that the news channels will do what ever they can to get people to watch them. They lie to us; make us fear the shadows, all because we found something better to do than watching them.

Now because the news keeps us watching our own shadows we don’t realize that are rights are being stripped and liberty being squashed. The news tells us that we could be killed at any time, and GOV tells use that we don’t have to live that way. All we have to do is be willing to give up the very freedoms we once fought for.

The land of the free is quickly disappearing and being replaced with the land of the fearful.

Two quotes sum up our world.
    “There is nothing to fear but fear it’s self”
    “Those who would trade freedom for security don’t deserve freedom.”

Security is in the mind, it is what you believe it is. Rite now America believes it is what the news says it is, not what they see it is.

End rant.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the post. Before we go into dancing sprees. How are these statistics taken? Meaning I can see a potential flaw in population. Since the population has continued to explode , the amount of violence may have stayed the same or increased. We arent seeing this because quite possible the areas where the violence happen have stayed the same, while the areas without it more children are born/raised (which makes sense).

Anyhow, Im looking at that justice site. "Per 1000 people". See think about it. Just to make it more apparent, say there were 10000 people to give 10 samples.

5 of those were violent. 5 were not. 1/2 ratio.

Now jump 20 years and there are now 20,000 (20)samples.

8 are now violent, but 12 are not. The ratio is lower. The amount of violence is not!

See what Im saying? The violence could have raised. The study doesn't seem to offset for population growth (as far as I see). So again, before we jump around and use this all over. Im quite sure someone in the media will able to conjecture. BTW someone could rightly argue we are part of the media, I think he meant to signify news.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Great article. It needs to be spread around! Get it going like ea spouse's letter!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxy: 1. No industrial nation has a positive population growth, at least not one big enough to explain that if the absolute numbers stayed constant.
    2. If the number of violent acts stays constant while the population increases that means less people than usual become violent as the ratio would stay the same if a person had the same chance to become violent. Since games are supposed to be a major factor the chance that any individual would resort to violence would increase, not decrease unless all the other violent people suddently stopped using violence.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. I believe the last consesus showed it has grown (percentage wise since the study, I dont know)

2. The number of people whom do violence stay the same (or increases slightly). While the overall population increases. So that violence is still there. There are just more people. Which can be (possibly) explained that areas that violence is less prevalient will have more children where it is not.

Now, playing the devils advocate, those violent areas being exposed to the violent game could still cause the increase which we may or may not be seeing in the national average. As I say, someone critiquing these numbers in a different perspectives can find loops holes.

A real concrete case study would have to look at violent areas and then see if those involved played video games. Then compare that violent areas history (alone) to see a before/after advent of violence or not that compares to console/game saturation.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Remember the SARS thing in Toronto?

I don't.
    <--

doj_chart_1.gif
    IF you look at this chart it corresponds to the legalizing of abortions. Which many critics claim to be the cause to the drop in violent crime. Unwanted kids= unwanted crime.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Exactly Sett. Its too generic a study that it can be used for a bunch of items.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Unwanted kids = unwanted crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. poly142.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which can be (possibly) explained that areas that violence is less prevalient will have more children where it is not.

Why would that start being a factor in 1993 and not all the time?

No matter what, if games were really that evil that they deserve a ban more than any other medium or factor of influence you'd figure they'd have an effect on national crime rates. So games cannot be that big a factor when it comes to making people violent.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    IF you look at this chart it corresponds to the legalizing of abortions. Which many critics claim to be the cause to the drop in violent crime. Unwanted kids= unwanted crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you've read Freakonomics?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Kind of off-topic from this thread but I've been reading the www.zerointelligence.net site linked in that article. It's nutz what kids are getting expelled and even arrested for these days. Hell, I thought it was bad when I was in middle school and got dentention for not saying hi to the principal when he said hi to me, but that doesn't compare to the shit that's happening now. I bet kids now are more afraid to go to school because of the admnistrators instead of being afraid of the other students.

Makes me very worried for my kids. My oldest will be in 2nd grade this coming school year and my middle daughter will be starting kindergarten.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Blaming violent media would be like going to the opera, noticing that most people there are rich, and concluding that opera makes people rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

F E A R
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    doj_chart_1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Not to bust your mood, but on the gov site where that image was pulled, I saw this little note:

"Note: The serious violent crimes included are rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and homicide."
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/cv2.htm

I don't see anything about illegal abortions/abandoned children there...
    That, and the image itself has a line saying "adjusted victimization rates per 1,000 persons AGE 12 AND OVER" - I really doubt that most parents wait till their children are 12 years old, or older, in order to 'remove' them. poly132.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Good point G-zero - I recall how the media hyped up both sides in the Shiavo case and then CNN stepped back and crossed arms and said look how nasty each side is to each other - Duh!
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    doj_chart_1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Not to bust your mood, but on the gov site where that image was pulled, I saw this little note:

"Note: The serious violent crimes included are rape, robbery, aggravated assault, and homicide."
    http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/cv2.htm

I don't see anything about illegal abortions/abandoned children there...
    That, and the image itself has a line saying "adjusted victimization rates per 1,000 persons AGE 12 AND OVER" - I really doubt that most parents wait till their children are 12 years old, or older, in order to 'remove' them. poly132.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hes saying that, before that point, people had to have kids even if they didnt want them. the kids were treated badly and unloved because they were not wanted, and so the kids commited crimes. when all the unwanted kids were never born, then crime dropped.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, more than anything else that chart seems to follow the growth of the internet.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good point, all our criminals are on the internet lying about crimes they commited to impress other people instead of actually commiting those crimes.