Home General Discussion

freelancers: ever gone all the way?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
someone hasn't paid me for 4 months, thinking about taking it further after 2 final warnings and legal threats to said someone.

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hire a lawyer to write something for you saying youre gonna sue em in all that legally jargon. If that doesnt work, going any further is gonna cost ya.
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    I've done quite a bit of freelancing, I don't trust people easilly, if its not a well known company that people i know have worked for or an established studio in the industry I usually ask for 50% upfront, that seems to work fairly well to establish some trust.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I once went 3 months without getting paid on a freelance gig. I had to start calling him on the phone and sending him an email every other day asking if the check had been cut yet. It was a small amount of money, but It was mine. I earned it.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying not to get stressed over this but it's really messing up my budget for the year. Legal dudes in the UK cost about £80 an hour.

Basically I handed him the invoice 4 months ago, 2 months ago he asked me if I could do some extra on the project, I agreed and did it. he then got back to me saying that I delivered the work too late and he had to use another artist to complete the project, and will deduct the other artists fee from my invoice.

this man doesn't live in the real world, but he seems to be pushing me to take him to court.

In his last email I got "As you correctly point out, "no contract was made" and, as such, ******* TV Ltd are under no legal obligation whatsoever to pay you the fee you demand for any work (complete or otherwise)"
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    No contract has been made? Okay, get him for copyright infringement, he's stealing your work.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken: been there. did work back at the end of april and am only now being paid. granted I've learned my lesson. never wrote up a contract, which I plan on doing from now on.

You did verbally agree on things correct? at least in canada a verbal contract/agreement is as binding. bust this guys ass. depending on the amount it may be worth a lawyer and it may just be worth going to small claims court.

For future contracts I basically plan on putting a clause where the amount owed within 30 days or so is the close to the originally quoted and after 30 days up the amount by so much per week after said 30 days or something similar to that.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Verbal contracts are legally binding in the entire western world. If you go to court you can probably get some interest on the money as well.

Is there no legal insurance in the UK?
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I guess your biggest problem is that you are now in Japan. The Citizens Advice Bureau can't even help. What about a Japanese laywer?

I've only ever had to resort to the law once before, for a deposit some was refusing to pay back.

As soon as I told them that the amount of money was not the issue, it was the principle, they started to panic (most peple think it is the money.). We were buying a house so we had a current solicitor. I DIDN'T Lie...I said something along the lines of:

"The money means nothing to me. This has gone far enough, and I'm now prepared to see this matter resolved in court. My legal advice comes from C*****L****** whom I spoke to earlier, and they are now representing me."

(I said this in the middle of the office at work)

They *were* representing me in the purchase of our house, so I never actually lied. Strangely, 15 minutes later I had a phone call from the landlady telling me that it was all ok and she was sorry for the misunderstanding.

(cheers from co-workers)
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Wait. If there was no contract. Whats to stop you from oh, posting what you made on sites as free downloads?

Fucking can go both ways.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, he still made a derivative work of their concept but the adaption (i.e. the model) is his and he can forbid derivative works (i.e. anything that includes even a part of the model). I wonder if they've "tainted" other assets by including parts of the model?
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    My tutor omn m illustration course didn't get paid for 2 years from a famous wildlife organisation, even though he did the work at short notice and did a great job.
    A well known retailer published his work without permission in the form a of a jigsaw.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    damn I feel like posting all the emails here.

basically he asked me to do some game graphics for another company that pays him to put games togther. 4 months after the invoice is issued and I got another email today: "

WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Hawken

I await hearing from your legal representative.

Regards,
    --

"

This dude has just made sure that I'm not bluffing. If I'm not, he gets a new one ripped for him in court. If I am, he gets a free game.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't mind sharing, how much money are we talking about here? If it's not too much money, he's probably assuming that it'll cost you more in legal actions than it you'd receive.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Winner gets legal fees paid by the loser.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    Just had him on the phone.

I'm willing to take a hit of about £100 off the invoice to avoid court. He made a million and one excuses but finally I think we have agreed to disagree. I brought up the unpaid invoice a lot.

Remind me never to do work with this chump again.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't you get a collection agency on his ass?
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry you had to go through all this, man. Some people just suck.
  • jzero
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I've had some slow pays, but never had to go legal on anyone. I did have an illustration prof who gave some good working advice. He said that a simple letter from a lawyer can motivate many people, even if you don't intend to push it all the way to court.

He also gave discounts to clients who paid him early. He billed them Net 30, but they got a 5% discount if they paid within 15 days. Many did.

/jzero
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken, Let us know who this duche bag is so none of us get hoodwinked by this company. Or pm me. Im very curious to know.
  • Slayerjerman
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    File a claim agaist him in small claimes court for unpaid contract invoice. If you are owed under $2k, small claims court is the way to go. Just do it, stop talking to this twat and just take it to court.

BTW - pretty sure you represent yourself in small claims court. You could always ruin this guy and contact the people he does buisness with (who ever is getting the end product from this guy) and tell them straight up what is going on. They will likely cut ties with this cunt and then the circle of tomfoolery will be complete....

Exchanging emails and calls will only increase his belief you are bluffing and he can get away with not paying.

Actions speak louder than words (or emails?) hehehe
  • sledgy
    Offline / Send Message
    sledgy polycounter lvl 18
    I know in the US you could file for a lien which would make it very difficult for him to get any kind of credit until it is settled. It's a simple process that doesn't take a lawyer. Not sure about the local laws there though.
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Screw all that just drive by his house and throw a brick through his window. That should teach him.
  • milla
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    Last year did a contract and didn't get paid for it, but I had been lead to believe that my tasks were signed off and admitted myself to hospital for surgery right when they wanted changes, so I'm not sure I have grounds for pushing, and I was hoping I'd get more work; I never chased my money. They never gave me more work either, so I lost out doubly, but I keep hoping smile.gif

I'm not sure about pursuing this sort of thing, but then I'm a remote artist - so damned remote it's not funny, and I guess I'm not really in a position to fight breaches of contract, even if I've done my part to the letter of the law, because it's just not practical from here.

I think you should chase this though. You're a wonderful artist, and knowing that I imagine they got bloody amazing work out of you. As I said, I'm not sure of how things work there, but there's no reason you should take a loss if you fulfilled your contract. Just watch the costs involved so you don't end up spending all your earnings from this job on getting your earnings paid out.

Sorry if I'm repeating what others have said. I have the headcold from hell and am distinctly fuzzy mentally.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Sgt Hulka still owes me $2g's from Zaero! I just didn't work for him anymore, and was too busy with new work to care. Best to be careful who you muck with as not to ruin future opportunities. Sue someone today for what you thought was right, and you end up with a suey reputation tommorow.
  • milla
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sgt Hulka still owes me $2g's from Zaero! I just didn't work for him anymore, and was too busy with new work to care. Best to be careful who you muck with as not to ruin future opportunities. Sue someone today for what you thought was right, and you end up with a suey reputation tommorow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there has to be a balance though, or people just won't pay unless they feel like it. An artist who completes a contract should be able to expect payment, and then pursue that payment if it's not forthcoming, without fear of gaining a bad rep'. A fair legal action is a fair legal action after all, and no employer who has the intention of paying their talent for work done should be deterred by that.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your kind words Milla.

He's now suggesting to pay me at the end of August. I'm torn between accepting or just taking him to court... the end of august is 5 months after the invoice was given to him.

The options are to wait another month for £400 or go to court and possibly reclaim £600. That is unless he reacts to a letter that will cost me £50, from a lawyer. In which case I'd lose £50.

May sound like pennies to some people, but has screwed up my shedule, I also have bills to pay etc.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sue someone today for what you thought was right, and you end up with a suey reputation tommorow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to me the only people who would really look at something like that are most likely the ones that you would want to watch out for anyways.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    he's not offering to pay at the end of august, he's jsut trying to get you off his back for a month.

i'd at least talk to a lawyer, most of them will talk to you and see if you have a case for free, and beyond that i would go to every message board on the internet that his games fanbase may come from, and let folks know what a complete tool this guy be
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, he's just trying to delay things. I'd also bet that even if he does pay you in August, it won't be for the expected amount.

Pull the lawyer card.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    If I were in that situation I'd likely take him to court based just on principle, even if the money I paid cancelled out or even cost me a bit compared to the money I make, it'd be worth it to ding the asshole.

Unless your really low on cash. I'd also get his name out on the market, let people know who he is and what he's like.

Mind ya, I've got no experience with such things.