Home General Discussion

Man dies during childbirth

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
http://i-newswire.com/pr35584.html

this is most likely the worst moment to go. maybe it was meant to be. who knows? they should really stop using epidurals. those things are more harm than good.

Replies

• Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    More harm than good? Don't think many women that have been in labor that have had an epidural will tell you that. I've been present at 4 childbirths and they had an epidural at all of them and it made the delivery a lot easier.

Anyways, it's tragic that guy died but damn, what a wuss.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    hahah, I was thinking the same. I mean, that guy was in danger either way. If he didn't pass out while helping, he surely would have still passed out while watching. How could he even hold up to watching the childbirth?

I do feel sorry for them because it is sad in a way. But the sick part of my mind still finds it amusing.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Slightly OT but I've heard of surgeons vomiting into the patient. I guess that's one real mess to clean up...
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Why should they stop using epidurals? More harm than good? I doubt many women see it that way.

Maybe you're thinking of something else?

He fainted at the site of the needle... Even if he had gotten past that needle stage, he would have had a heart attack during the delivery. What a sad way to go. =/
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Uhm, Elysium, tell your 'epidurals are no good' sentiments to my daughter. She had one to take care of her pain during lung surgery. Can you imagine trying to cough after parts of both your damaged lungs have been removed, and the rest abraded to speed healing/sealing? Now, imagine all that, and you're eight years old, and on a ventilator. Now tell me that epidurals are no good.

I expect five hundred words by the end of class period. Go.

/jzero
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, like I said in my post above. I haven't witnessed epidurals cause any harm. Haven't seen any of my kids or the 2 women I've personally witnessed in labor have any side effects from it. Hell, it made my current gf not feel any pain even when she was in hard labor. And it was her first baby, too. I was shocked at how easy the delivery was for her and how calm she remained through it all. My ex-wife was a big screamer for our first 2 children since they had to turn off the epidural for her hard labor for them but our third was really easy for her to deliver with an epidural again.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    And say 'epidurals are no good' to my wife and she'll kill you.
    She went through labour twice without it. Simply because doctors here don't believe they're needed for childbirth. Go figure blush.gif
  • Kytos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kytos polycounter lvl 18
    I think epidurals are both good and bad. My mother had one for both my brother and I. Something went wrong when they did the one for my brother and she ended up on her back in the hospital for a week.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Slightly OT but I've heard of surgeons vomiting into the patient. I guess that's one real mess to clean up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Really? I guess I would figure after so long of being exposed to it via school and just general interaction, you would become sorta desensitized to things. Weird.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Uhm, Elysium, tell your 'epidurals are no good' sentiments to my daughter. I expect five hundred words by the end of class period. Go.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I said they're "more harm than good". Not to be confused with 'no good at all'. And the fact is, well, it's a fact. Epidurals include many risks to the mother and child. Having a drug injected around the spinal cord is not something I would consider safe. The drug itself often enters into the mothers blood stream, and transfers to the child...blood pressure, lack of oxygen, oxytocin drip to counter the effects, side affects of drugs that conflict in purpose, yadda yadda, the list goes on, just check the internet, medical dictionary, whatever. And no this isn't another silly conspiracy. We cut open our torso and inject needles into the spine just to give birth. Why must a natural function of females be so difficult? The benefit of the epidural is it allows the mothers to relax from relieving pain. If the tension of a hectic hospital environment is causing so much pain, other methods of pain relief need to be considered. I've talked to women personally who still have a small percentage of the drug collected within the muscles in their legs even after a decade. Any therapy applied to those areas could release it back into the bloodstream. Our society is so obsessed with drugs and relieving pain that natural methods are looked down upon. Delivering babies is a big business. Yes babies die, but if at first you don't succeed...

Second of all, I'm refering to epidurals being used for nearly 90% of all childbirths, not as a general painkiller for surgery. Obviously if the proceedure is life threatening or extremely painful, the epidural would cause more relief. But we're talking about effects on healthy infants and the mother. So I think you're taking many of my opinions way too seriously. I'm sorry your kids have serious health problems. I do hope they recover and live normal lives.

Third, I've wasted my lunch responding to this crap when I just wanted to post an interesting article. My comment was more directed jokingly at the effects the needle had on the guy. I myself have a fear of needles, and wouldn't want my future wife injected and cut open next to me just to have a child.

Somewhere I put myself in a position where every thought that I have which deviates from public opinion is now being heavily scrutinized on this board. Perhaps this is a sign I've let much of my real world conflicts influence my attitude in online discussions. Time for a break.

That enough words for you? If it were possible I would just delete this thread and replace it with "LOL...guy falls over and dies while wife delivers baby...OMG DUMBASS!!!11one"

Let's try this.
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/nation/12208651.htm

OMG! Baby born in a toilet...lol.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "My comment was more directed jokingly at the effects the needle had on the guy."

That's how I took it :/ I thought you were being sarcastic about the use of epidurals.

"Let's try this.
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/nation/12208651.htm "

hahahaa, the baby was christened at the same time. Best quote, "No you're not, honey. Come back to bed."
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    haha, thats how i was born! I wouldnt have ever thought that it happened to others too. Ok i wasnt born in the craper, i peaked out over it when my mom thought she had to use the bathroom. I was born in the bathtub next the the crapper. Needless to say i'm my mom's little shit. My parents are hippies so no traditional drungs that i know of were used.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really doubt that unless you have some proof... icon15.gif
  • Nerd Groupie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerd Groupie polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't seem quite right that she is suing because her husband was a wuss.

And that second story is hilarious, typical sleeping male response! :P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, poor kid, born in the toilet.

My sister was born in a car... my parents were a bit slow realising they had to drive to hospital, I guess...

[ QUOTE ]
    I myself have a fear of needles, and wouldn't want my future wife injected and cut open next to me just to have a child.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you mean is, you'd have to leave the room if she wanted one... if she's the one who's having a baby, I don't think you get to decide what she does or doesn't want.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't think you get to decide what she does or doesn't want.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. But it has been a topic of discussion. Her mom's experience is definately an influence on the choice. And we've read info on alternative methods, for whenever the time comes to make that choice in life. Just let it come out with it's ready FFS, like all the other species on this planet. I still remember how Gabe from Penny Arcade described his wife's C-section, with the doctor elbow deep in her stomach like something out of a sci-fi horror movie. polytwitch.gif

*faints*
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah a C-section is something else, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle watching it. Though now a days they usualy don't let anyone else in the room when it's happening, and they block all vision of the woman.

But they only do C-sections when it's an emergency or there's a foreseen complication, like the baby isn't pointing in the right direction and will die if it isn't removed. I would much rather have my wife cut open "unnaturaly" than have her or the baby's life be ended because there was no outside intervention.

I guess this is all kind of relevant to me right now, my son is due in about 6 weeks. Got this stuff on the brain. Sorry if I'm off-topic smile.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    wow what a horrificly ironic death,one live enters and life leaves.

only way of dieing more ironic than this i can think of is drowning a a cruise liner swimming pool
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok if he is that weak at the sight of needles what in the HELL is he doing in the delivery room!? I am sorry for his wifes loss and I feel for her and her son, but really, she is just hurt and wanting to lash out. true to american style lots of money you didn't earn, aquired by a lawyer, makes the pain go away...
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She needs a real man to be that baby's daddy, anyway.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Try squeezing something the size of a cantaloupe out of your penis and then exclaim the that epidurals are bad. mmkay..

If you have a penis, I don't believe you can have a valid opinion.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is it that someone always wants to compare by ramming something through our urinal tract? That's not an even comparison whatsoever. It would be more like ramming a rotton cantaloupe through your anus. A baby's head/skull is very soft at birth (for the purpose of birth).

Either way, I wouldn't want to do it wink.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    c'mon, we all know that giving birth is like having your bottom lip stretched over the top of your head, doesn't anyone watch Family Guy?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually Justin, although they did use that in Family Guy it was Bill Cosby that originated that comparison in his stand-up act.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Max: I hope that scumbag learned something.
    Sam: Me too. I never knew you could stretch the lower lip over the entire head.