Home General Discussion

What are phone interviews like?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18
i have one on monday and ive never had an interview on the phone.

tips?

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    From my experience phone interviews serve one purpose, and that's to make sure they won't be wasting their money flying you in. They check for things like being a dick or a complete wanker, and that's about it.

They really can't find out too much about you on the phone, that's what an in person interview is for. But there are a few things they can double check very quickly to make sure it's not a waste of money to fly you out. They will just ask you a few questions, but they don't care as much about the answers as much as they care about the conversation. How confident you come across, what your personality type is like, etc etc.

Just relax, enjoy the conversation, and be yourself. If you have the phone interview, it's very likely you will get an in person interview. They normally do the majority of their culling between the art test/folio review stage and the phone interview stage.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, and another thing, write down the things they tell you. It's easy to get excited and forget any information you found out. If you have it written down then it's easy to review what was said later on. You will also have a clearer idea of whats next and what you would like to ask them when meeting in person.
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    You have one great advantage: they can't see you. Think of all the questions they might ask and write them down with answers, then if your mind goes blank, you have something to refer to and you can make sure that you cover all the points that you'd want to include in your answer. Something I did that might sound stupid is write down the first line I'm going to say when I pick up the phone- "hello, thanks for phoning, nice to talk to you" or whatever. If you're nervous it could help the conversation start a little more smoothly. you can't be too prepared.

I had a phone interview with Ubi Montreal a couple of years ago that was pretty tricky- a bad line, strong French accents and three people on speakerphone firing questions but it turned out to be fine.

Good luck
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Not that I am in the game industry but I have had a lot of job interviews ocer the years . You need to show enthusiasm and be excited about being an artist . Show how excited you will be to work with a team and if possible find out anything you can about the people interviewing you ..like maybe they have a website or they are a well know fantasy illustrator ( many in the game industry ) and you can use that to say " hey man I love your work "..etc etc brown nosing works just dont over due it ! Show that you are ready to learn and willing to do anything to get the job ! Good luck !!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    No pressure, if you can adequately commuincate in the language of choice you'll be fine. It's usually a good idea to write down a couple of questions to ask them.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've had more then PLENTLY phone interview.
    My suggestion, do it in your pajamas.

Seriously.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've had more then PLENTLY phone interview.
    My suggestion, do it in your pajamas.

Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not go all out and do it in the nude
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    "Hello, Ubi Soft? I'd just like to let you know I'm naked right now."
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    "Hello, Ubi Soft? I'd just like to let you know I'm naked right now."

[/ QUOTE ]

thats how all my phone conversations go. my grandmother has stopped calling me.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've gone as far as doing the interview in just my boxers.
    Feelin' comfy @ interview = best
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    why not have a wank at the same time?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Have your lady friend polish the knob while invterviewing. That'd be exciting!
    "So, what did you think about our last game"
    "oohhh....oohhh, GOD! oh jesus...ahhh ahh ahh...oh its reeeealllly nice!"
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    why not have a wank at the same time?

[/ QUOTE ]

also why my grandmother has stopped calling me
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    If you find something that makes telemarketers stop calling you, will you share?
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    thanx for all the responses
  • drakino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drakino polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If you find something that makes telemarketers stop calling you, will you share?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to a cell phone only. In the 7 years I have had mine, I have had very few telemarketers call. Maybe 1 every 4-6 months. When they do, simply interrupt them and state "this is a cell phone". They hang up quicker then anything to try and avoid you suing them for used airtime.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    just had the interview,i think it went very well,i answered everything truthfully and at the end he recommended i get myself a passport.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Coolness JO420! smile.gif

Get a passport? ... see you soon then I suppose smile.gif
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    im keeping my fingers crossed,dutch beer,girls,amsterdam cafes oh my!