Home General Discussion

any GBA power users here?

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hi

I'm about to get a second-hand GameboyAdvance (the old indigo/transparent shape as the SP does not fit in my hands and gives me cramps after half an hour) and I have a few questions.

I love the feel of the machine and the crazy games available (YAY for sunlight and motion sensitive cartridges!) but also want to use the console to it's full potential in terms of emulation, mp3 playback and free homebrew apps. (but don't want a DS as I don't really like the games nor the price laugh.gif )

My main concern is what PC linker and what rewritable GBA flashcard to get. I have seen many are available but some seem to have compatibility issues. Is it true that the FlashAdvance (no F2A) linker is the best pick, either USB or printerport? I'd like to be sure it can run NES roms too.

I've also seen cards (smartmedia or compactflash, not sure) to GBA adapters allowing music and movie playback. But I guess it's also possible to put MP3s directly on a GBA Flashcard and run them with some app but I really have no clue.

I'd appreciate any info on the subject, product reviews aso. What would be the best place to order these things online?

Oh and if you have a GBA to sell, just PM laugh.giflaugh.gif

Thanks alot if you can help!

Replies

• nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    I've seen those things before and wasn't too sure about them. I went with a DS and never looked back. It plays all the gba games (backlit no less), and I'm really diggin the DS lineup (the good ones). Additionally, there is some emulators and such coming out for the system down the road. Things can only get better IMO.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Best games are bust a move and mario balls although I never bought a linker I just play them on the pc emulator.

Also check out out asteroids.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    problem I have with the DS is the lack of being able to connect to the gamecube. From what i've been able to find online the bios used for playing gba games is the same as the gba's plus the connections on the board for the plug are there, one would just have to hack the ds apart and solder one in.

Been thinking of getting a gba myself, mainly for four swords action with friends. Probably just going to save up and buy a psp, maybe one of the newly announced white ones when they are released.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    dude get the DS and the linkup hardware.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I meant that the DS can do loads more than the GBA but you can still whack GBA carts in there.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    There's even DS-specific homebrew stuff. The GBA is too weak for a SNES or higher, the DS can handle a lot more. AFAIK there's a fairly usable Linux implementation for the DS.

There's both a CF and a SD videoplayer for the GBA, the SD one is officially made by Nintendo and can even do MPEG4. I think it uses an on-cart processor for that so a flashcart won't help.

I doubt there's many homebrew GBA users on Polycount but there are quite a few homebrew communities out there, asking them will probably yield better results.
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Pior, I've got an EZF Advance gba cart.
    http://www.ezfadvance.com/
    They have a second edition, EZF2, or something likt that. I haven't had any problems getting games on there. There are a few homebrew games that will run fine on an emulator, but not on the real deal though.

Heres a couple sites that helped me choose.
    http://www.gbatoys.com/ (has a forum with lots of info, at least on the ezf's)

http://gbadev.org/ Check out their review section. This is where I based most of my decision.

Although if you are looking to make it a media whore, I'd probably get one of those sd card reader things so you can have larger storage. These carts are labeled by size, in bits, not bytes. So 256 Mb = 32 MB
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    ok I asked to my schoolmates who developped a full game for gba for their school project

they told me that the best flash carts and flashers were EZ Flash ones (obviously the one Kman has) as for pogoshell, the guy who was working on this isn't available right now so I'll ask him as soon as he pops out on msn, and you know how fast I am at this tongue.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I have a EZF Advance flash kit and it works very good.
    I would really get a DS because the lack of a backlit screen on a standard GBA sucks.
    If you are handy with soldering then you can install the afterburner kit on a GBA for backlight.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He got the standard GBA because it's damn cheap nowadays. He said the DS is too expensive for him so I don't think he'll get one now.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks for the info everyone!

Well I'm not getting a DS since I've not been hooked by the games I've tried so far except the metroid demo maybe. And yeah I think its a tad overpricey for what it is.

I should get the machine tomorrow with a battery back and the extra device for playing in the dark, yeah! EZF will certaily come next, and then maybe a supercard as CF are cheap.

I'll definately get the motion-sensitive Yoshi puzzle game as a first cartridge then.

Ikraan, do you have the Afterburner kit installed? I guess its really not that hard to install but I have some doubts about the actual results it gives.

Any more suggestion appreciated.

And game recommendation are welcome too, you've been great with the ps1 backcatalogue thread smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninja Five-O. Donkey Kong (not DK Country). Metroid Zero Mission. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    if you like strategy also get advanced wars 1&2 and fire emblem 1&2, not related to topic but hey great games
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He did ask for game suggestions so you're on topic.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info everyone!
    Ikraan, do you have the Afterburner kit installed? I guess its really not that hard to install but I have some doubts about the actual results it gives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I suck with any soldering, modding etc. Played with a GBA with afterburner once for a bit and it is pretty nice. It's no SP or DS quality but waaaaaay better than those clip on lights. Installation shouldn't be too hard anymore since Lik-Sang sells these afterburner GBA cases as a replacement for the standard GBA case which is prefit for the afterburner light, has the dimmer switch and you don't have to do any cutting in the GBA anymore.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Got the machine for a good price, its surprizingly light and confy which is exactly what I was looking for laugh.gif

I'm more and more tempted to get the afterburner kit even if I have a cliponlight already. However that thing seems out of stock on the main mod/import sites... I guess its been out of production since a while frown.gif

Gonna grab some cool games today, weeeee!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, forgot to mention, in Europe Ninja Five-O is called Ninja Cop. Don't worry about the stupid name, it rocks!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I had an afterburner installed on my GBA before I sold it. The difference was HUGE! I loved how the screen looked. It wasn't that hard, but then again I solder in my work so it was easy for me to do.

If you have mediocre soldering skills, I'd recommend buying/installing yourself.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Seems like ebay is the only place still offering the afterburner kit :/

I decided to get the GBA HALO instead. It seems like it gives similar result at the price of a little extra bump around the linkport, but has the huge avantage of not requiring any dismounting or soldering. All it requires is to replace the original plastic screen/lens with a special one which has a light similar to the AB preinstalled. Its not destructive hence I could still get an AB later smile.gif

Just got Kurukurukururin, FzeroGPlegen and the original Tetris. Long train ride today, gonna be fun!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I'm happy.

gbaowns.jpg

First screen shows the public-released AnotherWorld gba rom conversion, second one was taken to show a nes-fan friend that his GBA can run Nes games too wink.gif

That EZFA256 is sexy. Thanks Kman for the infos!

Been searching for Ninja five-O/cop in stores but couldn't find it.

Found a salesperson at the store who is experienced in Afterburner installation, still need to find a sealed kit somewhere.

YAY! Consoles are so cool, that machine really brings you 10years back which is so nice...