Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Arena for Linux released :D

Irritant
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Irritant polycounter lvl 18
Many thanks to Ravage for taking time from his busy schedule to take the lead on getting this working for Linux!

Get the Linux version of CodeRED: Alien Arena at http://www.planetquake.com/cor/codered/linux.html

some screenies at http://www.planetquake.com/cor/codered/aa_screens4.html

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Come on dude, fix the webpage so it displays at a nicer higher res tongue.gif So many people must go there, none of which run in 640x480 i bet tongue.gif

Also, last time i tried AA it crashed at the Video menu for me frown.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Great, I downloaded it already, but sadly I can't test it till sunday evening frown.gif

But I am really looking forward to try it.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, make sure to get the patch for it. We found a bug today that was with the master server list not showing up. You can still play, but you won't see any servers online without the patch.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really cool game wink.gif

But even though I downloaded the fixed version it seems to have trouble finding servers (on my brothers winxp box it did find servers but all of them where empty frown.gif )

Overall I really like it, but how much of the gameplay code was changed compared to Quake2 ?

And it is quite dark wink.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When did you play? It was extremely busy today, usually 10-20 people online the whole time, right up until about a half hour before I posted this when my router seemed to buckle from the traffic. Sundays, for some reason are always the busiest day of the week.

Not sure why you couldn't see servers with the Linux version...that troubles me frown.gif I know it works, we've tested, but you're not the only person who couldn't find them in Linux. Did it give an error message? Maybe "couldn't reach second stage of contacting master server"?

You can also download the Galaxy server browser and run it on Wine on your Linux box. It's on the Codered website, under the "server list" section, or you can copy it from your brother's windows machine.

As far as gameplay, I suppose the most signifigant change is All Out Assault mode with vehicles. That and a few of the alien weapons like the beamgun, vaporizer, smartgun...

There are going to be some more gameplay modes added in the near future.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No there wasn't an error message. Most the time it does nothing but sometimes a box pops up saying searching for local servers, this could take a few minutes, or something like that. I am using Ubuntu Linux (Debian based) if that helps.

Btw: could it be possible to configure XQF's Quake2 server browser part for AlienArena (e.g. what is the masterserver adress, and is there any special command I have to keep in mind)?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup that would work. The master is "master.corservers.com", port is 27900. It should work very much the same as Q2.

Not sure why it's not working for you though. The "local" txt should be changed, I just never thought of doing that. It doesn't affect the query though. It is working for some people I am sure of that. Usually it's network things that make it not work, which makes it odd since your brother can see it from the win box.

If it's not giving you an error message, are you sure you copied the patch into the right place? It should definitely give you an error message if the patch is installed and it can't contact. That was something added in for the patch...
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm ok I tried it with XQF, and I can browse for servers, but I can not stated them right out of xqf, since it looks for some Quake2 specific directorys frown.gif But I guess I can write down the ip and launch the game directly (haven't tried yet)

Dunno, maybe this helps for the in game browser:
    I had to specify the master server as standart:
    [url="master://master.corservers.com:27900"]master://master.corservers.com:27900[/url]
    in XQF, with http it didn't work (it contacted the masterserver ok, but didn't show any servers)

The patch is correctly applied for sure btw wink.gif

But on monday evening there is only one lonely guy (I guess you) playing on an US server frown.gif

Edit: ok by adding the ips from xqf into the adress list I was able to connect to a server (I guess you were ideling there too, at least there was a player with your nick, but US servers are way to laggy for europeans frown.gif )
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I just left myself idling on that server for awhile.

In the game code it only needs "master.corservers.com", and that resolves to the proper IP. Or at least it should. How reliable are companies that do this anyway? I wonder. I used register.com for it.

Seriously, the game is much more active during the 6am to 6pm EST(not sure how that translates to your time). This is because Giga either mentioned it on their show or website or something, but an assload of German players started playing the game over the weekend. Not sure how long it'll last, but it's always much quieter in the evenings here at my time, even before the Germans arrived. Hey, I see that your from Germany, so what the hell you doin' at this time of night playing, LOL laugh.gif

Not sure why, but Americans have never taken much to the game. It's always been mostly Europeans and Asian people playing it.

Of course a few of us redneck Americans get together every friday at 10pm our time to play, you could always join in smile.gif