Home General Discussion

Working in the games industry these days?

FEMTO
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys,

I am seriously thinking about wanting to get into the games industry. I have been playing around with 3D studio max for about two years now. I really love it, and at the moment I have mainly been doing low to mid poly stuff, and no high poly stuff. I can see that the industry is dramatically changing, with the advancement of technology and games moving towards mainly using normal mapped models. Therefore, since I have no experience with normal mapping, I want to know how important is it to have normal mapped models in your portfolio? What are the key things the industry is looking for in a portfolio these days? Is it too late for me? I want to start searching for a job within the industry within the next 6 months to a year. Please can you help me out? I am really confused about the direction my life is going at the moment and need some advice on understanding exactly what is expected from the industry now and in the near future? Is low/mid polygon modelling going to be something of the past?

Thanks if you are able to help me out, and if not thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After E3 this year it seems everyone has switched gears and gone next gen/normal map crazy. I think it is important to show low poly tenique because the meshes those normal maps go on are still pretty low poly. Showing both high and low poly detail is important. I wouldn't really worry about applying normal maps to models unless you want to practice up and learn one of the ways to do it. More than likely whatever company you go to work for will do it differently. So having a good solid understanding of the overall process and being able to adapt and learn new things is more key over having a few normal maps slapped on a model or two.

Mid-low poly modeling will have its place but it doesn't look like it will be the main stay of the industry for much longer. Handhelds like the PSP do some pretty high poly stuff for a hand held so there is that market to break into.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    none of the guys at our place are worried about trying to include normal-mapped models.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No, low/mid poly modeling will not be a thing of the past for a long time to come.

Bear in mind that current gen games will still for some time to come be made by studios who consider it their bread and butter, and dont forget the handheld market either.
  • FEMTO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FEMTO polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys, and thanks for the replies!

Hmmm…a mixed response. I guess it all depends on the studio. Maybe the best thing and obvious thing to do is have both types in my portfolio. Having said that, I have just been reading the “getting that first gig” thread, and since I have no experience and am desperately seeking to get in. I am now thinking of maybe doing some environment design, and maybe trying to get in through that avenue. I have a question, if I am to do environment stuff, is it ok to just do individual set pieces or to do one complete set piece? And if a complete set piece how many different set pieces is it advisable to have in your portfolio?

Again many thanks!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I've said it in the past and I'll say it again:

Unless you are an EXTREMELEY talented character modeler, focus on environmental objects and environments instead. There is a higher demand for environmental artists in the industry as opposed to character models. Also, try and diversify your environments as much as you can to show a range of style and abilities; do some realistic, some sci-fi, some fantasy, some exagerated cartoony stuff, etc. The art director at whichever company is looking at your portfolio will look for a demonstrated ability to do whatever they are looking for. So if all of your environments are one style, they will likely rule you out if you cannot demonstrate an ability to do the style of their game.

Good luck!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    But conversely, keep your portfolio focused. We say a prtfolio the other day that had characters, animations, environments, lighting, effects, particles, image processing and video editing. The person might have been trying to conver all the bases, but if you are applying for a charcter job, put in a lot of character stuff. If you are applying for an environemtn job, put in a load of environment stuff.

Don't put in anything that is totally unrelated to the job in hand.