Home General Discussion

EA announces BF2 addon....

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Check it out

all i can say is to quote response #20...
"nice screens... but where is the patch?"
well.. i could say more, but most of you that have played the game would consider it stating the obvious. laugh.gif

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Most companies don't announce their addons this early though pretty much all of then start with the addon before the original hits stores.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    crap, no access to that at work, have to check it out at home, am i correct in assuming that this ill be an add on you have to pay for? i remember they had a few for 1942 that were free in addition to the Road to Rome expansion.
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with 90% of the comments made on Blue's News. I happen to really enjoy the game when I can. The horrible lag and now frequent crashes are almost enough to make me want to shelf it until it's fixed.

Anouncing an expansion at this point is just plain stupid. It really puts EA in a bad light from my perspective as they come off as greedy rather than taking care of thier existing customers.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Expansion packs are just content & bug fixes they wanted to include but ran out of time/money. They try to give expansion packs fancy window dressing like new levels and more content but its just distracting eye candy the biggest improvement from expansion packs is always better stablitly. Provided they take the time to fix things...

It's like microsoft calling winME the next version of windows after Win98se. We all know winME was just a poor excuse to update the driver database in windows.

Hopefully they will widen their tiny fan base for BF2 by optimizing the code so it runs on something more than a rig designed to play tech demo's at E3 smirk.gif
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    yeah I LOVE the game but it does run like ass, i should get extra points in my stats for as many times as it crashes to desktop while changing maps on some servers.
  • Jay Evans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay Evans polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to be a feeling in a lot of the battlefield forums that the x-pack is somehow taking away resources from patching the game. They are essentially being done by 2 different offices. Dice Swe, and Dice Can.

"Expansion packs are just content & bug fixes they wanted to include but ran out of time/money."
    ummm. no.
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, it's just EA's Pay-For-Content concept.

The more you want, the more expansions you'll have to buy. smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EA is notorious for leaving bugs in games unpatched because the team has to work on something more profiutable than customer relations. C&C Generals was abandoned in a very buggy state with bugs that were known ever since the original release in order to produce that "War of the Ring" game instead. Though SOE takes the crown there with Starwars Galaxies.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    A patch would be nice instead. I'm spending more time playing Singleplayer due to the last. I won't plan on buying this addon, since it appears to be something that could easily be modded IF THEY EVER DECIDE TO RELEASE THE F****ING EDITOR!!!!1one

*rallies gamers all over the world to march into EA headquarters, burn it down, and take no prisoners* mad.gif
  • Jes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Though SOE takes the crown there with Starwars Galaxies.

[/ QUOTE ]They also lost it again with their Combat Upgrade (which was 100% free)...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And turned SWG into Everquest with Starwars characters.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Its two different teams.

Mind letting me know first if you're gonna burn down the building Im in please? k thanks.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say just toss the management in the bonfire and leave QA and the local devs out of it.. they hit the release date and said "ship what's passible".

As much as I spite EA (and I know Daz loves me for doing so), the major problem as I see / saw it is somewhere between how ridiculous the deadlines are and how the game is treated as it approaches deadlines (especially release date); not the dev's or QA's fault.

Along the note of gripes, however, the San Jose Mercury today released an article on BF2, and it was for the most part drooling fanboism with a passing mention of lag.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    List to Jay Evans, he knows best.

BELEE DAT.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

As much as I spite EA (and I know Daz loves me for doing so), the major problem as I see / saw it is somewhere between how ridiculous the deadlines are and how the game is treated as it approaches deadlines (especially release date); not the dev's or QA's fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to popular belief I have no issue with EA hatin'. Up to you guys obviously and I totally see where it comes from. If you look back on any time that I've lost my rag on these here boards on that subject, it's specficially when the studio I work at is being referred to ( e.g burn it down, take no prisoners ). In that case, I don't see that as being EA. I see that as my friends for the most part. We just do what we're told to by big brother, and work damn hard at it too.

Anyway, on this subject, I absolutely agree that a patch is paramount. What you don't see or know, is that in no way shape or form is working on this add-on detracting from the patch getting done. They are 100% disconnected. The patch is in progress. EA should have been better at communicating that fact with their press release.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The add-on is being made here in my home-town. Sometimes I swell (down there) just thinkin' about it!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yeah. What I meant to say was the people who are in management positions at EA. Not the people who choose to work at EA and listen to everything management says. Sorry if I seem a little upset after hearing the Editor would be released with the game, ooops, I mean the end of June, ooops, I mean soon, ooops, I mean whenever. I guess it's fine, since I can play BF2 online in the meantime without problems finding a server. OOOPS! Good thing the bots are great at driving tanks.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think "Oh yeah, we're going to fix those huge nasty bugs we left in BF2 accidentally, too" would have sounded nice in a press release.