Home General Discussion

Will there ever be console Modding?

Dio
Dio
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Dio polycounter lvl 18
Just read this article on GameSpy. Its about Oblivion the ElderScrolls 360 incarnation.
GameSpy Oblivion Article

Towards the end it starts to discuss modding for the console. It made me wonder what this community thought in terms of plausibility and possiblities.
Personally I dont see Microsoft being the first to champion such but eventually the ubiquty of technologies will have to blur any distinctions between tv, internet, pc, and audio systems.

Replies

• rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    Doesn't Pariah have modding tools on the xbox? basically a "lite" version of UnrealED or something, not sure what happened to that, i remember them showing a video of that though, and I thought it was pretty neat...
  • PfhorRunner
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah its there, but its pretty dumbed down... kind of like... errr. 3D tetris, but for making maps? It almost has a StarEdit (from starcraft) feel to it.
  • Mark Dygert
    A few games coming out this fall are shipping with a sandbox mode. But you won't be able to take those creations online =( What good is a sandbox when you don't have other kids to play with?

I don't see anyone supporting anything like someone prying open thier XBox and playing monkey with a mallet. But I do see (and welcome) some dev houses putting in editing tool software. Be it ever so dumbed down. The July issue of EGM had an article that mentioned two titles pariah being one of them, I forget the other. While trying to find the other title I ran into this read on toms hardware and this on gameindustry.biz.
  • sonic
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Actually there have been many homebrew games and apps released for consoles, mostly on Xbox... just not legally laugh.gif
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    At some point, there will have to be connection to a PC based version, or at least a server import process for assets and scripts. Else what modding will be reduced to is a very basic sandbox idea of only what the original game constaints give.

Hence, my sincere hope that PC gaming will continully exist in some form.
  • Jes
    Offline / Send Message
    Jes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hence, my sincere hope that PC gaming will continully exist in some form.

[/ QUOTE ]It will... There's far too many people out there who likes the extensive game costumization available on a pc (and keyboard+mouse) for the pc-gaming market to die... grin.gif

Seriously, look at GameSpy/IGN - Consoles didn't help create these sites, pc-gaming did...

Also, if it wasn't for the ongoing war between pc graphics and cpu hardware manufacturers, the giant advance in technology would not exist, hence the difference in older and newer consoles would be far smaller.

Personally, I'm thinking that pc's and consoles will become more compatible in the future, allowing for easier cross-platform gaming... (however weird that sounds)
    Make a map and play it online using your pc, then drop it down on your console and have a house-party next door using the X-Box720. (or whatever they'll call the 4th X-Box thingie)
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see a whole lot of modding in the future period myself . Look at how few mods there are for Doom 3 ..and all the Next Gen games are going to be like that sooner or later
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    pogonip, there is also the popularity of the original game, and the "finish" of the modding tools that take part in this. Doom 3 isnt a good example.
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Im just talking about the massive amount of time it takes to make high poly stuff of any quality,but better editor will help especially in level building .