Home Technical Talk

Alpha mapping all.... screwing

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Makkon polycounter
Uh, I'm not certain how to say this, but I don't think I know exactly HOW to alpha map (Maya). After painting some of my texture -damn thing took forever- I set up a simple alpha map for the hair to see if it worked (Went into channels and painted the black and white map) and then I uploaded it into maya. then................................. this happened:

Alphascrewy.jpg
notice how everything is inverted
and here's the stuff you might need to see

Alphascrewyhair.jpg

so..............what'd I do wrong?!? HELP!!!

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nothing. Maya has issues with alpha maps in its viewports. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a theory as to why exactly it ahppens but it seems completely random to me. Alias's suggested fix is to get a new ultra high end graphics card.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Ever since shaders were introduced graphics cards stopped sorting alphaed polies properly, they're drawn in the order the app sends them now. Some engines sort alpha polies before drawing (AFAIK Unreal does that), others don't. Your best bet is to apply alpha only to the polies that absolutely need it and use alpha test instead of alpha blend where possible.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Jackabalde: I have a Radeon 9800pro.... I don't see why it would still do it. Maybe I should use max for texturing.

KDR_11k: That one worked. Thanks, KDR_11k. While I was at it, I also sererated the texture into several portions, making loading time MUCH faster.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, we're talking high end cards designed for doing graphics, not games. Its obviously not a very feasible solution for most people.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    And besides, it won't help the people who play your game.