Home General Discussion

Once you are in - Tips and thoughts on surviveing

Prs-Phil
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
I´ve often seen and read various texts on how to get into the gameindustry but as many people are getting hired now and we have quite a fair amount of people that have been in under a year or a year, I would like to hear some thoughts and tips from the pro's what they think is nessesary to survive in this industry.

Anything really, from how to deal with teammates, managment, expanding your art, learning new tech, personal expierences what you have learned. It would also be intersting what kind of thoughts and expierences the "juniors" have made.

... so that once you are in you don't stay behind.

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I've been inhouse for about a month now. The biggest thing I would say is be open and honest. If you can/can't do something let them know. Communication seems really important.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    yes you also get a better view of what is going on and can act according to that.

Another thing I find is not beeing attached to your work like you would be to private stuff. Beeing able to understand what your AD want's and if you don't get it right the first time don't take it personal just because you think your way is better.

I also think talking to people from different fields is something that should not be neglected either. You can learn alot from your techdirector or from the programmers wich gives you a better picture of the whole game and how it is built up.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Think about your job like you would think about your art. It's a craft, and you will make mistakes, and you will need to improve. I know I learned a ton of valuable lessons about myself and how I interact with a team, and what needed changing, in the past two years.

Try to find out what aspects of your personality might annoy or hinder the team dynamic, and conversly, what do you do that unites and uplifts your team. Figure out the best way to communicate in times of stress. Being open, honest, and direct, is all find and dandy if everyone is open, honest, and direct in return, and if stress levels are low and everything is going fine. But if you have difficult managers, or the project is under stress, sometimes you have to change up the way you approach things.

Ideally you want every member of the team to have nothing but glowing praise for you. Sometimes that can't happen because you're asked impossible things, or your personalities conflict, but do everything in your power to get a long and carry through.

Companies will come and go, managers will change projects, games get canceled, and sometimes you decide to move on, but your reptutation follows you and is probably just as valuable if not more so than your abilities as an artist/coder/designer. There are some tallented folks in the industry that have such a negative reputation no one wants to touch them with a ten foot pole. Conversely I know artists that aren't really all that good, but have great personalities and get along well with their teams, and have an overall positive attitude, and they are very hireable.

I know I've made some mistakes in the past, and I have to live with them, and work on those things about my personality that caused them in the first place, but they were valuable lessons learned.

I'd say getting into the industry, it's mostly about your portfolio, followed by how well you interviewed (what they thought of your personality). But after a few years of experience, and you have a higher asking sallary, and want more responsibility in the team structure, it becomes more and more about your reputation at your past jobs, and how they think you'd fit into the team dynamic.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    I did freelance for about a year, then I've worked at one company for about 5 months, then did freelance for about the same ammount of time and now I've been on my new job for 5 months so far, still going strong though.

I've had good teammates on both teams, main thing is try and get excited about the game early on, and have a positive attitude, the game may not be badass from the start, it'll be what you make of it, so always have a positive outlook, everyone likes positive people, just don't overdo it.

Management is tricky, best thing to do at the start is to stay out of their way and try not to bash them too much if you end up leaving and don't like the way things were run, don't burn bridges.

Expanding your art can also be tricky, depending on what job you have, if what you do at work is what you want to do for the next 5-10 years, great, if not, well make time and do what you want to be doing eventually. For me that meant doing contract and personal work and get 2 hours of sleep every day, not fun, but it paid off in the end.

Learning new tech can be intimidating, when i started at Ritual I've had to learn 3 different engines and their pipelines simultaneously within the first 2 months. Don't be intimidated, most engines work in similar fassions, once you know one you can figure out the rest.

Main thing is, be a team player, don't be a dick, respect other people's work and work hard yourself, everything else will come. Seems simple enough. Your first job may not be the best thing ever, and most likely it won't, but just live with it, and work towards what you really want to do. I've heard alot about people that can't find a good place to work so they hop around from place to place, it seems I've done that quite a bit, but it really doesn't matter, if settling down is your thing work towards being in a stable company (M$ owned is the best way to go I hear) if not find the company that will suit your personality and make the kind of games you like and go there.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Here are some nice things to keep in mind.

Never Talk about salary:
    Just don't do this. The only person who really knows how much I make is my father and my older cousin. <u>Never share this info with anyone you work with, or anyone who could tell people that you work with.</u> Don't even drop hints. This almost always causes problems. no one needs to learn this the hard way.

Anxiety problems at work:
    If you have a high stress environment think back your priorities:

Your employment agreement that you signed asks you to create the art that has been asigned to you, if you find yourself worrying about something go back to this: "what does this have to do with my primary responsibility to make art?" If the answer is not much it probably shouldn't be concerning you so much.

Treat Everyone with Respect:
    Seems kinda self explanitory, but trash talking (especially behind someone's back) is how uncomfortable working environmnets start, and it's generally not the best thing to do in any situation, but most especially at work.

I can't think of anything else atm.

-R
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    Great advice from all of you, I will take it to heart when I get to start a career in the industry. Let's hear some more!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Find a niche and get good at it.

Have a good work ethic. Work hard. By that I dont mean work all hours God sends, but work smart and use your time wisely and efficiently. To be seen playing games during the day or browsing a lot probably isn't going to be a good idea. So get good with Alt-Tab ;-P

Be nice and try not to make enemies. Especially in management.

Tempting though it is sometimes when a project isn't going well, try not to be seen to be overly negative/bitching about the project and or co. Management dislike team members that lower morale, so that's a surefire way to gain a rep as a 'bad egg' and not get raises and besides, that's what lunchtimes are for smile.gif If you do have a major bitch that you just have to bring up, be diplomatic and try to offer a solution.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Oh how I miss those EA lunches. smile.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i know a certain individual, and fellow polycounter in fact, that has a very practical way of dealing with annoying management and co-workers:

a headbutt.
    "i quit, you fucking cunt".

friday is your day my man. take a deep breath (friday is considered weekend in israel wink.gif - and go for it!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    USE YOUR VACATION TIME

I've seen many people get burnt out where they work (any industry, not just games) because they don't take time off.

Don't worry, it comes back to you. Take time off, go on vacation, enjoy life.

Take random days off to just sit around.

If you hit an artist block, go and drive around. Go to the mall, best buy, etc. Get your mind off of things. I'd rather spend 1 hour driving around town, then coming back and working 1 hour inspired, than spend 2 hours staring at my screen, frustrated.

That's my main advice to staying sane in our field.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Find a comfortable chair. Seriously.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Dont Stop learning!!!!.... this is a lesson i have learned from working with people that have been in the industry for awhile...they did stop learning.. and now they are just dead weight.. once your dead weight your pretty much done.. learn the new features of a program when it comes out.. reguardless of if you will use them at work.. one day you might... also new technologies.. right now with normal maps and 7-8 grand polycounts for "next gen" titles.. start thinking about highpoly stuff, keeping quads and shaders.. if not you might find yourself slowly falling down the latter just to find work you know how to do.. now handhelds are as powerfull as consoles were only a generation ago... you might try and dodge the tech by moving down.. but what happens when cellphones can handle the current tech?? just from seeing all the dead wieght that accumulates from ignorance and lack of simple self instruction it might be something that could make or break you in the industry...
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Learn to deal with stress. And ye, get a comfy chair as Adam says.;)

/Palm
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    <
    Surely not the only one listening. How difficult is it to stay on the Tech Curve when being so busy with daily work? DO you guys get slapped with "Hey, we're going next gen, figure this stuff out."?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    don't talk to hr, they're a management tool..
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    <
    Surely not the only one listening. How difficult is it to stay on the Tech Curve when being so busy with daily work? DO you guys get slapped with "Hey, we're going next gen, figure this stuff out."?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really the arugument for falling behind.. no time to learn with a family or a life outside of work.. i consider my job important enough to spend maybe only a day every two weeks.. hell, a day a month is all it really takes to go over some new stuff... i went over all the new new features in max 7 the day it came out.. and its not really like those have changed in the last 6 monthes.. just try to learn something everynow and then.. and its not like there is some secret reposatory for this information ... its all free and on the internet!!! from making normal maps to programming HLSL shaders.. everything.. from art to code can be found for free someplace.. i really see no excuse to not keep up.. its just a matter of being lazy.. think of all the work you might have gone through to get the the point you are now.. now divide that by a 1000 and thats the minascule amount of work you really have to put into keeping up with the tech.. i dont even think this should be a real worry if it wasnt for the lazy people in the industry who simply refuse to learn something new.. its really their own fault.. and should not be a concern of anyone truly passionate about what they do..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Amen to what Arsh said. ^^^
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what paul steed once told me: "If you need someone to teach you this stuff you will not make it in this industry."

gotta teach yourself, the more tech stuff you know the more valuable you will become, don't be an art asset/tool, be a member of a team, an actual developer, learn the tech, its not hard, hell learn to script or code, it won't stop you from being a good artist, it'll give you more freedom to do what you want, more freedom to let your artistic abilities grow, and the more they grow and the more technical knowledge you obtain the more valuable you will become in the industry, be carefull to not become the jack of all trades though, for that is the path that leads to the dark side.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Keeping a job is not a complex science. Try to get along with people, be nice, have fun, stay away from morons... just like in that thing called RealLife

How to deal with people specifically depends on the people you deal with. If you consider some as good friends you can even talk about salaries. Never say never.
    Nobody can really help you there, use your brain and own judgement.

As for the tech and general learning, there's usually a dead period after finishing a game (etc). Either companies give you time off or the concept phase is pretty loose. Enough time to catch up on anything you need to know for the next project.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Never Talk about salary:
    Just don't do this. The only person who really knows how much I make is my father and my older cousin. <u>Never share this info with anyone you work with, or anyone who could tell people that you work with.</u> Don't even drop hints. This almost always causes problems. no one needs to learn this the hard way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I read a good article about young poeple dont know what to say to the desired salaries in interviews. Often they are dirt-cheap because they where not brave enough to say a higher salary. However, onereason for this is that the sociaty we live in NEVER talks about salaray. I think its good if you are a fukcing broker and get 5000 a amonth or something. nobody is intrested in that. But if you want to start as a junior, then ask somebody freely waht salary he has. I think thats ok. Money is money, it not bad its not good.

heh, I went off topic a bit.. wink.gif

I think that everywhere where creative people work in a team you must be a good teamplayer. Always keep in mind that you work with artists. artists are just a species off their own. smile.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Amen to what Arsh said. ^^^

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You can either neglect it for long periods of time and play catch up, or you can keep ontop of it a little at a time. If you haven't learned something yet don't shy away from it. At least investigate it and maybe play around with it. If you do have to use it you are ready to go.

If you wait for someone to come over to your desk, put thier hand over yours and guide the mouse around the screen it's too late. You already have a "this end up" sticker on your forehead and are waiting to be shipped off to "nojobville". This is true for almost any job, self starters are good employees. Lazybob Mc Donothing's normally get to feel what winter is like on the streets.
  • Ribking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ribking polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The biggest thing I would say is be open and honest.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd have to say that this can be a bit tricky. I've known people who were open and honest with people (without being a dickhead) who soon found themselves jobless. Sometimes circumstances are that your immediate superiors don't seem to have a good grasp on things, and they may rely on you and your good ethics and hard work to make them look good to their immediate superiors. It becomes a case by case judgment call. Being open and honest may not be the best thing to do all the time.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    also for luck,every year kill 1 hobo with a hammer. wink.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    give your hands a stretch and break every now and then smile.gif

When it gets to 3pm and that afternoon tiredness kicks in , breath through your mouth deaply and focus on somthing far away. haha
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    good topic. And terribly relevant to me now. Just got called for my first interview, going to LA next week. Needless to say I'm terribly excited. also
    [ QUOTE ]
    be carefull to not become the jack of all trades though, for that is the path that leads to the dark side.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now were you just being sarcastic there Mr. Rockstar or is there some form of truth to that? I'm curious as that is sort of my aim. To know enough and be skilled enough in any area of game design to be able to work in it, or at least communicate effetively with the members of that department. (Ie eventually be effective intelligent managament)
  • Dravalen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dravalen polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Now were you just being sarcastic there Mr. Rockstar or is there some form of truth to that? I'm curious as that is sort of my aim. To know enough and be skilled enough in any area of game design to be able to work in it, or at least communicate effetively with the members of that department. (Ie eventually be effective intelligent managament)

[/ QUOTE ]

[disclaimer]I don't have any industry experiece, I'm just relating what people have told me[/disclaimer]

If you focus on many things, you won't be really good at any of them. Employers want to hire people who are the best at what they do, rather than someone who can do a bunch of things but not at the same level, plus it's hard to work on multiple things at the same time. For instance why I'm focusing on network programming as opposed to a whole host of other topics.

While I understand that train of though I also think that being familiar with another discipline is something of worth as well. Hence why I frequent this board even though I focus mostly on programming smile.gif.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well heres the thing, nowadays gamedevelopment, like many other industries is becoming heavilly specialized, its good to KNOW other areas, but be really good at one of them, that gives you the edge over other people and considering how unstable the industry might be it will help being really good at something. Although there are positions for generalistis, but if you're a generalist that doesn't mean just knowing other fields, it means being good enough in all the fields so you can step in and help out just about anywhere, and also bridge communication between the coders and artists, which is a very important task. Considering art is not like riding a bike, you must practice all the time in order to progress and not lose your skills keeping on top of everything may be fairly difficult.

My advice is ... learn the other areas and what they do, and how its done, but completely focus on one thing that you like most and try to go for that specific thing as your job, knowing other stuff will be a nice bonus that'll once again put you on top of other applicants smile.gif

hope that explains it, let me know if you have any more questions.