Home Technical Talk

buying max 6?

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod

I'm currently in a competition called dare to be digital, where 8 teams compete over 9 weeks to create a game. We're lumbered with max 5 at the moment, and numerous bugs and improvements in later max versions are making us long for an upgrade.
Unfortunately the version of renderware we are using isn't compatible with max 7, so we really want max 6. The problem is finding somewhere to buy it as everywhere we've looked seems to be selling max 7.. Any advice on where to get 2 (legal) copies of max 6 (fairly) soonish would be much appreciated!

Replies

• CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    have you asked the resellers ?
    often they wont put it on the list but its still available

I was able to upgrade my max to a non-recent version just fine
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Might look at ebay as well, just make sure that you don't bid on an upgrade instead of the full version.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest I wouldn't really trust buying Max off eBay, it's likely to be dodgy... unless they have real photos of the actual box and stuff.

Renderware and Dare, eh? What sort of game are you making?
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Might look at ebay as well, just make sure that you don't bid on an upgrade instead of the full version.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This actually isn't legal since you cannot resell 3ds max. I asked around about that the other day because I were able to buy a used 3ds max licence for very little frown.gif
    It forbids resale very clear in the EULA.
    Silly rule.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what is the connection between legal and EULA though? is it 100% binding?

mop: we're making a fish game, kind of a virtual pet aquarium except with a lot more depth than say catz and dogz.. the focus is on genetics and customising fish through breeding, and giving them simple sims like interactions
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the EULA is 100% binding, if I remember right, someone like KDR_11k (who seems to know this stuff) said that most EULA decrees are overridden by European law (and I guess UK too).

If he glances at this thread, he might be able to shed some more light on this...

Breeding stuff sounds pretty cool, rooster... I'll be interested to see how the final game turns out! Hope it's better than... Demon Lore!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hehe me too, but to be fair I believe they only had one 2nd year artist with little animation experience, and coded it from scratch. seeing how difficult it is just to use an SDK like renderware let alone from scratch, I definately appreciate their work a little more from this point of view laugh.gif. You start with big grand ideas, then you see that 'simple' alpha transparency is causing sorting errors.. its constant compramise
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Aye, true... me and my brother used to code little games a few years back though (he's 2 years older than me), and between us in a few weeks we sometimes had stuff that looked and worked better than that... eh, what do i know. I guess if I decide to do Dare next summer, i'll see smile.gif

It was Sarah Deas who did the art for that, right? Pretty impressive for a 2nd year, for sure. I thought the animation was fine, the models were pretty good too, it was just the texturing that let it down now and then - I had a look at some of the flats, and ... wow ... i'm guessing nobody gets taught how to UV-map?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    heh nope we never once recieved that lesson.. pretty big oversight!
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know what You think about that ?
    http://www.etanet.biz/catalog/index.html

You can save 69% de price for 3DS MAX 7.5. ( I know You're looking for version 6 , but ...)
    960 $ instead 3.145 $ crazy.gif

...is it legal ? ooo.gif